Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Brent seems like some sort of caricature, of what though, I'm not sure. Maybe he is a bizarro universe Bob Perry [remember that Star Trek episode?], might explain why he has such an axe to grind and propensity to attempt to start arguments with you Bob.

Frankie is beautiful, by the way. Doesn't look like a 60' boat, I think it could be that when she is angled away from the camera she simply appears to shrink in length without becoming mis- proportioned at all.
Old 04-05-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Rhys:
I remember the bizarro universe but I thought it was a Seinfeld episode.

I like to argue with Brent and I think he likes to argue with me. It's fun entertainment for me. I think he is a total hack of a yacht designer and a jerk. He does not qualify as a yacht designer by my standards. He thinks I'm a jerk and I may well be. But I'm a good yacht designer who also happens to be a jerk. I'm comfortable with imperfection.

I can post example after example of great boats I have designed and wonderful examples of my design craft. Brent just has angry words.

I did this CT54 ketch when I was 27 years old. They built 100 of them.
Rhys05 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2014
grumpy old man

Rhys:
Frankie does not feel like a big boat when you are sailing it either. It is light on the helm nimble and quick to respond. I'd say it feels like any normal 30'er. It's very long but it's light and skinny. It will be very easy to single hand.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-05-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
Brent seems like some sort of caricature, of what though, I'm not sure. Maybe he is a bizarro universe Bob Perry [remember that Star Trek episode?], might explain why he has such an axe to grind and propensity to attempt to start arguments with you Bob.
He's simply a garden variety fanatic.

The OED (THE arbiter of the English language ) defines it thusly;

Fanatic: A person filled with excessive and often misguided enthusiasm for something.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-05-2014
grumpy old man

Here's a CT54 chewing her way up to weather. These are heavy boats. You could build one in steel. But with BS build techniques the result would be a very ugly boat. In grp I can control the contours and get just the look I want. I chartered one for two weeks in the BVI's when my two boys were 9 and 11 years old. When we walked don the dock and saw the CT54 for the first time one of my boys said, "It looks just like a pirate ship Dad!" That made me feel good.

I didn't have a pot to piss in when I designed that boat. I got $1,050 for the entire design although the contracted design fee was $700. I got a royalty of $350 per boat.

I can do this all night. I'm just waiting for Brent to post one example of professional design work. It's going to be a very long wait.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-06-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Bob - what's it like to dock Frankie ? She's still a very long boat and I didn't recall a thruster on prior pictures shown. Think most folks can single big stuff away from shore. Problem comes near the hard edges.
Old 04-06-2014

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

Rhys05 and BP are both kinda right. A Seinfeld bizarro episode referred directly to the Bizarro Superman in the DC comic of 1958. The Star Trek bizarro episode featured the first appearance of Spock in a goatee -- a likely inspiration for BP's facial adornment of the era.
Old 04-06-2014
grumpy old man

Out:
Kim would be a better one to answer that question. He seems to have no trouble at all. The rudder is big and a nice spade so the boat turns sharply. He also has the four blade Maxprop and he says that's like having brakes. He really likes the prop. I think also the boat is so narrow that you get a really good look at the dock as you come in. I can't see a bow thruster ever being installed on Frankie. It would muck up that nice clean bottom.

Hudson:
I don't recall the Star Trek episode. The inspiration for my facial hair was the double chin that mysteriously appeared.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-06-2014

shank32095 is on a distinguished road

Actually BS reminds me of the R. Crump ZAP comics character from the sixties named "Whiteman". Whitemans' mantra besides being bitter about anyone different than him was
" I must maintain this rigid position or all is lost ".

Old 04-06-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Bob do you take old apprentices?

before going into the cooking industry I really wanted to become a naval architect...my granfather was an aeronautical engineer and worked for boeing and I loved learning from him and just hearing his stories...he also modified and designed a lot of stuff for his motorsailer down in ft.lauderdale...

I think this would be the perfect retirement trade for me...but Im a ways off for retirement

jajaja

ps. I think designers shooting the crap and bickering on forums is hilarious...good entertainment for sure...

of course in the end words are trumped by actions...sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo