Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1615Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I cant think of anyone, especially married guys ,I would want to trade places with . ( the little head is no longer doing the thinking for the big one)I could be anywhere on the planet I wished to be ,but I am exactly where I choose to be, here in Paradise. Last time I left Tonga, a Portugese cruiser said "You are leaving paradise?" I told him " No . I am leaving Tonga , going to paradise : BC." I still had several months left on my visa, and no shortage of money.
No braying needed for pension .You get it whether you want it or not. Allen Farrel said he was getting far more than he needed. He asked if he could give it back and the govt said "No way!" I told him' "Take every penny they will give you .Then, you can decide who needs it and who to give it to, not them . They would give it to the rich, as they always have done."
Committing totally senseless random acts of kindness is the most pleasure one can get out of money.
Suns beating down, days are warmer and getting longer , summer is ahead of us, missed a beatutiful westerly to get me down the strait yesterday ,but they become more common this time of year, so I'll have another soon, and will continue to enjoy them ,while those who go the Smack route will be in urban traffic jams, trying to obtain the money needed to follow bad advice. It has been a much warmer and dryer winter than I can remember ,while the arctic vortex just keeps sending all that arctic air skedaddling on down to Texas. Does life get any better?
I can always spoil other peoples kids rotten which I have often striven to do (something my father taught me to enjoy). He and one old Swede down the road , took us kids camping ,swimming, hunting , fishing , while other parents did nothing. Their loss.
I know, I know. You're perfectly happy right where you are...

More power to you bro.
chall03 and SloopJonB like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I'm in a good mood today. I just spent three days with my darling granddaughter Violet and tomorrow I am driving to Sea-Tac airport to pick up Will Porter.

Will is a high school junior. His family is currently doing a circumnavigation and they are in Costa Rica now. I have been corresponding with Will for almost a year. He has talent.
Poor kid wants to be a yacht designer. So his Dad arranged for Will to fly up and spend two weeks at my beach shack while I teach him what I can teach him.

I am looking forward to this honor. It will be nice to have a kid in the house again. I have a plan set out for him. When a student leaves my office I want his peers to say, "Wow! you did that?" Will will be a reflection of me when he leaves so I want to send him out there strong and prepared. I will be borderline brutal with him. I have already warned him of that.

So, am I angry and bitter? Yes I am. Yeah, about a few things like the death of my son. But that's to be expected in a normal person. who loses a child they love. About life in general? No, I have Violet to get me over that and I have a grandson due in April. I love having family around. Family and dogs are what makes life enjoyable for me and my work.

I admit it. I do not suffer fools. I have no time for fools. And from my own perspective Brent has proven himself a fool time and time again. Over 10 years of ridicule on the YD forum were enough to prove that. I suspect that Brent does not own a mirror.

What I would really like is for us to come together here, discuss the pros and cons of steel boats without all the personal angst. Show us the boats. Show us the design work. Then we can discuss the merits of each and make up our own minds. I have proiven that I am delighted to post my own work here. I am proud of my work. I don't understand why it has to be attack model all the time. If you want to rebut, then rebut with your work, not your words. Respect each other's contributions. Then let it go at that. If you don't respect a contribution you should be able to voice that without it becoming personal. Keep the subject yacht design and building.

I am not optimistic.
Faster and AlaskaMC like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-21-2014
grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I cant think of anyone, especially married guys ,I would want to trade places with . ( the little head is no longer doing the thinking for the big one)I could be anywhere on the planet I wished to be ,but I am exactly where I choose to be, here in Paradise. Last time I left Tonga, a Portugese cruiser said "You are leaving paradise?" I told him " No . I am leaving Tonga , going to paradise : BC." I still had several months left on my visa, and no shortage of money.
No braying needed for pension .You get it whether you want it or not. Allen Farrel said he was getting far more than he needed. He asked if he could give it back and the govt said "No way!" I told him' "Take every penny they will give you .Then, you can decide who needs it and who to give it to, not them . They would give it to the rich, as they always have done."
Committing totally senseless random acts of kindness is the most pleasure one can get out of money.
Suns beating down, days are warmer and getting longer , summer is ahead of us, missed a beatutiful westerly to get me down the strait yesterday ,but they become more common this time of year, so I'll have another soon, and will continue to enjoy them ,while those who go the Smack route will be in urban traffic jams, trying to obtain the money needed to follow bad advice. It has been a much warmer and dryer winter than I can remember ,while the arctic vortex just keeps sending all that arctic air skedaddling on down to Texas. Does life get any better?
I can always spoil other peoples kids rotten which I have often striven to do (something my father taught me to enjoy). He and one old Swede down the road , took us kids camping ,swimming, hunting , fishing , while other parents did nothing. Their loss.
But you seem so angry!

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by Faster; 02-21-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 02-21-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I'm in a good mood today. I just spent three days with my darling granddaughter Violet and tomorrow I am driving to Sea-Tac airport to pick up Will Porter.

Will is a high school junior. His family is currently doing a circumnavigation and they are in Costa Rica now. I have been corresponding with Will for almost a year. He has talent.
Poor kid wants to be a yacht designer. So his Dad arranged for Will to fly up and spend two weeks at my beach shack while I teach him what I can teach him.

I am looking forward to this honor. It will be nice to have a kid in the house again. I have a plan set out for him. When a student leaves my office I want his peers to say, "Wow! you did that?" Will will be a reflection of me when he leaves so I want to send him out there strong and prepared. I will be borderline brutal with him. I have already warned him of that.

So, am I angry and bitter? Yes I am. Yeah, about a few things like the death of my son. But that's to be expected in a normal person. who loses a child they love. About life in general? No, I have Violet to get me over that and I have a grandson due in April. I love having family around. Family and dogs are what makes life enjoyable for me and my work.

I admit it. I do not suffer fools. I have no time for fools. And from my own perspective Brent has proven himself a fool time and time again. Over 10 years of ridicule on the YD forum were enough to prove that. I suspect that Brent does not own a mirror.

What I would really like is for us to come together here, discuss the pros and cons of steel boats without all the personal angst. Show us the boats. Show us the design work. Then we can discuss the merits of each and make up our own minds. I have proiven that I am delighted to post my own work here. I am proud of my work. I don't understand why it has to be attack model all the time. If you want to rebut, then rebut with your work, not your words. Respect each other's contributions. Then let it go at that. If you don't respect a contribution you should be able to voice that without it becoming personal. Keep the subject yacht design and building.

I am not optimistic.

You got it Bob. I'll back off.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-21-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat View Post
This lifeline debate is annoying, to stop you from tipping overboard they should be above your center of gravity, your solar plexas. To me that seems impractical.
The closer it gets to your centre of gravity ( the higher) the less the odds of your going overboard. Crotch height is a huge improvement over knee height. Try both heights, for a comparison.
Old 02-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I also seriously doubt that a boat designed by Bob and built essentially no expense spared by Markos would disappoint anyone.
They continue to disapoint those who get conned into believing that those super expensive priorities are mandatory, before you can go cruising ,then later find people out cruising for decades, in simpler, more affordable boats, while they wasted decades paying for disinformation. One should never lose sight of what a cruising boat is for.
Efficiency is the ratio betwen pleasure and displeasure ( time spent doing things you would rather be doing , like cruising, instead of that you would rather not be doing , like working)
Old 02-21-2014
grumpy old man

Brent:
Put the bottle down. Your spelling is atrocious. Or you are so angry you can't see straight.

For some odd reason I'm thinking about families and Darwin right now. I won't elaborate.

I think I'll bow out now and do something fun.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-21-2014

jak3b is on a distinguished road

What kind of idiot stands up on deck when green water is coming on board?.I dont care if they are 10" or 10 feet high.People get washed off big ships and trawlers all the time and they have 5' bulwarks.For all your vast experience you say things that are absolutley non sensical sometimes.If your heeled way over from big seas your 'fence' is going to be angled way over anyway.Glad you think BC is Paradise, for gawds sakes stay there.
Old 02-21-2014

Re: Gilbert Caroff / Duflos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Have also a look at this one: Not bad for amateurs:

Velero Simbad: El "Simbad"

Velero Simbad: Nueva web de Gilbert Caroff

I find the design more modern even if I don't like the hull. It is an old design from an old designer, Gilbert Caroff. He has much better than that. He is certainly among the ones that have more boats built by amateurs in steel and aluminum (also built professionally). I see lots of them cruising here, mostly home built.

GILBERT CAROFF-DUFLOS - ARCHITECTURE NAVALE

Hundreds of designed boats, sailed everywhere from the Arctic to the Antarctic. Several expedition sailboats.

A nicer one, the Chatam 43:

Chatam 43 voilier en acier a l´unite

Here the building of a Chatam 40. Amazing amateur boat building quality :

Sur la mer avec "boulal" - sortie du hangar et mise à l'eau | boulal.travelblog.fr

Sur la mer avec "boulal" - construction | boulal.travelblog.fr

Here a 37 in steel being built. Also a nice design:

Notre bateau

Another one:

Photos 1

And another one, a 33ft (alu):

Preparatifs

Some pictures:
Nice paint jobs , nice interiors , but the hull shapes on the first two are the most butt ugly boats imaginable.

Last edited by Faster; 02-21-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: removed images from quote
Old 02-21-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

edgy, like the new Cadillacs