Not a Member? 

Like Tree1699Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Jon:
Smack was talking about the bow wave. Frankie leave trace of a wake and has a trace of a bow wave. When we push it up over ten knots under power you see some wake aft like any other boat, just a bit less because we do not drag the transom. Keep in mind when you look at these photos the fact that all the crew, eight big men were all in the cockpit and our trim was far from ideal. I really should have distributed the crew weight better. But we were all having fun in the back of the bus and it seemed the right thing to do at the time.

I Googled myself yesterday and was checking out the various references to my work. I found one site called "Perry yacht images". It was several pages chock full of photos of boats I have designed and many of the photos were new to me. I keep photos of my boats so this was a bit of a treasure. And smack in the middle of the bunch was a Brent boat! Shitski! But it was one of the nicest of the BS boats and it was a good photo. I'm not sure if I am even able to remove pics from that site. There were a bunch of other pics of boats that weren't mine also. Not sure how that works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 04-04-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2014

shank32095 is on a distinguished road

Bob, You been hacked by the Brentster.
Old 04-04-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

As I contemplate this thread, I have to wonder whether the original poster, a member named, CaptainQuiet, and whose member description is "quiet is as quiet does" ever got his steel boat, or for that matter, ever got his answer. CaptainQuiet posted his original query roughly 2 1/2 years ago and last posted on SailNet something like 14 months ago.

Jus say'n........

Lovely picture of a lovely boat.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 04-04-2014
grumpy old man

Jeff:
Owner motored Frankie over to the marina this morning in 15 to 20 and a Puget Sound chop. I asked him if it pounded or slammed and he said no. He thought it was "rock steady". That surprised me a bit. I anticipated some slamming with that ultra flat rocker. Maybe it's a low frontal area thang. What do you think? He hit one big tug wake and one freighter wake and nothing. He is very happy. Our typical on the nose, "square" chop can be brutal on some boats. It can stop you dead. The old Valiant 40 with all that flair wasn't too happy in that chop and Frankie is about as opposite a shape to the V-40 as I can think of.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-04-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Jon:
Smack was talking about the bow wave. Frankie leave trace of a wake and has a trace of a bow wave. When we push it up over ten knots under power you see some wake aft like any other boat, just a bit less because we do not drag the transom. Keep in mind when you look at these photos the fact that all the crew, eight big men were all in the cockpit and our trim was far from ideal. I really should have distributed the crew weight better. But we were all having fun in the back of the bus and it seemed the right thing to do at the time.

I Googled myself yesterday and was checking out the various references to my work. I found one site called "Perry yacht images". It was several pages chock full of photos of boats I have designed and many of the photos were new to me. I keep photos of my boats so this was a bit of a treasure. And smack in the middle of the bunch was a Brent boat! Shitski! But it was one of the nicest of the BS boats and it was a good photo. I'm not sure if I am even able to remove pics from that site. There were a bunch of other pics of boats that weren't mine also. Not sure how that works.
Bob - I was joking - that boat hardly parts the water as it passes. I've seen rowboats that leave more wake.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-05-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Now for just the hellishness of it.......Could a good skilled welder or equal build frankie to look as close as one can, in steel? I'm betting a GOOD welder probably could.......no BS talking here folks. Aluminum would probably be easier I would think....... Then again, I have never worked with these materials. SHould ask Ying and Yang......twin sons with welding degree's I suppose........

Just to get us back on track.....

did Bob ever get that aruminum beach boat built he designed for himself?

marty
Old 04-05-2014
grumpy old man

Marty:
I don't think you could hit the weight targets in steel. I think a skilled steeel builder could do the shape but it would get heavy. Aluminum? Maybe.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-05-2014

paulk is on a distinguished road

I seem to remember Yves Tanton stating something like you need to have about 60' to make steel work for the weight/performance ratio. With all the ice melting and the coral dying, plus being able to tell exactly where you are all the time so as to avoid rocks, does steel simply become a relatively inexpensive raw material with high maintenance costs? Starts to sound a bit like wood.
Old 04-05-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
"Inswain"?

That is very funny.

Brent the boat is a true composite with everything in it from red cedar strip planked hull, no framing, to a grp and foam deck to carbon details, all cored interior, no plywood, to a steel keel floor system. You name it we have it. It kind of defines "composite". This is truly not a dumpster diver's boat.

Come on down Brent. I'll take you through the boat. I'll even take you sailing. But I'm pretty certain that you do not want a face to face meeting with me.
A strip planked hull is held together by friction,
It's a bit of stretch to suggest that a steel hull held together with welds of 60,000 to 70,000psi tensile strength may not be strong enough ,due to lack of structural engineering, so one should instead choose a hull held together by "Friction."
Anyone implying such , clearly has a problem comprehending structural engineering, and a credibility problem on the subject.
I have copied your threats made on line Bob, so my ass is covered legally when we meet. You can find me on West Cortes Island in the summer swimming months. Bring along one of your plastic boats and we can have a demolition derby.don't go to the US anymore, the legal industry there is just too loony.
Old 04-05-2014
grumpy old man

Brent: You appear to have a reading comprehension problem. You asked me how Frankie was built ( it's been documented here several times) and I explained quickly the method. That's all. I did not make any claims. I don't have to. The boat speaks volumes for itself. It has nothing to do with whether steel is a good or bad building material. We never considered steel.

I am certainly not threatening you Brent. I can't find any threats. I'm just saying that I can't imagine you would want a face to face meeting with me. Maybe you can. I do not do "demolition derbies" in my boats. My boats are far too beautiful and their owners far too intelligent for that level of stupidity. You say the most ridiculous things sometimes Brent. I'm not sure I have ever seen someone celebrate his own ignorance to the level you do., You parade it. You live in a world where you are constantly on the defense. But that makes sense given your output. You have no offence.

Bob's Blog ....