Not a Member? 

Like Tree1722Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

"I entertain myself in the mornings, by listening to the traffic report on how those who follow your advice are spending their time. Then I cut a fart in their honour, and go back to sleep for another hour!"

What a fascinating life you lead. The only traffic I deal with is the cat and the dogs. The last thing I would listen to in the morning is the traffic report. I'll take a bit of Mendelssohn quartet please. Then I go fishing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 04-03-2014
grumpy old man

Then I do this:
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-sails-good-profile.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-03-2014
grumpy old man

Try this one:

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-03-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Well you started out pretty well there Len. But then went completely off the rails - yet again making it an "us and them" thing.

I like my job a lot. I make great money doing it and don't have to work many hours or very hard at it. It's awesome. Oh and it's not shelf stocking.

I'm also pretty handy and love finding ways to do things as cheaply as possible where I can. Most sailors do. Look at bl's do-it-yourself thread.

What I have NO desire to do is live full time on a small boat (steel or plastic). I love being able to cruise a few months out of the year in beautiful places then go back to my beautiful home and pool.

You and Brent just don't seem to like the fact that people can be happy with that kind of balance. For you guys it has to be all or nothing. That your way of life is somehow "enlightened" - that the rest of us are "completely unskilled and unimaginative". Well I don't think that's true it all. And it certainly makes you guys sound like you're bitter simply because you have no other options.

That's not enlightened. That's simply being trapped on a different kind of treadmill. One I have absolutely no desire to join you on.

Why not live and let live dude?
Meaning that all the advice Smack posts on living aboard, and long term cruising priorities, are based on zero experience with actually doing it!
He keeps giving advice on these subjects, without actually experiencing any of it. Don't get your live aboard and long term cruising advice form a house dwelling land lubber!
So if your goal is to continue working, to throw money at a marina queen, while living anywhere but on a boat, rarely leaving the dock, and you value marina queen priorities over function, then Smack is your best source of advice.
If your goal is to get off the treadmill ,and actually spend a significant part of your life enjoying the cruising life, if your goal is to cruise safely, and affordably, without it costing you a huge portion of your life, then Smack is the last source of advice you should allow to screw up your plans. He knows nothing about the subject, having no long term experience with the matter. That kind of advice you should only take from someone who has actually accomplished what you seek.
Old 04-03-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Because you may be able to survive Niagra falls in a barrel, that doesn't mean doing it is a good idea.
Sure, many plastic boats do ocean passages, and some don't come back, which would have, had they been steel. The Sleavin's boat is only one of many examples.
So instead you keep telling people that you CAN survive Niagra falls in a barrel - as long as the barrel is steel. That's just stupid.

Remember the video of the plastic boat getting t-boned by a freighter that I put in this thread. It didn't sink. So you must be wrong.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-03-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
They don't need to go crying to mom & dad - they just go to the government for money from funds they haven't contributed to.
Ya, one should feel real guilty about tapping into the Mike Duffy and Rob Ford nutrition fund! They both look half starved!
Do I feel guilty?
Not really!
Would you turn it down?
Not likely!
Old 04-03-2014
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In terms of function, a Balmar alternator costing hundreds of dollars, on a diesel, has absolutely no advantage over an autowreckers alternator of the same output. Spending hundreds of dollars on gear which you can get the equivalent for next to nothing, is a total suckers game. This is what keeps them on the treadmill, working, instead of free to do whatever they want, any time they please.
The difference is the cruisers I met, who worked their entire lives to get where I was in my early 20s. Do I wish I had spent my life working, to be "stylish" and slavishly following the priorities dictated to me by the ship swindlers? Not a chance!
I'll continue sailing, while the gullible go to work to pay for your expensive bad advice.
Great sailing lately. Been a much warmer and dryer winter here than normal, Burned barely a cup of diesel in many days sailing. Rare on the BC coast .
I entertain myself in the mornings, by listening to the traffic report on how those who follow your advice are spending their time. Then I cut a fart in their honour, and go back to sleep for another hour!
Ya know Brent, and I hope you don't mind me calling you Brent, this is so typical, once again you resort to being a world class ***** that can only sling crap and act like a 5 year, this is not a scavenger thread, it is a pros and cons of steel sailboats, insult me all you want it makes no difference to me, but for the sake of those wishing to learn about steel sailboats leave the garage sale boat building out of it.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 04-03-2014
grumpy old man

Cat:
There is a world of wonderful steel boats out there.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-03-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
.Steve, Winston and Don all got their asking price for their brentboats, which sold quickly, far more quickly than plastic boats do these days.
No they didn't. Steve's boat is still being offered for sale on his site. He seemed to have gotten an offer after it was on the market for 3 months (CF) - but nothing definitive - and not the asking price of $73K apparently.

Old 04-03-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
The difference is the cruisers I met, who worked their entire lives to get where I was in my early 20s.
You mean destitute and lonely?
SloopJonB likes this.

Closed Thread