Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1617Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Wow. Just, wow. I read this entire thread. I signed up to see who was going to give me the hours of my life back. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Hours of your life back? Just be glad you didn't build a steel boat.

Now go sailing.
xymotic, mitiempo and goat like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014

kimbottles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Kim Went out on the SLIVER FRANCIS LEE to check the prop pitch after adjusting it up two notches. We got 9.3 knots with the first pitch setting on the four blade Max Prop. PYI suggested upping the pitch one notch. I suggested two. He was hitting top rpm way too easily. I knew we could do way better than 9.3 knots. He was doing over 10 knots when he turned around and went back to the dock. He didn't max it out but soon as he saw 10 knots + he thought that was enough. We may have another half a knot in it yet. Tonight Kim is very happy. He said there is no bow wave and no stern wave. That I will have to see for myself. I wish I were there but I have to go back to the East Coast on some boat business on Sunday so I am jammed here right now. Shitski!
I didn't say "NO" bow and stern wave, I said very small ones. KB
Old 03-19-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Wow. Just, wow. I read this entire thread. I signed up to see who was going to give me the hours of my life back. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
You can get a lot more hours of your life back, by ignoring those who advocate the most time consuming, complex and expensive ways of doing things, as the only way to go. You can get more back, by taking your advice mainly from those who have had the most of their lives to do what they want, any time, and have minimized the amount of time they spend on the treadmill, doing what others want of their time . You can get more back, by judging the value of advice by what it has done for the person offering it , in terms of free time. If someone has spent most of his life in debt, and has had little free time, then following his way of doing things will get you the same results. If someone has spent most of his life doing whatever he pleases answering to no one , waking up anytime he feels like it, and going sailing whenever he pleases, then following his example will get you the same results.
Old 03-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
Well, that's two. Weight and corrosion. I'm not counting the disinformation because you have been just as guilty of that. As far as people attacking you.... Have you noticed that when you give those little tidbits of experience and DONT cram your experience down everyone's throat or try to put down other peoples knowledge, experience, or preferred building material, that even the likes of Bob Perry compliments you. At least to me, that is experience talking and worth listening to. But when you make claims that even someone with my limited knowledge question, and someone asks you to back that claim up, you either can't or won't, and then proceed to toot your experience, dismiss them as amateurs, and claim you're being attacked.

So, do you have a third con?

What limitations does the extra weight put on your design?

I cant think of any more cons. Extra weight simply means having to have a bigger rig. No, you cant do the shallow deadrise hulls, but most of my clients don't want that shape. Its no the most comfortable shape in a rough sea, anyway, and their high freeboard makes them ugly. When you are using a heavy material you don't want the dead weight of long, useless overhangs. It is the weight to waterline length ratio which you are dealing with, and maximizing the waterline in a given overall length is the goal, without producing the super ugly, snub nosed designs many modern racing boats end up with.

I think you gave some good info many pages back on how to control corrosion on the inside of the hull.
Lots of epoxy inside, on clean shot blasted and primed steel makes inside corrosion minimal.

Man, had a great sail up Georgia strait, in a 15 knot dry SE wind, like trade wind sailing. The self steering did it all, while the wood stove kept me warm and dry ,as I listened to CBC radio and Radio Malaspina all the way. Great to get out of the Gulf Islands . Too many people down there.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 03-19-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Lots of epoxy inside, on clean shot blasted and primed steel makes inside corrosion minimal.

Man, had a great sail up Georgia strait, in a 15 knot dry SE wind, like trade wind sailing. The self steering did it all, while the wood stove kept me warm and dry ,as I listened to CBC radio and Radio Malaspina all the way. Great to get out of the Gulf Islands . Too many people down there.
Nice dodge!
Old 03-20-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

This just popped up as the Featured Sailboat of the week:

31' Custom steel Brent Swain 31

Volvo MD2 diesel, Balmar high out alternator with ARS 4 multi-stage external regulator. Electronics: Furuno 1623 Radar, Garmin 188C Plotter, Raymarine ST-1000 autopilot, West Marine VHS 600 w/DSC, Si-Tex SSB receiver, BlueSea 13 position distribution panel, Xantrex battery monitor.Lot's of tools spare parts, list too long to list. Just had boat hauled, bottom striped to bare metal, rust treatment, pre-primer, 2 coats primer, 2 coats of anti-fouling paint. New deck painted with anti skid paint.New zinks on hull,shaft, and rudder. Total spent this week $4,000.00 Feb. 10, 2014 Asking price reduced from $25,000.00 to $23,000.00 This is a great boat for a young couple looking for a 2 to 4 year adventure in Carribean. Xenos is located in a rented slip in Marina Majax on Isla Mujeres, Cancun, Mexico The marina is in the best Hurricane hole in the Western Caribbean. The slip rent is $300.00 per month, this includes water and WiFi. Cancun airport to boat is 1 hr. & 15 min.
Located in Isla Mujeres Cancun Mexico, Outside United States.
For information, call: (404) 372-6929
View Contact Information and Full Details »

Length: 31' Year: 1995 Asking: $23,000

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 03-20-2014
I can't re Member

goat is on a distinguished road

I was looking at that one. Just the equipment on it is worth that. I wonder why he stipulates a 2 to 4 year adventure?
Old 03-20-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

Volvo MD2 diesel, Balmar high out alternator with ARS 4 multi-stage external regulator. Electronics: Furuno 1623 Radar, Garmin 188C Plotter, Raymarine ST-1000 autopilot, West Marine VHS 600 w/DSC, Si-Tex SSB receiver, BlueSea 13 position distribution panel, Xantrex battery monitor.Lot's of tools spare parts, list too long to list. Just had boat hauled, bottom striped to bare metal, rust treatment, pre-primer, 2 coats primer, 2 coats of anti-fouling paint. New deck painted with anti skid paint.New zinks on hull,shaft, and rudder. Total spent this week $4,000.00 Feb. 10, 2014 Asking price reduced from $25,000.00 to $23,000.00 This is a great boat for a young couple looking for a 2 to 4 year adventure in Carribean. Xenos is located in a rented slip in Marina Majax on Isla Mujeres, Cancun, Mexico The marina is in the best Hurricane hole in the Western Caribbean. The slip rent is $300.00 per month, this includes water and WiFi. Cancun airport to boat is 1 hr. & 15 min.

Sounds like a lot of pansy yachty stuff on that boat.

So much for 2 hours work and $50 per year in maintenance.
mitiempo and Wulf like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hours of your life back? Just be glad you didn't build a steel boat.

Now go sailing.
I switched to steel , in my mid 20s, and it has enabled me to cruise 11 months a year since then. Had my first boat been steel ,I could have avoided a year's work replacing her, when she broke up on a Fijian coral reef.
Steve on Silas Crosby summed it up well, when he said "Hit a rock, shrugged and carried on."
Old 03-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

Super deal for George's old boat! George( the builder) built the boat after sailing with Winston thru the NW passage. She is very well built, and properly epoxied inside and out.
I have done most of my cruising with none of that kind of gear, but I have accumulated some while cruising ,without giving up any cruising time to acquire it.
She doesn't have a wheelhouse, but that could be easily rectified.