When the world sh-ts on you. Scrap it off and plant a garden
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 03-22-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
You mean like Bob Smack and you do when you change the subject to booze and family photos?
I would ask you to quote a single time I've done that but you can't, because I didn't. Your first dodge was nicely done. This one, well, I've seen 5 year old kids do better.

Last edited by Dean101; 03-22-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Dean:
I may be a bit guilty there. But my family is a huge part of my life, like yacht design. I really can't separate those things. Brent brags about having no family and that is fine. Works for him. Takes all types. But I'm not sure he is qualified to comment on family issues. He has zero experience there. I cherish my family and that includes my dogs and my cat. It's just who I am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bobperry; 03-22-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

And what the hell is wrong with booze?
Booze is what gets me through threads like this.
slap, bobperry and goat like this.

Old 03-22-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Bob, there is absolutely nothing wrong with family. And BL, the first thing I did yesterday after an exceptionally rough week at work was to enjoy a VERY tasty ale, even before my shower and supper. Maybe Brent's rhetoric is just rubbing me the wrong way this morning but I can't help but comment on his amazingly blatant hypocrisy accusing me of changing subjects while answering a post in which I pointed out that he himself nicely dodged a legitimate question.

I have no problem with Brent, and apparently Len also, finding good deals or re-using stuff from scrap piles. I've done plenty of that myself. I do have a problem with someone like Brent accusing me of doing something I haven't done and NOT being man enough to include a quote as proof. Especially when he is being a hypocrite while doing it!

I'm learning more about the characteristics of steel boats from those that Brent claims have "zero experience in steel" than I am from a self-proclaimed designer, builder, and cruiser of steel boats who can't answer legitimate questions challenging the often questionable and sometimes ridiculous claims he's making.
Old 03-22-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Lots of room on the ocean for different talents, techniques and imaginative skills. This thread pretty well runs the gamut even if it wanders greatly. If one has the money ,one can buy most any talent etc. If the budget or inclination requires some ingenuity then some imagination in the recycle /reconfigure department can be the ticket.Some of us(me included) take real joy in building our boats and its parts from what some scorn as the local refuse centre. For you completely unskilled and unimaginative' Sailors' who don't know pot metal from bronze or lignum vita from hemlock let me tell you that better stuff was thrown away than you can find at your fancy new stuff store. The skill and imagination to do what Brent and I have done successfully and with considerable satisfaction for 38 years is something that that others may not want to emulate but to not be able to understand, well that's just sad. Just keep your shelf stocking job so you can pay the moorage on your dunky plastic and don't lose the dream of maybe really going sailing one day.
Well you started out pretty well there Len. But then went completely off the rails - yet again making it an "us and them" thing.

I like my job a lot. I make great money doing it and don't have to work many hours or very hard at it. It's awesome. Oh and it's not shelf stocking.

I'm also pretty handy and love finding ways to do things as cheaply as possible where I can. Most sailors do. Look at bl's do-it-yourself thread.

What I have NO desire to do is live full time on a small boat (steel or plastic). I love being able to cruise a few months out of the year in beautiful places then go back to my beautiful home and pool.

You and Brent just don't seem to like the fact that people can be happy with that kind of balance. For you guys it has to be all or nothing. That your way of life is somehow "enlightened" - that the rest of us are "completely unskilled and unimaginative". Well I don't think that's true it all. And it certainly makes you guys sound like you're bitter simply because you have no other options.

That's not enlightened. That's simply being trapped on a different kind of treadmill. One I have absolutely no desire to join you on.

Why not live and let live dude?
slap and Dean101 like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-22-2014

Sashav is on a distinguished road

After buying a steel boat I think I would never buy any fiberglass, the benefits are so many I can't even list them
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 03-22-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Yaaaay. A steel boat owner. What is she? Did you build her? Where are you and where have you sailed? No info on your public profile.
Old 03-22-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Look at bl's do-it-yourself thread.
For the record, I have never, and will never, think of it as MY thread. All I did was get the ball rolling and throw in the odd post.

As in every SN thread, the members here are the REAL contributors, the ones who do all the heavy lifting, and I for one have gotten a ton of good info out of that thread.
Faster, tdw and mitiempo like this.

Last edited by bljones; 03-22-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Len- a lot of us plastic sailors go to the defender sale or Less Marine. Then to tractor supply or to commercial liquidation sales and get the same stuff for 1/2 price. We've learned if it's in a chandlery is twice the price and it's worth the time to tract down a commercial supplier whenever you can. Some of us keep on to houses so we can have have a woodworking and metal shop and a big Miller welder in the basement. It's not an either or but rather a both. We're in process of downsizing. Big discussion is I'm willing to get rid of all the furniture even the pieces I built. But I'm not willing to sell any of the tools I and my father collected. Mounting board for the commissions plaque is going on a teak board salvaged from a writing box found in dumpster outside a school being torn down. We are brothers in sailing not us and them.

Sounds like you need Tim Allen's "Guys home" - a 10,000 Sq. Ft. shop with a one bedroom apartment over.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.