mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Brent missed a chapter in his book called "Navigation."

Old 01-31-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Who put that rock there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 01-31-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Brent missed a chapter in his book called "Navigation."

If one thing has been proven in this thread, it's Brent's main selling point...

"If you have a steel boat, you don't need to know how to navigate or sail. Just bounce off of stuff until you get there.)
mitiempo likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-31-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2014
grumpy old man

And yes, for the record I am running away from a demolition derby.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-31-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Bobs theory is if you would just built them fragile enough, that sort of thing just wouldn't happen. Does any experienced cruiser actually believe that? What sort of damage would that rock have done to one of Bobs plastic boats ?Unless you believe his boats never go aground perhaps Bob can tel us of extreme torture tests, such as my boats have survived, which his have survived .No answer ? Conclusion. There are none!
Smack called me a liar for saying Bob designed the Reliance. Bob said he did design the Reliance. So who is the liar?
Old 01-31-2014
Banned

[QUOTE=bobperry;1362873]So you have 11 ugly boats, visual blights on the environment. I wouldn't say that was an advantage. If I lived on that bay and had to look at those droopy piles of rust I'd be pissed.

11 is one more than Smack gives for the total number on the planet, in a small area ,for boats which have fanned out across the planet. Where does that leave Smack's credibility?
Your Comox friend can confirm that a picture of one of my 36 footers was put on lamp posts across Comox to beautify the town, for several years. They have also shown up on postcards here . Seems your opinion is a tiny minority one.
I have never seen a town do that with a Perry design.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-31-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
You mean that's not a real picture of you?
No, its copyright infringement, for which he will get the bill later, and pass it on to his clients.
Old 01-31-2014
Banned

[QUOTE=bobperry;1363081]

Hey Smackers:
Am I really your hero?
The term "Blond Groupie" comes to mind. That would be more accurate!
Old 01-31-2014

Martinjf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
We had a compass adjuster named Captain Barber on one of my boats, swinging the compass. He had some interesting points to make . When asked about flux gate compasses, he said "Those make more work for me than they take away. A steel boat will swing a compass at 100 yards. People buy the flux gate at huge expense, give up trying to get them to work, then give me a call." He said the balls work upright, but heeling throws them out. What it takes to deal with heeling is a magnet dead centre, right below the compass.
He said the dome compasses have a power factor of about 8. Card compasses ,the Seattle made Dirigo being one of the best , have a power factor of about 400 .
When asked to check out a Dirigo, he took his steel tape measure and moved it towards, and away from the compass. He said if you pull the compass of course and it goes right back to where it was, the pins are good. If it stays off a by a few degrees, the pins are worn. One way to avoid damaging the pins is to mount it on foam rubber, as vibration is what dulls the pins. However, I believe the constant motion of a sailboat at sea will nullify the effect of resistance in the pins. Flat sea in a fog bank in our protected inside waters may be a problem with a sticky compass tho.
I have found my Autohelm very forgiving in its proximity to steel . It has never locked in . I have heard other brands like Tillermaster and Navico have problems in a steel boat. One of my 36 footers had the autohelm along side the wheelhouse side, 3 inches from the steel with no problems, going from BC, to Mexico, to Hawaii, to Alaska and home again. Other brands , I have been told, would not work so close to steel.
With GPS, you can check your compass on any course, by comparing it to the GPS, and writing it down,. not an option in the past.
With an autopilot, sometimes the buttons stick, throwing the helm hard over. Usually this happens when you first turn them on. I suspect that may be what happened when pleasure boats suddenly swung 90 degrees into the path of BC ferries in recent years, resulting in several deaths.One should never use an autopilot ,unattended, in crowded waters .
Thanks for the question on the subject of steel boats. Its a breath of fresh air, after Bob's frequent name calling , baby pictures, pool pictures, food and booze postings, plastic boat postings , and constant attempts to change the subject to something which has nothing to do with the original question, all to cover his almost complete lack of knowledge of steel boats.
Trying to follow this, forgive my lack of understanding. What is compass power factor?
Old 01-31-2014
grumpy old man

Brent:
It seems you have gone over the edge. You are really making no sense at all. Probably a result of the concussions you sufferred doing floating demoplition derbies.

If you are happy with your aesthetics that's great. You don' seem happy with much else.

BTW:
I went down the FRANCIS LEE this morning and took freeboards. We are floating 421 lbs. light with a .25 degree bow down trim with one man in the cockpit. Tanks are empty, no sails and several dodads to add yet but we will be very, very close to the designed weight.

Bob's Blog ....

Closed Thread