LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Brent:
Bite me!
I'll post what I want when I want and you can blow it out your discharge.
Don't even try to drag me down to your angry, little man level.
I simply don't care what you think. To me you are pure entertainment. An easy diversion.

Back to the important stuff:
So here we were this morning. My Vancouver pal Tim was down to work on the PSC 62'er deck layout (no, you wouldn't understand Brent. It's called "designing"). Tim is my right hand man when it comes to the very latest in deck gear and systems. He is also an expert navigator and very well acquainted with all the latest nav aids. Will, my intern, was hard at work hand fairing a set of lines. I have one eraser. I never make mistakes so I almost never need an eraser. I keep it around for,,,,show. But here we were working away and Tim and Will trying to share my one eraser.

I had a brilliant idea. "let's cut the eraser in half!"

You see Brent, for some of us it's all about having fun and enjoying life. No need to be uptight. No need to be angry. Gather some pals around a student or two and enjoy the world of yacht design.

Tim is also a great guitar player. I suspect we'll play some tonight.
Man, you sound angry! Soap opera participants tend to be that way!
Old 02-25-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Brent:
Once again you are projecting.

I'm in a very good mood. Beef Stroganoff tonight with sliced tenderloin steaks, mushrooms, some paprika, sour cream, shallots and some secret stuff.

I can't do angry right now. Maybe if I screw up the Stroganoff. Then step back. I'll show you angry.

Bu this is SN. What's to be angry about? I can't see it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 02-25-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Really? That's not what you said over on your origami site about this very same boat:

Are you EVER honest Brent? Seriously. Your duplicity is amazing.

Either that, or you truly do think everyone on your origami site are suckers that will believe anything you tell them.

Wow.
That is not the way I would have doe it, so I let Evan do the job. I like cockpits .However, she is the best steel twin keeler in that size range currently on the market. All others I've been aware of are single keelers.
Folks posting on origamiboats are impressed with her.
Old 02-25-2014
grumpy old man

I can relate to that. Some times you have to let your client have his way.

"I see, you want ratty looking park benches where I want a cockpit? Well, you just go for it."

Brent is two faced. He attacks me because some of the features of my designs are client driven then he says, "That is not the way I would have doe it, so I let Evan do the job. " I understand totally but you can't argue both ways. Unless you are someone who lives in dual universes.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-25-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
You will notice there are no welds on that skeg at this point. First, it was wedged over onto the centreline , then cut to match the hull, before welding. You may as well show a picture of the skeg on a workbench, then claim it is in the wrong place.
This is a clear demonstration of how Smack tries to mislead anyone gullible enough to believe anything he says, or how gullible he claims us to be, and how insulting he can thus be, to readers of his posts. They played all the same games on BD.net.
Well of course Brent. How could it possibly be imperfect?

Disregarding the skeg, that transom is far from the perfection you claim. It's not symmetrical. Period. It's "hand drawn".

The funny thing is - it's damned good for a hand drawn curve. And I would be happy to give you props for that. Instead, you insist it's perfect - as perfect as any real boat out there. But it's not. That's very plain to see in that "Alex's Boat" sequence of photos.

It's very good amateur work. But it's far from quality boat building. There's just no way around that.

It's like when you say your own boat looks as good as it did the day you painted it. Well, one look at the pictures I've posted in this thread and it's very clear that either your paint looked like crap 30 years ago (or whatever) - or your idea of perfection is WAY below most of the world's. I'm betting on the latter. Your "perfect" is most people's "so-so". It's just a matter of translation.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-25-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I'm surprised no-one has commented on the firewood boat stands.

I've got a pretty decent eye but I think I'd wait until those seams are ground smooth before deciding if the lines are off - jagged edges with lumps of slag, not to mention the different sized temporary tabs, can lead to optical delusions. It makes it very difficult to determine the true line underneath.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-26-2014
grumpy old man

Jon:
You could be right on the jagged weld seams. Anyway, given the overall aesthetic goal of the boat it really doesn't matter. It's fine. If every detail of the build is done with a consistant level of "imperfection" it's amazing what you can get away with.

It works the other way too. For instance on the SLIVER project. Once you elevate the level of finish to near perfection, assuming "perfect" is impossible, you force all the following, surrouunding details to rise to the same level. It can get very expensive.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 02-26-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I've got a pretty decent eye but I think I'd wait until those seams are ground smooth before deciding if the lines are off - jagged edges with lumps of slag, not to mention the different sized temporary tabs, can lead to optical delusions. It makes it very difficult to determine the true line underneath.
Fair enough. I did draw a line along the port side (what appears to be the weld) and mirrored that over to the starboard. As I said, it's impressively close for eyeballing it. It's just not the perfection Brent claims.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-26-2014
grumpy old man

"It's just not the perfection Brent claims. "

Yeah but Brent posted on Sully's site about eating meat preserved in cooking oil.
That thread was immediately above the thread titled "Cures for diarhea".
No I am not kidding.
Not sure that I could relate to Brent's standard for perfection.

But it's all fun.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-26-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
It works the other way too. For instance on the SLIVER project. Once you elevate the level of finish to near perfection, assuming "perfect" is impossible, you force all the following, surrouunding details to rise to the same level. It can get very expensive.
The problem with going that show car finish route, on a boat that lives out in the weather, is the near impossibility of keeping it that way. Powerboats like Rivas etc. that live in sheds are one thing but just keeping the green slime off an "outdoor" boat around here is a fair bit of work.

I saw a 6 Meter (IIRC) at the PT show a few years ago. Obviously just out of the shed with butted seams and the mahogany planking stained a sort of rosewood colour under many layers of absolutely perfect varnish.

It looked like one piece of wood and the finish was far better than all but the most expensive furniture - better than most pianos.

It was breathtaking but I doubt it lasted through the following winter.

I'm a big believer in the 10 foot rule for boats.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Closed Thread