LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

[quote=Brent Swain;1713809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
What holds strip planked boats together? Fastenings in red cedar! What holds fastenings in red cedar? Friction between the red cedar and the fastenings.. Thus strip planked wooden boats are held together by friction.

You imply that using a material which has a tensile strength of 60,000 PSI may not be strong enough if you don't use the best engineering, yet you advocate one of yours ,held together by friction, as a better choice.
Instead of one which is 3/16 th plate,11,500 per linear inch tensile strength in all directions, you advocate one held together by 16 gauge fastenings every 6 inches.
I think you may have overlooked a few gallons of epoxy and a few yards of glass &/or Carbon fabric there Brent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-07-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Rhys:
Frankie does not feel like a big boat when you are sailing it either. It is light on the helm nimble and quick to respond. I'd say it feels like any normal 30'er. It's very long but it's light and skinny. It will be very easy to single hand.
An intelligent single hander would want proper lifelines, but that's not Bob's fault. When the owner figures it out the hard way , they may be calling him "Bob." ( As long as he keeps bobbing)

Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-18-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I have posted to death all the structural engineering principles in my boats. The fact that too many have not been able to grasp the simple principles involved, is not my problem. Intelligent people get it, and it is only them I have any interest in dealing with.
Everybody gets it Brent - the fact that many disagree with your anecdotal and rule of thumb & eyeball engineering principles does not make them unintelligent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-07-2014

[I can do this all night. I'm just waiting for Brent to post one example of professional design work. It's going to be a very long wait.[/QUOTE]

Many pictures of my boats have already been posted on the earlier part of this discussion. You forgetting Bob? Getting that old folk's disease called Waldheimers disease? (In Germany, its when you get so old, you forget you were a NAZI when you were young.)
Old 04-07-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
An intelligent single hander would want proper lifelines, but that's not Bob's fault. When the owner figures it out the hard way , they make be calling him "Bob." ( As long as he keeps bobbing)
You need to improve your reading comprehension before commenting Brent - it was well documented that Bob wanted them, the owner didn't.

Guess who got what they wanted.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but unless they know what they are talking about, those opinions are best kept to oneself.

Old 04-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Everybody gets it Brent - the fact that many disagree with your anecdotal and rule of thumb & eyeball engineering principles does not make them unintelligent.
It doesn't take a lot of intelligence to understand that an arc is stronger than a flat surface, that an arc is under compression, while a flat surface is under only a bending load, or that a boat which can go decades, and hundreds of thousands of miles of open ocean, in all conditions and severe torture tests which would have quickly destroyed most boats, without a serious structural failure, is stronger.
Anyone who cant get that, is definitely "unintelligent."
Old 04-07-2014

Quote:
You need to improve your reading comprehension before commenting Brent - it was well documented that Bob wanted them, the owner didn't.

Guess who got what they wanted.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but unless they know what they are talking about, those opinions are best kept to oneself.
That is why I said "Its not Bob's fault." It is clearly you who have the reading difficulty. Go back and read it again.

Dyslexics of the world, untie!
Old 04-07-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Lets see. People doing it the "Normal " way, spend decades trying to get off the treadmill, and free to cruise, spending tens of thousands to get there, something I have accomplished in my early 20's , on very little money.
And you say I'm the one who's "misguided?"
While other liveaboards are constantly complaining about dampness, and mold, I have eliminated all such problems decades ago, and my clients keep saying their brentboat is the most comfortable home they have ever had , in winter , in BC, and you say I am the one who is "Misguided?"
Sure glad the number of "misguided" is still small. It would be crowded out here, otherwise.
You are fanatical about your method of producing boats - no question about that. You have repeatedly stated in every way imaginable that any other method of design and construction is "stupid".

You are fanatical about your lifestyle choices - no question about that - very few people want to spend their lives alone on small boats, no family etc.

Most people also want to make a contribution to society over their lives, not simply live minimally and then suck on the public tit in their old age.

Yes Brent, you ARE a fanatic.

"My way is the only true and right way" - Sound familiar?

Old 04-07-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

"Bob, what I am suggesting is your theory about my steel boats not being strong enough, is not one you have much confidence in."

There you go making up stuff again Brent. What theory is this? Another product of your reading comprehensions struggles? Show me the exact quote where I said that. I mean the exact quote. Or shut the Fuuk up. I get tired of your lies. I don't think any of us question that steel boats can be strong. That's pretty much a given. You need to back up your words with some facts before quoting me.

I'll just keep posting some great boats here when I respond. Because that is something you cannot do. Reality bites. I've seen some pics of your dog's breakfast boats and I would love to forget them They are aesthetic pollution. What I have never seen is evidence of your "design work".

Jon:
The U shaped bow sections came along well before Doug Peterson. Check out any of the Early, IOR boats from the mid 70's. It was pretty much standard well before GANBARE.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 04-07-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2014

Quote:
You are fanatical about your method of producing boats - no question about that. You have repeatedly stated in every way imaginable that any other method of design and construction is "stupid".

You are fanatical about your lifestyle choices - no question about that - very few people want to spend their lives alone on small boats, no family etc.

Most people also want to make a contribution to society over their lives, not simply live minimally and then suck on the public tit in their old age.

Yes Brent, you ARE a fanatic.

"My way is the only true and right way" - Sound familiar?
By enabling people to get off the consumerism( Squanderism ) treadmill early and affordably , I have enable them to cut their environmental foot print by over 90% in some matters. That is no small contribution. I have reduced my own personal environmental foot print exponentially over my lifetime, and over the indefinite lifetimes of future generations, which I never created.
That is no small contribution.
I have enabled people to build roller furlers for under $150, anchor winches for under $25, self steering for under $50,540 GPD water makers for under $800, hulls in a matter of days instead of months, taught youth how to do my job, lobbied effectively for legal changes to protect spousal abuse victims and date rape victims , defended such victims, campaigned for protection of our health care system, and kept no trade secrets. That is no small contribution.
And you say I should feel guilty about not screwing up the futures of your own children and grandchildren, etc, or for lobbying effectively to keep their lives safer.?
My critics often live lifestyles which would take several more planets to sustain. I don't. You say I should?
Do you?

You suck the squanderism tit of unsustainable environmental degradation, for short term trinkets and toys, killing your children's futures in the proccess.
One's personal environmental foot print is measured by how much money they go thru, period!

Last edited by Brent Swain; 04-07-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Closed Thread