Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1721Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Time to go cruising!
Judging by your bitterness, your anger, your lack of friends, your being isolated on a small steel sailboat in the same area all year long...

"Cruising"

MikeJohns and bobperry like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-02-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2014

desert rat is on a distinguished road

smack one of your better efforts. Has a level of subtly as well as considerable 60's class.
Old 02-02-2014

jak3b is on a distinguished road

There was a time I was interested in building my own boat and doing the world cruising lifestyle thing but that time has passed. The Swainiac has cured me of all desire to build an Origami boat with his expansive attitude and salty charm.I love sailing though,I have done it all my life and will continue to do so till I physicaly can not.Of that I am sure.When I was a young un' I wanted to be Joshua Slocum or Bernard Moitessier and roam the oceans alone in my own boat that I built with my own hands.A solitary existance.I like people though.I get along with them.They are fun.City life can be fun to.I like all that his has to offer.I found that a balanced life is much more rewarding.I find long distance travel alot of fun in a jet.I can go any where in the world in about 24 hours or less.Stay in a nice hotel and eat good food I didnt have to cook.I get paid to work on boats,I like it,As far as materials I prefer to work with wood because it is a pleasent medium to work in.It smells good,Its beautiful.Not that it is 'better'.Everything has its place.Its all good in the long run.Something The Swainiac cant seem to wrap his mind around.
Old 02-02-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

^^^^This!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-02-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Hey Jak:
Do you know these guys:
http://classics.robb...eubau/index.php

They do some exquisite work in wood.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 02-02-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3b View Post
I find long distance travel a lot of fun in a jet.
Agree completely with your post except this ^ bit.

It used to be fun & exciting. I used to like it so much that I would go out to the airport periodically just to have a drink and soak in the energy of the place.

It's all been spoiled by all the fake security procedures and the cattle car interiors of the planes. It gets worse every time I fly it seems. Now it's just an endurance test.

There was a great bit on the old Dharma & Greg comedy. Greg's father was mega rich and Dharma's father was an old hippy. They were traveling on the same plane - one in first (or "ruling class") and one in economy. Greg's dad decided to go back and talk to her dad. He goes through the curtain and you hear him say;

"My God, they pack you people in like sardines back here".

I guess I need to travel in ruling class from now on.
Brent Swain likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-02-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I make it very clear with my clients that I'm just too tall to fly "coach". For me it's painful.
But first class ain't what it used to be either. I can remember them carving tenderloin roast beef from a cart next to the seat on one flight to Paris. Now the big difference between coach and first food service is that you get s.s. knives and forks in first.

I used to enjoy flying too. But the novelty wore off.
Brent Swain likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 02-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Hey Jak:
Do you know these guys:
http://classics.robb...eubau/index.php

They do some exquisite work in wood.
Whats that link again Bob?,I'll check it out.
Old 02-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Agree completely with your post except this ^ bit.

It used to be fun & exciting. I used to like it so much that I would go out to the airport periodically just to have a drink and soak in the energy of the place.

It's all been spoiled by all the fake security procedures and the cattle car interiors of the planes. It gets worse every time I fly it seems. Now it's just an endurance test.

There was a great bit on the old Dharma & Greg comedy. Greg's father was mega rich and Dharma's father was an old hippy. They were traveling on the same plane - one in first (or "ruling class") and one in economy. Greg's dad decided to go back and talk to her dad. He goes through the curtain and you hear him say;

"My God, they pack you people in like sardines back here".

I guess I need to travel in ruling class from now on.
Yup this is true. I have had good experiences with Jet Blue and Virgin America flying coast to coast.Great non-stops, no frills,but great staff,on time service and very clean, new planes. When I travel to Asia I fly on Eva Air in the deluxe class, Its a business class seat and leg room with coach service.I flew to Asia on North West once and vowed I would swim there rather than fly them again.And shudder to think!, thay are using plastic in building planes!.What if some fukushima debris goes airborn???????
Old 02-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I make it very clear with my clients that I'm just too tall to fly "coach". For me it's painful.
But first class ain't what it used to be either. I can remember them carving tenderloin roast beef from a cart next to the seat on one flight to Paris. Now the big difference between coach and first food service is that you get s.s. knives and forks in first.

I used to enjoy flying too. But the novelty wore off.
Yup, dont really enjoy the actual flying part and the airport hassles myself but I like walking out my door and withen 24 hours I can be in Bangkok.
Closed Thread