Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1721Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I've never seen nor heard of a Cheoy Lee built in steel. Any I have seen were plastic with teak ( dead vegetation ) foolishly bolted all over it.
Well, here you go Brent - now you have:

The 44.8m Motor Yacht MARCO POLO by Cheoy Lee Shipyards - Charter World Luxury Yacht Charters on Superyachts

I never said anything about a sailing yacht..
Old 01-30-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
Here's a question that is probably a little more in line with the thread subject. How badly does a steel boat affect compass deviation compared to other hull materials? And does a steel hull affect autopilot systems that have those compass computers?
We had a compass adjuster named Captain Barber on one of my boats, swinging the compass. He had some interesting points to make . When asked about flux gate compasses, he said "Those make more work for me than they take away. A steel boat will swing a compass at 100 yards. People buy the flux gate at huge expense, give up trying to get them to work, then give me a call." He said the balls work upright, but heeling throws them out. What it takes to deal with heeling is a magnet dead centre, right below the compass.
He said the dome compasses have a power factor of about 8. Card compasses ,the Seattle made Dirigo being one of the best , have a power factor of about 400 .
When asked to check out a Dirigo, he took his steel tape measure and moved it towards, and away from the compass. He said if you pull the compass of course and it goes right back to where it was, the pins are good. If it stays off a by a few degrees, the pins are worn. One way to avoid damaging the pins is to mount it on foam rubber, as vibration is what dulls the pins. However, I believe the constant motion of a sailboat at sea will nullify the effect of resistance in the pins. Flat sea in a fog bank in our protected inside waters may be a problem with a sticky compass tho.
I have found my Autohelm very forgiving in its proximity to steel . It has never locked in . I have heard other brands like Tillermaster and Navico have problems in a steel boat. One of my 36 footers had the autohelm along side the wheelhouse side, 3 inches from the steel with no problems, going from BC, to Mexico, to Hawaii, to Alaska and home again. Other brands , I have been told, would not work so close to steel.
With GPS, you can check your compass on any course, by comparing it to the GPS, and writing it down,. not an option in the past.
With an autopilot, sometimes the buttons stick, throwing the helm hard over. Usually this happens when you first turn them on. I suspect that may be what happened when pleasure boats suddenly swung 90 degrees into the path of BC ferries in recent years, resulting in several deaths.One should never use an autopilot ,unattended, in crowded waters .
Thanks for the question on the subject of steel boats. Its a breath of fresh air, after Bob's frequent name calling , baby pictures, pool pictures, food and booze postings, plastic boat postings , and constant attempts to change the subject to something which has nothing to do with the original question, all to cover his almost complete lack of knowledge of steel boats.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-30-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Cheoy Lee has been a big shipyard in Hong Kong for many years. They have built just about anything you can imagine including a lot of commercial vessels.. But don't confuse Brent with reality. He has trouble with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 01-30-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Ask the guy on the Passport 47 ( Adeso)at the gas dock in Comox how much he paid for her. He will tell you the same thing he told me. $137K
Aahh.... so now we're moving from $37K to $137K...getting closer!.. another couple of hours and another $100K?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-30-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Brent went back and edited his previous post on the price. Probably another one of his "typos". Like a LPS of 182 degrees.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Comox? That's where my new consultation client lives. He had some choice words to say about Brent's boats. But to each his own I guess.

"On my hulls, there is zero fairing to do. "
So what you are saying is that you get a really smooth funny looking boat.
Great.
So get him to ask the price of the Passport 47.
Will he keep his Perry Design in Comox ? Great , we can have our demolition derby! Ask him how many of my boats are here. I can think of eleven. One more in Campbell river, three on Quadra, one more in Deep bay. Then ask him how may of your designs are in the area.
Old 01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Aahh.... so now we're moving from $37K to $137K...getting closer!.. another couple of hours and another $100K?
When I said Shinola was almost as much, at $95K, it was obviously a typo. Obvious to the awake, and booze free. Not obvious to you guys . I overestimated your awareness.

$137 K is along way from the lowest price of $319K Smack gives.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-30-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've never seen nor heard of a Cheoy Lee built in steel. Any I have seen were plastic with teak ( dead vegetation ) foolishly bolted all over it.
Jeezzus Brent, don't you EVER stop?

We get it, we really, really do.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-30-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I worked a couple of weeks in June of that year getting the shell together. Then a couple of weeks of detail work There is no way I worked 3 months of 40 hour weeks on Silas Crosby. I went cruising most of that summer. I haven't worked that much since the mid 70s
I put the decks on a 36 on Quadra Island ,after digging the plate out of the tall grass, uncut, in 8 hours .Ask Dale Deforest of NY Olympia how long it took to get the shell together. 2 days for the hull. The steel came Thursday afternoon, and by 11 pm Friday the hull was together, the longitudinals and bulwark caps on, and the transom in .Decks took a day.
Yes, that is just tacked together , but instead of the 180 feet of chine welds you would have to do on a triple chine hull ,you have only 28 feet of chine, total, to weld and grind. A round bilged hull would be far more seams to cut weld and grind. On my hulls, there is zero fairing to do.

Then you could always ask a plastic boat builder if he could built a plastic 36 ft shell for the $9K in steel it takes to do the shell of a 36. Welding rod is an extra $350.
So you seem to be saying that your clients statement that agree with your stories are true but if they don't agree with your stories they are lying?

Did you or did you not spend 500 hours working with the owner of Silas to get the hull & deck welded up?

Yes or no - we don't need a long diatribe on the wonders of your method.

Just a simple yes or no please.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbottles View Post
That yacht designer was named Lewis Francis Herreshoff, son of Nathanael Greene Herreshoff.

But this vessel is named after my late Father; Francis Lee McKee Bottles. That seemed a bit long so I settled on "Francis Lee".

(But I do admit as a long time admirer of LFH's designs I did notice the similarity.)
Francis Herreschoff wrote a great book called "The common sense of Yacht Design" containing lot of common sense and logic , the antithesis some of the crap being posted here.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-30-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Closed Thread