Like Tree1694Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
Nice dodge!
You mean like Bob Smack and you do when you change the subject to booze and family photos?
Old 03-20-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
You mean like Bob Smack and you do when you change the subject to booze and family photos?
Dodge #2.

You gonna answer his question?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
This just popped up as the Featured Sailboat of the week:

31' Custom steel Brent Swain 31

Volvo MD2 diesel, Balmar high out alternator with ARS 4 multi-stage external regulator. Electronics: Furuno 1623 Radar, Garmin 188C Plotter, Raymarine ST-1000 autopilot, West Marine VHS 600 w/DSC, Si-Tex SSB receiver, BlueSea 13 position distribution panel, Xantrex battery monitor.Lot's of tools spare parts, list too long to list. Just had boat hauled, bottom striped to bare metal, rust treatment, pre-primer, 2 coats primer, 2 coats of anti-fouling paint. New deck painted with anti skid paint.New zinks on hull,shaft, and rudder. Total spent this week $4,000.00 Feb. 10, 2014 Asking price reduced from $25,000.00 to $23,000.00 This is a great boat for a young couple looking for a 2 to 4 year adventure in Carribean. Xenos is located in a rented slip in Marina Majax on Isla Mujeres, Cancun, Mexico The marina is in the best Hurricane hole in the Western Caribbean. The slip rent is $300.00 per month, this includes water and WiFi. Cancun airport to boat is 1 hr. & 15 min.
Located in Isla Mujeres Cancun Mexico, Outside United States.
For information, call: (404) 372-6929
View Contact Information and Full Details »

Length: 31' Year: 1995 Asking: $23,000
It's sad to see that boat just going down and down in price. Those people are taking a real bath. But that seems pretty typical with these BS boats. They just don't hold their value at all. He'll be lucky to get $15K - WAY less than was put into it. And they spent another $4K???? According to Bren't numbers, that 20 years worth of maintenance money!!!! How the hell did that happen?

Once again, Brent's numbers just don't add up. They never do.

All that "yachty" equipment is worth the $15K. You could just strip that out and scrap the rest of the boat and come out okay.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-20-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2014

One way to reduce weight in a steel boat is to take a serious look at how existing components do a structural job, before duplicating them. Chines and centerelines are huge longitudinal angle irons, structurally. The hull deck joint is a huge longitudinal T section structurally, as are side decks . The centreline tank top is a huge fully welded longitudinal bulkhead, structurally. All of these components are, structurally, the equivalent of fully welded longitudinal bulkheads. The cabin sides are beams on edge , with the top welded to the cabin top , and the bottom fully welded to the decks ,not likely to go anywhere. Yet one often sees totally redundant knees and other reinforcing bits and pieces welded in these areas, displaying a total lack of comprehension of the roles played by these components in the overall structure of a shell.
Old 03-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It's sad to see that boat just going down and down in price. Those people are taking a real bath. But that seems pretty typical with these BS boats. They just don't hold their value at all. He'll be lucky to get $15K - WAY less than was put into it. And they spent another $4K???? According to Bren't numbers, that 20 years worth of maintenance money!!!! How the hell did that happen?

Once again, Brent's numbers just don't add up. They never do.

All that "yachty" equipment is worth the $15K. You could just strip that out and scrap the rest of the boat and come out okay.
Or you could go do some care free cruising in her, without the constant worry of dinging something in the night ,and sinking quickly, as would be the case in a plastic boat ( which lose their entire value ,and end up being crushed to make concrete reinforcing)
Winston just sold his boat, quickly, for more than $10K more than she cost him.
I have been sailing my boat for nearly 30 years and have put nowhere near that kind of money into her. However living aboard her , and many Pacific crossings ,have saved me so much that a months wages a year at $30 an hour or less has covered all my living expenses. She owes me nothing.
Old 03-20-2014

For someone who simply wants a big boat to live aboard and cruise BC Waters , John Sampson's 50 ft ferro ketch is for sale super cheap in Ladysmith, BC. The masts are rotten as is the wheelhouse ,but the 6 cylinder diesel runs well, so she is mobile. Accommodations are in good shape. She is big enough to take a steel mast well.
Old 03-20-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

What would you estimate the negative impact would be on righting moment with a steel mast?
Typed at 30,000ft in 1st Class coming home from NC after spending four days visiting the 63ft ketch with my Canadian buddy Tim. We get home late tonight, decompress tomorrow and sail Kim's boat for the first time on saturday.

I am not ready for ugly boats, steel or ferro.��

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 03-20-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
For someone who simply wants a big boat to live aboard and cruise BC Waters , John Sampson's 50 ft ferro ketch is for sale super cheap in Ladysmith, BC. The masts are rotten as is the wheelhouse ,but the 6 cylinder diesel runs well, so she is mobile. Accommodations are in good shape. She is big enough to take a steel mast well.
I visited John on Storm Strutter a couple of decades ago and it was in VERY scruffy shape then - looked like a very hard worked workboat, which I guess was what it was after those Pacific loops with paying passengers.

I shudder to think what it must be like now. That is a HUGE boat - probably 25 tons or more. Bringing it back would be a several year project and then you'd only have a ferro boat, albeit one with some history.

It should be turned into Samson Reef somewhere in the islands.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-21-2014

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
sail Kim's boat for the first time on saturday.
Moving my buddy's 1D35 from Everett to Edmonds on Saturday. Come north and we'll take pictures!

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 03-21-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

"Solo sailor Andrew Halcrow was airlifted by a Chilean Navy helicopter from his 32ft steel yacht on March 8th after he was dismasted in breaking seas west of Cape Horn. "

From cruising compass.

Not always the hull that matters. Read reports seems dismastings, blow out portlights, inversions/knock downs, crew fatigue and injuries/illness etc. as likely or more likely scenarios for boat abandonment. This is reason I have repetitively asked Brent for statistics on RM, point of vanishing stability, GS graph etc. In absence of same his statements of sea worthiness are simple hearsay.
smackdaddy likes this.