Not a Member? 

Like Tree1722Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

So you have 11 ugly boats, visual blights on the environment. I wouldn't say that was an advantage. If I lived on that bay and had to look at those droopy piles of rust I'd be pissed.

"Demolition derby"? Are you kidding me? Do you think that's what this is about? You stoop lower and lower. I can tell you now that my client's ideas of yachting and cruising do not involve a "demolition derby" with one of your crusty and rusty home built monstrosities. What's there to damage?

I really, sincerely think that LFH (it is not "francois" you dimwit) would have taken offense at your boats. We'll never know of course but LFH was the master of aesthetics. He drew very beautiful yachts. I'm going to take it on myself to be insulted for LFH (He can't be here) that you would ever dream of associating yourself with his work. Preposterous! A pox on you!

But always fun to watch you twist in the wind. You are entertaining.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 01-30-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
So you have 11 ugly boats, visual blights on the environment. I wouldn't say that was an advantage. If I lived on that bay and had to look at those droopy piles of rust I'd be pissed.

"Demolition derby"? Are you kidding me? Do you think that's what this is about? You stoop lower and lower. I can tell you now that my client's ideas of yachting and cruising do not involve a "demolition derby" with one of your crusty and rusty home built monstrosities. What's there to damage?

I really, sincerely think that LFH (it is not "francois" you dimwit) would have taken offense at your boats. We'll never know of course but LFH was the master of aesthetics. He drew very beautiful yachts. I'm going to take it on myself to be insulted for LFH (He can't be here) that you would ever dream of associating yourself with his work. Preposterous! A pox on you!

But always fun to watch you twist in the wind. You are entertaining.
And this is the Bob who complains about others "name calling." He doesn't consider the above "Name calling"? Where does that leave his credibility? He is also the one who never does typos? Ya sure!
There is no more accurate way to determine structural strength that a demolition derby . Bob squirms away from that, an admission that he knows full well that his boats wouldn't stand a chance against the superior structural strength of my designs . He prefers Briex style numbers crunching ,to reality, knowing reality will quickly expose the fallacy of his creative accounting .
Sounds like ''Hit the bottle " time of night for Bob. Take it easy on that stuff Bob. It has screwed up enough lives already!
Bob , stop being so angry! You are foaming at the mouth!

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-31-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
So you seem to be saying that your clients statement that agree with your stories are true but if they don't agree with your stories they are lying?

Did you or did you not spend 500 hours working with the owner of Silas to get the hull & deck welded up?

Yes or no - we don't need a long diatribe on the wonders of your method.

Just a simple yes or no please.
NO . I did not spend 500 hours on Silas Crosby . I spent nowhere near that amount of time. He hired others to work on her, and did a lot himself.
Old 01-30-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Brent went back and edited his previous post on the price. Probably another one of his "typos". Like a LPS of 182 degrees.
Not to worry. It's still in his quote in my post. The dude is one seriously shifty bonehead.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-30-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
And this is the Bob who complains about others "name calling." He doesn't consider the above "Name calling"? Where does that leave his credibility? He is also the one who never does typos? Ya sure!
There is no more accurate way to determine structural strength that a demolition derby . Bob squirms away from that, an admission that he knows full well that his boats wouldn't stand a chance against the superior structural strength of my designs . He prefers Briex style numbers crunching ,to reality, knowing reality will quickly expose the fallacy of his creative accounting .
Sounds like ''Hit the bottle " time of night for Bob. Take it easy on that stuff Bob. It has screwed up enough lives already!
Bob doesn't lie. You do. Effusively. Actually, I've never seen anything like it. It's fascinating how easily and how much you lie. It really is.

You're building quite a legacy for yourself.

Old 01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Not to worry. It's still in his quote in my post. The dude is one seriously shifty bonehead.
And they accuse me of name calling? Smack doesn't consider the above "Name calling?" And still; he calls me a liar?"
So where does that leave his credibility?
One should bear in mind, when reading Smacks posts, that he is someone with absolutely zero experience in owning, maintaining, building, or long term cruising in a steel boat, just like his hero Bob. Yet he speaks with assumed authority on the subject ? And after that, he calls me a liar?
Getting any of your steel boat info from either is a huge mistake. You'd be wiser to get it from someone with at least some experience in the subject matter , preferably a lot of such experience .

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-30-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2014
grumpy old man

Chill Brent. Relax. You are getting upset. I think I see spittle in the corners of your mouth.

Yeah, I admit it I was a bit mean in that last post but I felt the need to do it Brent style. But you go on and on about name calling. I called you a "dimwit". You are a dimwit. You demonstrate it every day. If you go back to the BD forum you have been proving your stupidity for well over ten years. It never ends. You never learn. You never "get it".

Hey Smackers:
Am I really your hero?
That's cool. Do I get a special suit?
Can I fly?

No, no way. None of my clients are interested in a "demolition derby?. I'm not "squirming away" from it. I just think it's one of the silliest ideas I have ever heard. Do you really think an owner of a nice looking boat is remotely interested in having a "demolition derby" with one of your,,,things? That is some weird world you live in where boat owners hold demolition derbies. I've never seen it.

But the sad fact is you do lie. You lie and then "edit" the lie. Or you claim it was a typo. But in the end they are just BS. You make things up like ten year old. And the really sad thing is that you expect us to buy your lies. That is insulting.
We can have a great heated debate without lies.

I have given you credit for what you do. You help the beans and rice crowd build a hulk. That's great. Why don't you just enjoy that. Why do you find it necessary to attack everyone who finds a different way of enjoying sailing. You have called us all kinds of names so don't whine about name calling now. How about this adult idea: If you don't want to be called names, then don't call people names. If you want to call names then shut up when you are called names.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 01-30-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We had a compass adjuster named Captain Barber on one of my boats, swinging the compass. He had some interesting points to make . When asked about flux gate compasses, he said "Those make more work for me than they take away. A steel boat will swing a compass at 100 yards. People buy the flux gate at huge expense, give up trying to get them to work, then give me a call." He said the balls work upright, but heeling throws them out. What it takes to deal with heeling is a magnet dead centre, right below the compass.
He said the dome compasses have a power factor of about 8. Card compasses ,the Seattle made Dirigo being one of the best , have a power factor of about 400 .
When asked to check out a Dirigo, he took his steel tape measure and moved it towards, and away from the compass. He said if you pull the compass of course and it goes right back to where it was, the pins are good. If it stays off a by a few degrees, the pins are worn. One way to avoid damaging the pins is to mount it on foam rubber, as vibration is what dulls the pins. However, I believe the constant motion of a sailboat at sea will nullify the effect of resistance in the pins. Flat sea in a fog bank in our protected inside waters may be a problem with a sticky compass tho.
I have found my Autohelm very forgiving in its proximity to steel . It has never locked in . I have heard other brands like Tillermaster and Navico have problems in a steel boat. One of my 36 footers had the autohelm along side the wheelhouse side, 3 inches from the steel with no problems, going from BC, to Mexico, to Hawaii, to Alaska and home again. Other brands , I have been told, would not work so close to steel.
With GPS, you can check your compass on any course, by comparing it to the GPS, and writing it down,. not an option in the past.
With an autopilot, sometimes the buttons stick, throwing the helm hard over. Usually this happens when you first turn them on. I suspect that may be what happened when pleasure boats suddenly swung 90 degrees into the path of BC ferries in recent years, resulting in several deaths.One should never use an autopilot ,unattended, in crowded waters .
Thanks for the question on the subject of steel boats. Its a breath of fresh air, after Bob's frequent name calling , baby pictures, pool pictures, food and booze postings, plastic boat postings , and constant attempts to change the subject to something which has nothing to do with the original question, all to cover his almost complete lack of knowledge of steel boats.
You're welcome for the subject contents but you really didn't answer my questions.

How badly does a steel boat affect compass deviation compared to other hull materials? And does a steel hull affect autopilot systems that have those compass computers?

You gave some info on swinging the compass and even mentioned the balls, but can they be compensated to minimal deviation when mounted in a steel hull as well as in other materials. I know you have no love for, nor experience with "plastics" or wood so I'm not sure you can answer this.

Some fellow intimated that fluxgate compasses are worthless on a steel hull. Aren't those the type of compasses that many autohelms use? I could be mistaken in that.
You said "I have found my Autohelm very forgiving in its proximity to steel ." but you didn't mention a brand. Are there autohelms that are manufactured specifically for use in a steel hull?

Your last paragraph was useless. You placed me on Bob and Smack's team earlier if you will recall.
Old 01-30-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
And they accuse me of name calling? Smack doesn't consider the above "Name calling?" And still; he calls me a liar?"
So where does that leave his credibility?
One should bear in mind, when reading Smacks posts, that he is someone with absolutely zero experience in owning, maintaining, building, or long term cruising in a steel boat, just like his hero Bob. Yet he speaks with assumed authority on the subject ? And after that, he calls me a liar?
Getting any of your steel boat info from either is a huge mistake. You'd be wiser to get it from someone with at least some experience in the subject matter , preferably a lot of such experience .
But you do lie Brent. Relentlessly. I've shown that to be true countless times in this thread - using your own contradicting claims to prove it. To you...it's always just a "typo" (when you're caught) - or the reader just not being able to grasp your brilliance and misconstruing your true meaning. But it's really just a lie. Always. Everyone...except you...can see that.

This is not at all "name calling". It's been clearly proven in this thread countless times. For example, look at the tool list you just submitted above as all one would need to buy to build a BS boat. Completely untrue. Is that a "typo"?

My heroes are usually people with talent, confidence, knowledge, humor, honesty, and kindness. Bob has shown these things in spades (as have many others on this forum).

You've got a little bit of talent in a couple of minimal areas.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-30-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2014
grumpy old man

So, if I read this correctly I don't get a cape or any kind of special suit, no pointy ears and I can kiss any hope of flying out the window.

I've put up with a lot of BS here. I deserve some powers. Bolts of lightening out of my fingers or something like that. I want powers.

Shitski, back to the same old same old real word.
But what about my avatar?

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 01-30-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Closed Thread