Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1699Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

"Like all my critics, you finally admit that you have not seen any of my boats."
Brent, what are you babbling about now?
You are making things up again.

I have seen lots of photos of your boats. Many have been posted here. No thanks to you who seem unable to post any photos let aone an actual design drawing. I have been to your site. So, once again you are wrong. I have never seen one of your boats in person. There just aren't many of them. None down here that I know of. And, if I saw one I think I would look away really quickly. They are not boats that would attract my attention. If I saw one I'd be afraid the owner might see me looking at it and ask me what I thought of it.

I'd ponder a bit and then say, "Right,,,,,,,,,I really like the,,,,,,the,,,,,,winch handle."
Then I would skeedaddle.

Smackers:
You are my "groupie"
Ewwwwwwwwww

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2014

mstern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Like all my critics, you finally admit that you have not seen any of my boats.
What?!? Where in the name of Cap'n Nat did Bob say anything even close to "admitting" he hadn't seen any of your boats?!? Of course Bob (and everyone on this thread) has seen umpteen photos of your boats as we've been discussing their pros and cons.

Yeesh.
Old 02-24-2014
grumpy old man

Sterny:
I think we are dealing with an alternative universe here.

I couldn't begin to count the times Brent has invented quotes for people here.
He's had a few for Smackers. He either is dyslexic or has some other severe reading comprehension problem that I don't understand or he just plain enjoys fabrictating his own idea of the truth. He reminds me of some politicians. Say anything. Someone will believe it. Not me though.

I was thinking that given the number of people who hold Brent to account here it doesn't surprise me that he can't keep the quotes straight.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 02-24-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

It's likely you'll only find a mast suitable as a mizzen for a steel boat 30' and up. I saw a string of 4 boats being towed in to be scrapped last Saturday. A Riviera Star 24 and a Crown or Davidson 18, along with an engineless Zeta and a big dinghy - apparently they are clearing the abandoned junk from moorings in Snug Cove. This stuff all looked like it hadn't been touched for many years - thick slime 1/2 way up the hull sides etc.

All the stuff I've seen being scrapped is like that, nothing over 30'

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-24-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
...... I saw a string of 4 boats being towed in to be scrapped last Saturday. A Riviera Star 24 and a Crown or Davidson 18, along with an engineless Zeta and a big dinghy - apparently they are clearing the abandoned junk from moorings in Snug Cove. .....
Good to hear. Probably not Snug Cove per se, but rather Mannion Bay/Deep Bay/Hotel Bay (pick your local name ) Moorings and derelicts have been building up there since the FC cleanout. The Squamish 'dogpatch' is a real eyesore too, and the one at Ladysmith not much better....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-24-2014
grumpy old man

Will, my intern strikes his first buttock:

He is wearing a pair of Spike's Carhartt bib oevarlls. The shirt is a Pendletion shirt that Spike gave me for last Christmas. Of course Spike can't buy gifts anymore but I buy me some things that I give to me from Spike. It sounds silly. But at Christmas time I know Spike would give me something nice. I just told Will to help himself to the warm and wooly shirt collection. He did come from Panama. He's freezing.
Classic30 likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 02-24-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2014

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Real NURBS are much more cool than the formulas

Poor guy.. I was racing yesterday in the sleet on my big boat, and my daughter was racing FJs in Victoria in the snow.

He'll toughen up just before he returns south, I expect.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-24-2014

mstern is on a distinguished road

Bob: you sure seem to like to have kids in the house. My youngest leaves for college in the fall. I can't imagine what its going to be like.
Old 02-24-2014
grumpy old man

Sterny:
I lived with two boys in the house for many years. Never a dull moment. Max's band got a contract with Capitol Records when he was 18 so he had the money to move out. I sat there, in his bedroom, thinking, "Shitski! I'm just getting the hang of this "dad thing" and now you move out?" I really like family around. Even someone else's family I guess. Some of us are built this way.

Tonight I introduce Will to fresh Sea Scallops. He has never had them before. It will be an expensive experiment. I have some Hempler's hot dogs in the fridge just in case. We will get through the night. Oh yeah, I have chocolate rocky road ice cream and chocolate with peanut butter ice cream as a back up. I never buy ice cream. I love ice cream. I like kids.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-24-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Sterny:
I lived with two boys in the house for many years. Never a dull moment. Max's band got a contract with Capitol Records when he was 18 so he had the money to move out. I sat there, in his bedroom, thinking, "Shitski! I'm just getting the hang of this "dad thing" and now you move out?" I really like family around. Even someone else's family I guess. Some of us are built this way.

Tonight I introduce Will to fresh Sea Scallops. He has never had them before. It will be an expensive experiment. I have some Hempler's hot dogs in the fridge just in case. We will get through the night. Oh yeah, I have chocolate rocky road ice cream and chocolate with peanut butter ice cream as a back up. I never buy ice cream. I love ice cream. I like kids.
Just tell him to HTFU. He could be stuck with Brent on his boat eating cold, dry oatmeal and inhaling body odor, wood smoke, and diesel.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40