Like Tree1627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Here's the scene as I see it:
It's a party. There is a string quartet playing some Haydn and Mozart pieces. Nice music and everyone is enjoying themselves. Over in the corner by himself sits Beethoven. He looks really bored. He smells funny, bad. He waits until the quartet finishes a pice then walks over, whips out four scoes from his waistcoat and throws them at the 1st violin. The 1st violin looks them over and distributes them to the other musicians. The room is filled with chatter and noise. Glasses clink. The score is Beethoven's Opus 135. The quartet starts in and plays through the first movement. The room begins to go quiet. By the time they finish the fourth movement the room is almost silent. Then they are done, exhausted and the room is truly silent. And it stays silent.

Not sure why I wrote that other than to kind of say, I post those hull lines and the room goes pretty much silent.
Except for Sandy clapping wildly of to one side.

But Beethoven was profoundly deaf by then so he didn't really notice. Not really.
I spent quite a bit of time at the CSR shed a few weeks ago, looking at Francis Lee... I paced back and forth... tilted my head, and just tried to observe the hull shape, and understand it based on the principals in your book..

Now I have the lines to look at as well.. Thank you. This helps me a lot

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

No problem Denda.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Oh yes. I asked the owner of that immaculate Passport 47 how much he paid for her. He said $37K. How does that compare to her initial price tag? How much did he lose by owning her? Some of my 36 footers have sold for nearly that much. Shinola sold for $95 K, to an owner who is very happy with the deal he got.
Brent - you are so obviously full of crap it's pathetic. Here, have a look at the listings for a few Passport 47s:

Passport Yacht for Sale Brokerage - Bluenose Yacht Sales, Charter RI | Bluenose Yacht Sales

There are SEVEN of them on that one page alone. The lowest price is $319K with this little rejoinder:

Quote:
$40,000.00 Dramatic Reduction in Price!

The owner say “This Boat Must be Sold Now!”

Now is your opportunity to acquire this gorgeous Passport 47 at a very deep discount. This is an unbelievable situation and one that seldom happens. The realistic owner wants this boat to be sold now. You can now afford to own this lightly used vessel in beautiful condition.

Either your friend thinks you're an idiot - or you can't hear worth a damn - or he's lying to you to get you out of his hair and watch you make a fool of yourself on SN.

EVERY BS boat we've pulled up for sale is either not selling (Silas Crosby, BS Cutter in Mex) or has been dropping like a stone in price (Xenos, Dove II, BS Pilot House in Mex) - because no one wants them. Silas Crosby has the highest asking price of all these at $73K. And that ain't gonna happen. The only high sale prices we've EVER seen come from your mouth - along with all the other crap you spew.

If you can't prove it...it's BS.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-29-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

When I read BS's post about the $37K I initially thought it was a typo for $370K but reading further I realized he meant it.

A Passport 47 that had been UNDER would sell for more than $37K.

If anyone wants some, help yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-trollspray.jpeg  

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-29-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

From the ad;

Quote:
The Boat is a 36′ steel sailboat named Silas Crosby. We built her over 2 yrs and 3 months and launched in 1994, or thereabouts. We had lots of help. Brent Swain is the designer and he worked for 500 hrs initially , with me helping, to get the hull and deck together.
Hmmmm - 500 hours to do the hull & deck but BS can do a hull in two days - lets be generous and say 2 X 15 hour days or 30 hours.

That leaves 470 hours for the deck - WITH a helper.

Unless that helper was REALLY good at getting in the way, I'd say the numbers don't compute.

I kind of think that the 2 day figure BS keeps throwing out is for just folding the fully prepared metal up and tacking it together - MAYBE fully welding it.

A hell of a long way from building a hull & deck although even 500 hours for a fully welded hull & deck is nothing to sneeze at - I daresay a custom glass hull that size would have 500 hours just in sanding and fairing.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-29-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
From the ad;

Hmmmm - 500 hours to do the hull & deck but BS can do a hull in two days - lets be generous and say 2 X 15 hour days or 30 hours.

That leaves 470 hours for the deck - WITH a helper.

Unless that helper was REALLY good at getting in the way, I'd say the numbers don't compute.

I kind of think that the 2 day figure BS keeps throwing out is for just folding the fully prepared metal up and tacking it together - MAYBE fully welding it.

A hell of a long way from building a hull & deck although even 500 hours for a fully welded hull & deck is nothing to sneeze at - I daresay a custom glass hull that size would have 500 hours just in sanding and fairing.
Oh, SNAP!!!!!
Old 01-30-2014
grumpy old man

Brent must be mistaken. Or, he invented that price and thinks we are dumb enough to actually believe that price. That's a bit insulting. I'm not keen on people who lie.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-30-2014

mstern is on a distinguished road

Bob: back to the lines of your latest creation: I noticed the plans are dated 2010; does it generally take that long between design and construction?
Old 01-30-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Perry designs are extremely rare here in BC. I know of only three.
You're kidding, right?? Look around.....

Quote:
Oh yes. I asked the owner of that immaculate Passport 47 how much he paid for her. He said $37K.
You're kidding, right??

Good Grief......

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-30-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2014
grumpy old man

Stern:
No, generally around 8 mos to a year will be enough to to build a custom boat. But in this case the boat was built at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding so we were subject to the school's schedule with all the school breaks. Finally Kim said enough time and hired four full time professional boatbuilders.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes the design work can start a year before the build. In this case about six months as I recall before the build. I need lead time so I am not chasing the builder.

Faster:
I checked YachtWorld this morning. I found two Passport 47's one was $345,000 and the other, the older model was $275,000. BS is making up his own "facts" again.

As for only three Perry designs in all of BC BS is totally delusional. But I don't trust him where any numbers are involved. He admits to having a problem with math. He should be here any moment. I think his shift at the 7-11 ends around 3pm.

I almost forgot:
Shin nyen quy ler!
Happy Chinese New Year

Or if you prefer Cantonese:
Gong hay fat choy!

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 01-30-2014 at 05:54 PM.