Not a Member? 

Like Tree1723Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

I couldn't see living without a wood stove either here in the PNW. I have hot water heated floors in my shack and I still like a fire at night. Just feels right. And the cat likes it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

A wise livaboard once told me that "If you don't have a really good way to heat the boat, they [girls] won't take their clothes off."

"Would you like to come down to my yacht and sit by the fireplace and have a glass of wine" worked as a really good pickup line, even on my funky ugly on the outside boat. In fact, I used that line on one particular girl I was smitten with and she is now my wife.

MedSailor
bobperry and Brent Swain like this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-24-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I just talked to Steve 20 minutes ago. He sold the Silas Crosby months ago, quickly , shortly after listing her, for most of what he was asking . He said he hasn't visited his blog since he got back here in October.
Smack screws up again, as usual!
He also mentioned a friend who bought a plastic boat, cheap. He said the reason that it was so cheap , and slow to sell, was because of all the good things on it , in the eye of an experienced offshore cruiser , all of which would be considered bad points, by the marina queen crowd.
Dirtyfloats likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 04-25-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2014
Banned

I just read the maintenance story about the Roger Henry,. When he mentioned water siting on stringers, it was obvious that she didn't have sprayfoam insulation. Water just runs over it . Steel behind it stays dry. Doesn't sound like he had any sprayfoam at all in her. He mentions using a woven insulation, which would be waterlogged, and sopping wet full time in colder climes . Tried that once ,then pulled it out and sprayfoamed it. Did he have insulation that absorbent all along, ( which would inevitably cause sever rusting under it)? Doesn't sound like there was much paint inside at all ,from the outset. Thick epoxy over wheelabraded and zinc primed steel , with spray foam insulation, would have no such problems .
He mentioned having to take out thru hulls to sandblast . Welded in stainless pipe nipples would have no such problems , nor any problems.
He also mentioned a wooden bulwark, which is a huge mistake on any steel boat. Just running the topsides plate a bit higher ,with a stainless pipe cap on it works much better . That is a vulnerable place for a piece of wood.
No boat building material or method is immune from such mistakes. Get it right at the outset ,and you wont have a problem,. Most of his problems could have been easily avoided in the building stage.
He did say"The difference between an amateur and professional is not in the results, but in time spent." or words to that effect.
He'd be wise to keep an eye out for good brentboat , and make the switch while that boat is still worth something.
Dirtyfloats likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 04-24-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfloats View Post
Half inch stainless plate welded to the back section of cockpit seats.
Gotta be able to hammer somwhere...
Certainly wont dent that....
I have a heavily built aluminium propane locker in my cockpit , which I use for chopping wood on , as well as welding on, and it is my heat sink for my negative welder diodes. altho chopping wood on the beach works best.
No matter how damp my boat may get, an hour of roaring woodstove dries it out thoroughly. Nothing else does it as quickly.
Dirtyfloats likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 04-25-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Can't imagine you could.

It's common for me to design in vice mounts on my custom designs. Not places to chop wood though.
I've been meaning to weld up a stainless vise in my cockpit.
Dirtyfloats likes this.
Old 04-24-2014
grumpy old man

This must be "stream of consciousness". I don't think I can follow.

Looking forward to racing FRANCIS on Saturday. Looking forward to St. Francis Yacht Club on Wednesday. That will be a nice trip.

CATARI the PSC 63'er has a great work bench with vice. Just like I designed it.

I'm busy. Getting over 100 hits a day on my blog. For what that is worth. I do have fun writing it.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-24-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Maybe, just maybe, people are underestimating Brent Swain. He probably truly believes most of what he says, even when it flies in the face of more knowledgeable people. But why would he come back again and again to get beat up and put down by lots of people here? Brent, no doubt, has a following of people who buy into his ideas and designs. The Origami method is kind of neat, but the end result is not what most of us want in a boat, never mind that they are super strong. And it almost looks to me, that he sometimes goes out of his way to make the boats unattractive. The oversized, painted handrails and those odd cabin tops are examples. And if getting beat up for his ideas isn't enough, he frequently insults some of the more knowledgeable people who publish here. So why does he do it? Look to Hollywood. If you are an actor, you need publicity and name recognition. Best if you get it for your work, but if not from there, any other source will do, good or bad. So lots of those people seem to go out of their way for press, bad press or any kind of press at all. Now, most people reading this forum list tend to side with boats like Bob Perry designs, and few really have the time or inclination to build their own boat, and most kind of like their lifestyle, even with work and mortgages, much better than they like Brent's lifestyle (otherwise, they would be anchored out somewhere on a Brent boat). In any dialogue like this thread, there will always be some who go opposite from most others, and opposite to reason, as it appears to most of us. And these people are Brent's potential clients, and threads like these, with all the arguments, is how he can come into contact with these people. So, maybe, it's all about getting publicity, good or bad. It's business, you know. Do what you have to do to make the sale.
Knowledgeable in marina dwelling and mortgage paying ,and knowledgeable in full time cruising, and maximizing ones free time , are two different kinds of knowledge.
Wanting fragile, decorative trip wires for lifelines ,is certainly not full time cruising knowledge. It is more "decorative" knowledge ( which can get you killed.) People with real long term cruising knowledge, would appreciate real lifelines, etc.
Marina queensters would not, and are not people I would consider "Knowledgeable"in practical terms.
Dirtyfloats likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 04-24-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2014
grumpy old man

Still angry Brent?

Our worlds will never collide. I respect yours but you seem to have zero respect for mine. That's fine. You are entitled to your own small world. I like a big world where lots of opinions and approaches can be accommodated. To each his own. Works for me.

124 hits on my blog today so far. I have to go now and watch hockey. Nitey nite.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 04-24-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Going to go head to head with the Luddite.
I live in New England where if you don't like the weather wait a minute it will change. While sailing have had days where you run both the A.C. and the heat in a given day.
House has forced hot water for heat. Prior houses the same. Have a camp heated with woodstove. Forced hot water is pretty much as fool proof as a mechanical system can be. Doesn't throw dust in the air and no dirt bringing fuel in and ash out. Wood takes a while to get going and awhile to stop generating heat. Often run heat/air for brief period for instance an hour before sleep when at anchor or just before taking off.
Guess what boat has the same with same result.
Different parts of the house heat/cool differently. Guess what so does the boat. Nice to have multiple thermostats.
Human brain only functions well in a very limited range of temperature. A basic safety issue to have the inside of the boat kept within the range where your biology allows your homeostatic mechanisms to work without much effort.
Have 3 fireplaces in the house and a fire pit on the patio. Just for looks and cuddles time. Forced hot water or hydronic heat way more practical for someone who has a life.
Have mid sized boat. Don't have the space to waste on impracticality of wood.
Oh and wood throws more particulates and pollution in the air. Have wood lot at camp. Running 2 cycle chain saws aint great for the atmosphere either. Some jurisdictions are thinking of outlawing heating by wood the way Mr BS is doing.

Last edited by outbound; 04-25-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.