Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
The current owner of that boat is extremely happy with her, and will be building my boats for others from now on. He has just done another 36. You can measure that boat any way you please, and you wont find anything out of line. For joining the two halves,we measured along the stem on each side, and made a mark at the same distance along the curve , from the point of the stem on each side. Then we began pulling the two halves together by first matching up the marks. An optical illusion in the photo made them look different lengths, but double checking the distance of the marks from the stem showed them to be exactly equal. When we pulled the last of the stem together,they matched up perfectly. If one were shorter than the other, there is no way you could compress 3/16th plate on end, yet that is exactly what my half wit critics claimed I did.
Really? Hmmm. Then you're saying the skeg is crooked?

Or is this just another "optical illusion"?
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-bs_yacht02.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

The edge does not look symetrical. I have a very good eye.

Why is it that all of BS's critics are "half wits"?

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-25-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Really? Hmmm. Then you're saying the skeg is crooked?

Or is this just another "optical illusion"?
You will notice there are no welds on that skeg at this point. First, it was wedged over onto the centreline , then cut to match the hull, before welding. You may as well show a picture of the skeg on a workbench, then claim it is in the wrong place.
This is a clear demonstration of how Smack tries to mislead anyone gullible enough to believe anything he says, or how gullible he claims us to be, and how insulting he can thus be, to readers of his posts. They played all the same games on BD.net.
Old 02-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
It's likely you'll only find a mast suitable as a mizzen for a steel boat 30' and up. I saw a string of 4 boats being towed in to be scrapped last Saturday. A Riviera Star 24 and a Crown or Davidson 18, along with an engineless Zeta and a big dinghy - apparently they are clearing the abandoned junk from moorings in Snug Cove. This stuff all looked like it hadn't been touched for many years - thick slime 1/2 way up the hull sides etc.

All the stuff I've seen being scrapped is like that, nothing over 30'
A friend was given a 44 ft aluminium mast off a rotten old boat, along with the rig, winches , sails, etc etc. Another friend, who just pulled together we a new 36 ft brentboat, was on his way to Vancouver to pick up an aluminium mast over 50 feet, last time I saw him, several weeks ago.
One of the sail boats shown being scrapped ,in Pacific Yachting, was a huge sailboat.
Old 02-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I love this clip - it just seems to fit Brent's philosophy so perfectly. I wish my boats were so easy to move around.

It tends to support his statements about his boats riding over reefs and so forth.

Boat Tow - YouTube
This is the boat some claim are not strong enough. What would that do to a plastic boat, or a wooden boat, which some here have claimed are stronger?She was under a high tension power line, where boat movers and crane operators refused to touch her. None of those who criticised Alex for moving her this way had any better solutions. They would have been completely lost in the same situation, but would have never considered doing the obvious. Wouldn't be trendy enough !
Old 02-25-2014
grumpy old man

I still think the transom is asymetrical. Not much but enough to bother me.

In think it is cool how they moved that boat. Can't hurt it. It's not like they were going to spoil it's lovely lines.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Smackers;
I kind of think so.

Just finished a nice dinner with Will, my intern. From my point of view everything seems all right.

Emailed his dad. Told him that I had his kid taken care of. My skills include parenting skills. I'm pretty damn good at it. I am in my comfort zone.
What does this have to do with pros and cons of steel sailboats . Take that kind of drivel to facebook.
Old 02-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortant View Post
After sitting in my backyard fir over 15 years thought it time to remove and replace metal. Keel has 6000 lbs lead. Used tire weights with metal clips melted off poured in.
The steel doesn't look all that bad , the inside looks great. Your first step in working on that boat should be to get some 35 inch high, solid lifelines on , whether temporary or permanent. Its a long way to fall and you wont have water to land on. I once fell off a boat and broke my wrist and pelvis, a real pain in the ass, literally. Luckily the keel was not on yet. Had the keel been on, I would have been killed. Having good lifelines feels a whole lot more secure, when working on deck, allowing you to concentrate on what you are doing.
Stainless is far harder to find in scrapyards than it used to be. If you use stainless for the first 4 inches above the decks, and go galvanized from there, you can easily change it all for stainless later, when some shows up, without burning any paint or foam.I have used galvanized sch 40 pipe in the 80's which, well painted, looks as good as the day it went on.
I'd leave that transom off as long as possible, for easy access and less height to climb. If you have any sandblasting to do inside, it gives you a place blast the sand out. Cutting holes in the hull at low points, also helps. Other wise the sand builds up faster than you can blast. You can then blast the cutouts and weld them back in, then blast the welds.
After you have thoroughly epoxied the inside you can put the bulkheads in, far easier than putting them in after foaming. Putting the transom in takes only a few minutes. Put it in over size, and fully weld the inside, before cutting the excess off the outside, grinding it flush, then welding it.
Making the bottom sharp corner of a reverse transom, where it is impossible to keep paint on, out of stainless, will save you a lot of maintenance problems later. Ditto trimming all outside corners with stainless.
Wheel balancing steel clips are 20% of the weight They all float to the surface where they are easily skimmed off. Welding a plate over the ballast keeps oxygen out, eliminating any electrolysis between the lead and the keel plate. As an added precaution ,you can weld a stainless nut to the top, drill a hole thru it , pour a bit of oil in, then put a bolt in and weld it airtight. With a layer of oil on top, there is no chance of oxygen getting to the metal
seascene likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 02-25-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2014
grumpy old man

Brent:
Bite me!
I'll post what I want when I want and you can blow it out your discharge.
Don't even try to drag me down to your angry, little man level.
I simply don't care what you think. To me you are pure entertainment. An easy diversion.

Back to the important stuff:
So here we were this morning. My Vancouver pal Tim was down to work on the PSC 62'er deck layout (no, you wouldn't understand Brent. It's called "designing"). Tim is my right hand man when it comes to the very latest in deck gear and systems. He is also an expert navigator and very well acquainted with all the latest nav aids. Will, my intern, was hard at work hand fairing a set of lines. I have one eraser. I never make mistakes so I almost never need an eraser. I keep it around for,,,,show. But here we were working away and Tim and Will trying to share my one eraser.

I had a brilliant idea. "let's cut the eraser in half!"

You see Brent, for some of us it's all about having fun and enjoying life. No need to be uptight. No need to be angry. Gather some pals around a student or two and enjoy the world of yacht design.

Tim is also a great guitar player. I suspect we'll play some tonight.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 02-25-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Once again Brent, will you please ask some of these friends of yours to join the discussion so we can hear their opinions? If they are really that satisfied with the choices they made then you should have no problem with them sharing with us. Honestly, I think much of what you claim is either the stuff of fantasy that you feed to uninformed clients in order to pawn your various media or outright crap to perpetuate your drama.