Old 02-13-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Making hole in GRP hull..
Look at the first 1 minute of this video

Yachting Monthly's Crash Test Boat is holed Part 1 - YouTube
You could pound for a month on a 3/16th origami hull with those tools, without making much of an impression. Certainly without holing. It is, however, a huge improvement in strength, from wood.
I have heard of sails being dragged under a hull to stop the inflow of water ,with greater success than that shown here.
Old 02-13-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
With steel hulls, the bulkheads become structurally irrelevant...
Really. Where are your calculations on that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-13-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post

Quiet time contemplating a job well done.
Man that rudder looks sooo fragile!
Old 02-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Out:
I agree. There seems to be a pervading lack of confidence in metals boats. This is partly due, I think, to lack of knowledge on the buyer's part and where steel is concerned the general ( not Waterline) crude nature of the boats. If the buyer has come into sailing thru the Catalina, Beneteau type avenue he is most probably not going to be interested in a BS type boat. GRP is so stable a material . I think alu scares people.

Jak:
I thought you would like that. Somebody has a lot of money!
When I was selling my last boat, a marine cop told me " Anyone who would buy a Catalina wouldn't buy your boat, and anyone who would want your boat would never buy a Catalina."
Those who have come into sailing in a good, well built steel cruising boat would never dream of buying anything as flimsy and fragile as a Catalina. Some have upgraded from Catalinas to my boats, and would never consider going back. Style over substance has lost its appeal, in their now, more experienced eyes.
As Malcolm ( who built Bobs Reliances for a while) always told his bluewater cruising classes "Don't buy a Catalina!"
Aluminium is scary! Aluminium welds are never all that reliable, some are full of surprises, and when electrolysis happens on aluminium, it happens very rapidly, with no warning. Steel has far less problems.
Old 02-13-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Aluminium is scary! Aluminium welds are never all that reliable, some are full of surprises, and when electrolysis happens on aluminium, it happens very rapidly, with no warning.
Not nearly as scary as steel welds done by amateurs. You know, pretty much all BS Yachts?

(PS - I was happy to see that the Silas Crosby took my design advice over yours and had 36" life rails. It seems your customers regard my advice pretty highly - even when it's completely ridiculous.)

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-13-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
While I completely agree with your post, I would point out the implication in the phrase "lightweight composite". Often these types of discussions compare a typical steel boat, to a typical production fiberglass boat, and in that comparison the composite boat would clearly not withstand the impact in question.

But it should be pointed out, that if the primary concern is about impact resistance, in a comparison to an equal weight, properly engineered composite or sheathed cold molded wooden boat of the same weight, the composite or CM wood boat would have a much higher impact resistance than the steel boat.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Not a chance! Fir has a tensile and compression strength of 1500 PSI ,steel 60,000 PSI! A 30 calibre bullet which can shoot thru 23 inches of fir can barely make it thru 3/8th plate . 3/8th plate weighs 15.3 lbs per sq ft, 23 inch fir weighs 69 lbs per sq ft .
Old 02-13-2014

Quote:
Some one whose main concern in life is about having their boat damaged by Fukashima debris? As you know better than I, if someone's main concern is about hitting something immovable, or being hit by something that is unstoppable, from an engineering point of view, properly engineered composite or sheathed cold molded hull with an equal stopping power would be lighter than an equal strength steel hull, or by the same token, if, of equal weight, the properly engineered composite or sheathed cold molded hull would be considerably stronger in impact than the steel hull.

Jeff
When you hit a wooden hull, it breaks , when you hit a steel hull, hard enough , it dents, and stretches , absorbing the impact, without breaking and letting the water in.
Old 02-13-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Brent hate to disappoint you but there are more new aluminum sailboats circumnavigating now than steel. Unreliable is clearly a bogus statement. Also try to find an used Dystra aluminum boat for sale. They are snapped up for at or near ask rapidly. Face it Brent you are living in the past. Just like your statements grp boats are leaky. Well made grp boats don't leak and poorly fitted steel boats do. You don't leak through solid decks and hull but rather fittings, ports and other piercings. Hull material is irrelevant.
Old 02-13-2014

Quote:
Gosh- Logs that are 50' long and over 24" in dia. Free lumber. Its like Brent said, there is no cheaper way to build a boat than using salvaged materials. I smell a wooden boat in the offing.
USanians should follow the lead of their national symbol, the bald eagle, a super resourceful ,master scavenger, who can often be seen enjoying fine dining in garbage dumps.
Definitely an "Opportunivore" of great skill and resourcefulness.
Old 02-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
The depreciation of fe boats has been commented on earlier in this thread. Given Brent reports of time and money spent have been questioned have kept an eye out for other information. In this months bws an waterline is asking mid 300s.given new they are around 1m.one wonders if the lost is so severe across the board for metal boats including aluminium.
Unlike plastic ,people who want nothing but a metal boat, have far fewer options to choose from, which makes them easier to sell, at a better price. The market for steel boats is simply not as saturated as it is for plastic boats.