Like Tree1721Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
It would be my assumption that if you bought enough to do a 40' boat, you'd get at least a bit of a volume discount, but a 24" x 24" x 0.125" sheet of titanium at McMaster-Carr is $1592, while a sheet of 24" x 24" x 0.125" of high quality (corrosion resistant, high strength) aluminum is $110. Like I said, ~14x more than aluminum. I'm guessing that you'd also want to do more than 0.125" thick hulls..
Last time I talked to the Pardys, they were talking about a copper nickle boat , zero antifouling or maintenance needed. I suggested he first ask Winston what his maintenance costs in time and money per year are, then calculate how many dollars and years it would take to make up for the tiny amount of maintenance time and cost per year going for steel would work out to.
Several copper nickle boats were built in Britain. Expensive but doable. I once sold a set of 36 plans to a guy in Malasia who was planning to build in copper nickle. Don't know if he ever did.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 04-12-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsunmandelin View Post
witch reminds me if the steel, goes down, it goes faster, prob even faster then ferro cement
i havnt tested that fact, thank god
Wrong! Steel sinks much slower, because the same impact would create a much smaller hole, if any hole. It would probably just dent from an impact which would tear the bottom out of any non metal hull.
For this reason ,wood sinks the fastest, unless it is a raft.
Old 04-11-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Tomorrow Kim and I are going out for a photo shoot on FRANCIS. The German magazine YACHT is doing a multiple page feature story on the boat and we need some new photos it seems. So I'm happy that I will enjoy a nice day of very fast and easy sailing on one of my beautiful creations.

I suppose I could say defensive and cranky things but I'll let my work speak for itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 04-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Any thoughts on metals other than Fe & Al ?. Remember a boat called the corten. Wonder about Monel until I heard the price. Wondered why Fe plate couldn't be constructed with an inner flange. Flange would be untreated. Rest factory coated. Could weld together at construction site. Perhaps ceramic or other impervious material. Shape of plate be developed at factory with hydraulics so no limitations and complex curves permissible. Heard of molded Al. Why not molded steel.
I was moored for a year off a shipyard in Auckland which built tugs ( A&G Price Limited) They said they had tried Corten . Wasn't worth the extra cost. You could only get it in plate, not in angle, rounds pipe etc, so any mild steel welded to it got ate by electrolysis, as did the welds, which couldn't be got in corten. It was far more prone to distortion,and more expensive. The foreman in that yard was building himself a 36 footer, and had no use for corten. He said common mild steel was as good as anything.

A Dutchman told me of a company in Holland who had matched dies made for a round bilged steel hull. Each half was pressed out of a single sheet and joined along the centreline. Super fair ,but super expensive.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 04-11-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I suppose I could say defensive and cranky things but I'll let my work speak for itself.
Yeah, despite Brent's yelling and screaming to try to cover it up - his works speaks for itself. And it doesn't really say good things.
bobperry likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-11-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsunmandelin View Post
since, i am on a rampage i will note, that every swain owner i have met, witch is lots, all say the same thing "safe", i only have a columbia 36, right now, because of convenience according to my budget, or i would own the sailing submarine that will take me thru the arctic! but i could see, some people liking fb boats, for their speed in light winds, and probably will never even hit heavy winds, steel is not meant for fair weather
ok i am going to stop now
Actually, I think that's a good summation. If being safe in a steel submarine in the Arctic is very important to you - Brent's boats are pretty good for that.

I don't think anyone around here would argue that point.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-11-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I said a similar thing about 4000 posts back - If I was possessed enough to want to sail the North West Passage, a Brentboat would be high on my list.

If one is looking for a utilitarian boat with the ultimate survival aspects as the main goal, his boats are at or near the top and I don't think anyone here has ever disputed that.

It is the messianic zeal that says any other kind of boat is basically stupid, no matter the purpose it is for, that has caused much or most of the friction on this thread.

The same logic applied to cars would be a diesel powered early Land Rover.

Neither of them suit me and my needs.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-11-2014
grumpy old man

Jon:
4,000 posts back?
I read he first BS post tonight and I thought, "Shitski, it's like a broken record around here. Nothing ever changes with Brent." Well, I have a couple of new things in the work that will have you chatting and arguing, in a good way, and I'll spring them on you when the time is right.

Tonight I am sitting here excited that tomorrow I will experience performance under sail that truly raises the bar. And, I'm taking my granddaughter out for a put-put around the marina before we go sailing. Dad, Max, has to stay with her and Dad has to stay close to home because my grandson is due any day. I am doing my best to insure the strength of the gene pool. The pleasure has been mine.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-11-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Are you due for a decent breeze tomorrow?

Is a chute going up?

Take a laptop and keep us posted in real time - I'm going to be home with my brand new today grandson and family so I'll be able to stay on top of anything you might post.

Or not.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-11-2014
grumpy old man

Jon;

Yes, if I have my way the chute will go up.
I always get my way.

Bob's Blog ....

Closed Thread