LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Shank any news about the57'er?
Old 03-30-2014

shank32095 is on a distinguished road

I pulled the trigger and traded for the vessel. Anxious to spend some time down in Malaysia in the coming months. I am exploring the possibility of forming a fractional partnership with two other individuals to share use of the vessel along with the lifetime membership in one of, if not the finest, 5 star resort golf course & marinas in the South China Sea. Any experience with that sort of arrangement?
Old 03-30-2014
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Surviving 16 days pounding in up to 12 ft surf on a Baja lee shore, pounding across 300 yards of Fijian coral reef, T-boning a steel barge at hull speed, colliding with a freighter in Gibraltar, decades of ocean cruising in all conditions, without a single structural failure at sea, and a single season passage thru the NW passage, all with no structural damage whatever, is far more accurate that any calculations you could ever come up with.
Yet some of the above claims have been refuted over and over in this thread - as an example the so called T-boning incident. And many of the brentboats have had framing added to give them more strength - seems their owners didn't think that they were strong enough. Looks like your guesstimates weren't good enough for them.

Quote:
Yet those who claim that such boats are not structurally strong enough , buy and cruise in boats which would have broken up in minutes in the same conditions, proving that they are definitely not the sharpest tools in the shed!
Fiberglass boats have done the NW passage, and made thousands of ocean voyages with no incident. What I cannot figure out is why do brentboat owners run their boats into reefs, etc so often? If you compare the number of brentboats to the number of collisions, groundings, etc, it seems like there is a real problem with them.

Quote:
Perhaps it is time you gave NASA a call, and informed them that they can get rid of their wind tunnels and structural testing to destruction, as your computer is more accurate.
Which has nothing to do with your lack of knowledge of the structural properties of materials or structural design.

Quote:
The stability curve of my boats is posted on the origami boats site. Have someone who can read English, interpret the last sentence for you.
Just because someone did a hack job at guessing the stability of a brentboat doesn't mean that you have the ability to do a real stability calculation (and understand what you are doing).

I was going through a boatyard today, when someone I was with mentioned to me that a nearby steel sailboat had been recently surveyed - the surveyor put his finger through the hull where it had rusted through.
Old 03-30-2014

First let me say waves are not measured in feet and inches, but in increments of fear. Mr. Swain has never paddled out in 12' surf and never will. A twelve foot wave breaking on coral typically would have a 20'-24' face. His contention that one of his little boats withstood 16 days getting pounded before being successfully dragged across the reef back out to sea through these same breaking waves is not the testimony of a sane individual.
Old 03-30-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Shank:
Congrats on the new boat. Sounds like life will be good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
The Following User Says Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
shank32095 (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014
grumpy old man

Brent:
Frank is strip planked and glued. Fasteners were used to hold the strips in place for gluing. The everything inside and out was covered in a layer of protective GRP for abrasion. Deck is grp skins over foam core. The interior is all cored panels. Keel floor structure is welded steel. In the end I think you'd have to call it "composite" construction ranging from red cedar to carbon fibre. Of course, by your rules, you have ZERO experience in this style of construction so you cannot possibly have anything of value to say about it. So don't bother wasting our time with your comments. Play by your own rules.
smackdaddy and Dean101 like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-30-2014

Thanks Bob, My wife and I are going to try.

pura vida
Old 03-30-2014
grumpy old man

Shank:
Did you ever get any definitive stability data on the boat?

I hope you give us a report after you sail the boat.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-30-2014

Bob, Checked out your site and your little house design and thought you might be interested in the little house I am building on one of my favorite spots in the rainforest overlooking a waterfall on a farm I own in Costa Rica. About halfway completed and quite the challenge as you can imagine.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/Spec...House/10913389
kimbottles and mark2gmtrans like this.
Old 03-30-2014

kimbottles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank32095 View Post
It has always been my experience in life that people that are really on their game, at the top of their field of expertise, never feel compelled to constantly state how wonderful they are. Likewise insecure individuals who fail to achieve a consensus of success to which they feel entitled overcompensate by doing just that, continually expounding how they are the best and brightest. To be humble and allow ones work to speak for itself is the greatest success anyone can achieve.
Yes, my experience too, exactly.
Closed Thread