Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2014
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I have used alternators which I got for free out of scrap piles.
OK, enough is enough. I have read every freaking post on this thread since inception and have laughed at the banter and groaned at the sometime childish slander of other members, but "scrap piles" really. This thread started out about pros and cons of steel boats and now has turned into the maritime version of American Pickers. I mean I have read about park benches, recycled cabinets, steel and wood scrounged from construction sites and now scrap piles, give me a break. Do the world a favor, go off on an extended cruise with no wifi or means to communicate and give verbal dissertations to the locals on how they too can circumnavigate if they just visit the local refuse center and stock pile another mans unwanted items. But short of that, leave the I can build a boat out of your unwanted crap off this thread, because personally if i wanted to sail a garbage scow I'd just put pontoons on a dumpster and call a circus company and ask them for their trashed out tents and make sails out of them.
smackdaddy, bljones and bobperry like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison

Last edited by Faster; 03-21-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Holy cow CatMan, you are making me sound really civil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 03-21-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I have used alternators which I got for free out of scrap piles.
OK, enough is enough. I have read every freaking post on this thread since inception and have laughed at the banter and groaned at the sometime childish slander of other members, but "scrap piles" really. This thread started out about pros and cons of steel boats and now has turned into the maritime version of American Pickers. I mean I have read about park benches, recycled cabinets, steel and wood scrounged from construction sites and now scrap piles, give me a break. Do the world a favor, go off on an extended cruise with no wifi or means to communicate and give verbal dissertations to the locals on how they too can circumnavigate if they just visit the local refuse center and stock pile another mans unwanted items. But short of that, leave the I can build a boat out of your unwanted crap off this thread, because personally if i wanted to sail a garbage scow I'd just put pontoons on a dumpster and call a circus company and ask them for their trashed out tents and make sails out of them.
You don't seem to understand, Brent is a Dumpster Diving God... He builds furling units that are far superior to anything made by Selden or Profurl, out of stuff he finds laying by the side of the road during the course of a morning walk... :-)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-21-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

G33.....hmmmmmm..........now if I was not packing to move or some such thing.......hmmmmmmmmmm......
maybe I need to go sailing in my slooooooooooooooooooooooow 195 rated boat........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I was at csr twice today, not sure where frances lee is at today..........

Marty
Old 03-21-2014
grumpy old man

Marty:
Time for all the BS talk to end. FL sails tomorrow. It is on G dock at Shilshole.
Tomorrow=reality.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-22-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Lots of room on the ocean for different talents, techniques and imaginative skills. This thread pretty well runs the gamut even if it wanders greatly. If one has the money ,one can buy most any talent etc. If the budget or inclination requires some ingenuity then some imagination in the recycle /reconfigure department can be the ticket.Some of us(me included) take real joy in building our boats and its parts from what some scorn as the local refuse centre. For you completely unskilled and unimaginative' Sailors' who don't know pot metal from bronze or lignum vita from hemlock let me tell you that better stuff was thrown away than you can find at your fancy new stuff store. The skill and imagination to do what Brent and I have done successfully and with considerable satisfaction for 38 years is something that that others may not want to emulate but to not be able to understand, well that's just sad. Just keep your shelf stocking job so you can pay the moorage on your dunky plastic and don't lose the dream of maybe really going sailing one day.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 03-22-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Len- a lot of us plastic sailors go to the defender sale or Less Marine. Then to tractor supply or to commercial liquidation sales and get the same stuff for 1/2 price. We've learned if it's in a chandlery is twice the price and it's worth the time to tract down a commercial supplier whenever you can. Some of us keep on to houses so we can have have a woodworking and metal shop and a big Miller welder in the basement. It's not an either or but rather a both. We're in process of downsizing. Big discussion is I'm willing to get rid of all the furniture even the pieces I built. But I'm not willing to sell any of the tools I and my father collected. Mounting board for the commissions plaque is going on a teak board salvaged from a writing box found in dumpster outside a school being torn down. We are brothers in sailing not us and them.
smackdaddy, SloopJonB and Capt Len like this.
Old 03-22-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Still would be delighted to see more pictures ,links, or plans of steel sailboats allowing exploration of the diversity of this type of craft. Agree with Bob the thread has become too limited only centered on Brent boats. Taunton, Pape, Puffin and Waterline have been mentioned. Are there others that appeal ?
Old 03-22-2014
grumpy old man

Not sure at all why it has to be "us and them". I appreciate BS boats for what they are. But BS seems to think we should all embrace them as the universal balm for all sailing needs and furthermore, if you don't buy into that then you are stupid. He also endows his boats with powers they simply do not have. That gets a wee bit weird sometimes and given some of his claims I feel my intelligence is insulted when he expects me to buy his drivel. His grasp of the technical side of yacht design is at best tenuous and at worst dangerous. I applaud BS's ingenuity and resourcefulness but the end product does not interest me at all. But that's just me. If you like the result then I do not see that as any kind of character flaw or failure. Different boats for different folks.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-22-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

this thread does bring out the absolutes.
one thing i will say for anti-establishment, stinkfoot, broke-as-a-joke, more-time-than-money sailors is that they don't go crying to mom and dad and threaten to leave when someone disagrees with them, then announce they are leaving, then announce that they have left.... and then keep posting.

They just keep posting.
mitiempo and bobperry like this.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.