Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
I really like the dark/bold colors. They seem to "fit" with the boat style.
When my boat is white, it is like adding air conditioning , in the tropics. In colder climes the lockers get musty inside. Paint her dark and they dry out completely,and all mustiness disappears .I have been frozen in, in minus 12 celcius, and the hull feels warm to the touch when the sun hits it for a few minutes.
South of Baja I paint her white, north of Baja she is dark green..
Don't underestimate this factor.
Even changing the deck colour from light beige to white made a huge difference in the tropics.
Walk around a hot, sunbathed parking lot. Feel the white cars, then feel the dark coloured cars.
copacabana and Dirtyfloats like this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-18-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
"No ,you wont post Frankie's stability curve here, because it would back up my claim that a narrow beam and trunk cabin, eliminates AVS concerns." BS

No, I won't post it here primarily to annoy you. By now you must have realized I'm not here to pander to your problems.

I don't think anyone familiar with stability studies disputes that narrow beam boats, providing they have a low VCG, have good stability numbers. That's common knowledge. I don't recall anyone disputing that. It most certainly is not a BS "revelation". Maybe you just figured it out. Catch up.

You can't provide a set of lines but you can provide a stability curve? I would be highly skeptical of a stability curve coming from a hack who proposed a reasonable AVS of "182 degrees". Your words Brent, not mine. I still laugh when I type it. Clearly Brent you have a tenuous at best grasp of stability numbers. But as you keep reminding us, you have a math problem. No shitski.
182 degrees is 178 measured form the other side. I don't think Frankie,or most narrow beamed boats would have any problem there
This is from Bob the guy who claims he never makes typos, the same guy who claims to be a karate athelete, after posting a picture of himself sporting a huge pot belly.

Hull lines come with the plans. Others, including a critic, had no problems calculating a stability curve for my 36, one critic said 165 degrees AVS.Another guy calculated 175 degrees AVS.Compare that to beamier boats which are considered adequate. Bob said 125 degrees AVS looks fine to him.
When I pointed out that it is common knowledge that narrow boats have no problems with AVS, I was called a liar.

A guy asks a question about steel boats and what does Bob post? Pictures of little boys! If he wanted that he would have searched for a "little boys "site.
I'm sure guys who are into " little boys" appreciate Bobs offering.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-07-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2014
Banned

There is an interesting story on CF about a Beneteau having her rudder suddenly sheer off in moderate conditions. That is why I prefer an overbuilt skeg. You can build a steel skeg far stronger than a shaft,with other benefits, and no serious penalty, except the building time.

Bob and Smack say fibreglass is stronger than steel. Try driving a fibreglass nail into a piece of steel Then try a fibreglass chisel, then fibreglass screwdriver, or wrench. Beat on a piece of steel with a fibreglas pickaxe, then try a steel pickaxe on a piece of fibreglass. Bob and Smack say the fibreglass ones would fare better. Base your assessment of their credibility on the results.

Smack started saying that 36 inches was the minimum height for lifelines. Bob didn't disagree. Then, when I pointed out that Bobs boats had only 24 inch high lifelines, as did Smack's Hunter, he began saying that 35 inches was too high, and that you are more likely to fall under them , than over them.

That is the kind of logic you would expect from someone who claims that my steel boats are not strong enough , yet buys pieces of crap like a Hunter or Catalina.

A documentary on the Dole Corporation said they have rooms full of people, who cruise the internet, hired to attack and trash anyone who posts anything which they consider contrary to their financial interests. By offering people alternatives to super expensive ways of doing things, I am subject to the same type of attacks, from those with a huge financial stake in maintaining the belief that the expensive ways are cruisers only options.
I have yet to meet any one who has one of my boats, properly built to my plans , who would rather be cruising in anything else.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-07-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Brent,

I have a burning question. Why hit a log boom at hull speed when you tie up to it? Also, why tie up to it at all? They are usually owned by someone and I'd hate to have to move early in the AM because the tug has arrived....

BTW, thanks for posting the picture of your boat.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

It's never a good idea around here - they come for them in the middle of the night sometimes - you might wake up miles away from where you thought you were.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-29-2014

ferg is on a distinguished road

Older GRP vessels are good and thick and therefor strong and do not rust.
Old 04-29-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

"182 degrees" is your quote Brent. Own it. It's yours.
With nothing to add to the discussion of yacht design I can why you would want to resort to more childish personal attacks. I'm waiting for another attack on my wife.

Love to argue with you but I am getting ready for my trip tomorrow to St. Francis YC in San Francisco.

Just keep talking Brent. You attack you far better than I can.

smackdaddy and shank32095 like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 04-29-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
182 degrees is 178 measured form the other side.
This, ladies and gentlemen, is "BS Math". You can bet your life on it.
bobperry likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-29-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Hang on,,,I think I get this.

So, you could say 30 degrees of heel is the same as 330 degrees of heel " measured from the other side". Damn, now why didn't I think of that before?

Probably because it makes no sense and no one in this business measures heel angles that way.

Well, there is that.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 04-29-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

It makes sense to me. Brent is from Australia.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Closed Thread