Like Tree1722Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Out:
There is a guy in Norway with a boat building Co-op. He is building a big alu Colin Archer with lapstrake hull. It's quite stunning. There is an extensive thread on SA/CA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 04-13-2014
grumpy old man

"Frankie is only perfect for the use for which she was designed;"

The more I read that line the stranger it becomes. BS intended it as a slam but I read it and think, "Well,,,,of course." I think I'll just take it as a compliment.

Why thank you BS. I'm glad you noticed.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-13-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Brent and Paulo both have the same essential attitude - the boats THEY like for THEIR purposes are the only right boat - anything else is stupid or misinformed or backwards.

Must be a boring place to be.

I much prefer the attitude of a guy who just bought Mayan - David Crosby's old Alden schooner - a big schooner for taking the family out cruising and an old Moore 24 for crazy daysailing fun.

It would appear that both of those boats would be stupid or ignorant to both BS & P.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-13-2014
grumpy old man

Jon:
I am very proud of the diversity of my work. From the Baba 30 to ICON to FRANCIS to the FT10m it is really hard to find a type of boat I have not designed. Anyone who tries to put my work in a box or to characterize it in two sentences is a true, ignorant fool.

Jon:
Beau who bought Crosby's schooner also own a 40', long skinny cold molded boat built in the UK. I think they are called SPIRIT. It is an amazingly beautiful boat but his wife wanted a boat that was more comfy. So he did the sensible thing. He bought another boat. Beau likes boats.
SloopJonB likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 04-13-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2014
grumpy old man

Tonight I feel very proud of my work. But it was fun work.
Here is one of my top two best designs. He's holding another one of mine (well, it's really his but I had a minor role in it). We'll have to see how he turns out. I am not worried at all.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-13-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful kids. Well done Bob.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-13-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

That line of BS's something to the effect, frankie is only good for what she is designed for......well, that was SUPPOSED to be a bash......but looks like a WEL HIDDEN compliment to me.

When I did a lot more designing of landscapes, I too never did the same design, nor the same materials EVERY time. ALL of my clients like bob, wanted something a bit different. May have been colors of the pavers, wall block, pattern of the above, types of plants, amount of lawn vs beds vs ___________.

I would consider that line by bs to be a compliment myself.

I had a good day in Tacoma, playing with daffodils and putting on a boat......not sure BS would understand that fun either.....

Then below is a copy and paste from an FB page of what my eldest are up to. Youngest tagged along this time for some vacation........

Marty

United States Boomerang Team
Like This Page · 6 hrs · Edited

The 2014 World Boomerang Cup begins today! It's 5 a.m. Monday (Perth time), just 30 minutes away from breakfast. Today is Team Day 1, which includes Accuracy, Super Catch, 30M Relay, Trick Catch and one added event, the Endurance Relay! The events will be held on the fields at Guildford Grammar, 11 Terrace Road in Perth, Australia, and are free and open to the public. Let's cheer on both our US squads as they head into competition! Good luck, Team Rad Evolution: James Stickney, Logan Broadbent, Richard Bower, Daniel Bower, Billy Brazelton and Adam Stankiewicz; and to Legion of Boom: Betsylew Miale-Gix, Will Gix, Brian Wissner, George Essig, Steve Kavanaugh and Kenny Barr! —
Old 04-14-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bob for the heads up. Remarkable a design derived from Scandinavian life boats built in wood is transformed into a modern creation built in Al. Interesting to see the evolution of that style over 200y.
Old 04-14-2014
grumpy old man

Marty:
Boomerang team? I'd like to see that. When I was a kid in Australian w were always trying to make our own boomerangs. They never worked. I did much better making bull roarers. You'll have to Google it. It's too weird to explain. But mine worked very well.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-15-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Bob,

I'll have to have them give you a demo some day after they are back on about may1. They have been US national champs between them IIRC 5 or 6 times out of the last 7 or 8 years. Daniel won something like 3 yrs in a row along with 2 yrs before, then Richard won 2 yrs in a row with someone else winning last year. Daniel won the JR title in 02, also setting a long distance record of 120 or so meters. That is how far out it goes, then returns with in a 5-10M set of cones coming back. If the rang returns to the out side of either cone, the throw does not count.

Still wondering how things have gone, should be on day 2 if not 3 by now, NO results..............I'm sure not as bad as the news of when and what you new grandchild is, but still nerve racking for the dad to know how they are doing in the team events, which they won in 2010.

Not sure what a bull roarer is, But "stick" is a rang that goes out, but does not return! Used only for hunting purposes.

Marty