Not a Member? 

Like Tree1721Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Part of the reason I'm so grumpy lately is that by nature I am just grumpy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 06-21-2014

dpratt is on a distinguished road

I'm grumpy too. We tried hailing Francis Lee last night from our Bystedt 30 when we saw her, heading west, south of the EBM jetty. We got no family recognition.
Old 06-21-2014
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Good morning Bob, Smack, JonB and all. Oh and even BS, wherever he might be in his impenetrable Sherman tank with sails, bumping and grinding away at the reefs of the world.

I am down in sunny Florida today, hot, sticky, humid and sunny LOL. I much preferred being up in Port Angeles a few weeks ago, far better weather. I am not on my laptop right now, when I get a chance I will throw a few photos up.

I have been looking at a few boats, I figure I will find one that likes me ( I pretty much like them all, so better the boat chooses me by being the right boat at the right price), some time later this year. My budget keeps fluctuating so much here lately that making a good choice is hard sometimes haha.

Bob, glad to hear you are enjoying racing, I need to get up that way and watch you guys race. I have some friends up in Gig Harbour, and that area, maybe when I get up there we can watch some races from the comfort and convenience of one of their boats. I don't race, all that looks a lot lioe work. Where are you racing? If anyone wants to message me when I am not on here just email me at mark2gmtrans@gmail.com

Mark
Old 06-21-2014
grumpy old man

Pratt:
I don't think anyone on board would know that the Bystedt was my design. If I see you out there I'll be sure to give you a wave.

Mark:
Come on up for a visity. Spend a night at the shack.
mark2gmtrans likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-21-2014

kimbottles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt View Post
I'm grumpy too. We tried hailing Francis Lee last night from our Bystedt 30 when we saw her, heading west, south of the EBM jetty. We got no family recognition.
We generally answer every hail, so we must have not heard you. Try again next time you see us.

(We also respond to non Perry designed vessels that hail.)
Old 06-21-2014
grumpy old man

What?

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-21-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
On BD.net, Tad Roberts calculated the AVS on my 36 at 165 degrees, and Jim calculated it at 175 degrees ,posted on the origamiboats site.
Bob claims that 123 degrees is "a fine number",but 165 and 175 degrees is "unstable?"
Ya sure , Bob!
Keep reading this, until it eventually sinks in!
Old 06-21-2014
grumpy old man

BS:
You are a liar and a phony snake oil salesman. You ARE BS.

You will have to show me the exact quote where I say "165 and 175 degrees is "unstable?" but you can't because you are making things up again .

Show me the quote or shut up. Show me the quote.

I know you are a bit slow so let me say it again:
Show me the exact quote or shut up.
I don't think you have any credibility left here. But,,,,you are slow.
Here is some reality for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDPI_j_3Jqo

Note that the only boat to beat FRANCIS is MERIDIAN also my design.
transmitterdan and shank32095 like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 06-21-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Maybe I'm a little slow. I can't understand how a boat with the weight of a steel deck and house and with relatively short keel(s) can generate the numbers he quotes. I'm not a N.A. Are the numbers BS quotes in the realm of reality unless he is entirely filling the keel(s) with spent uranium or just more BS? From my limited understanding enough weight to generate the obligate RM would raise the waterline resulting in no freeboard. ?Am I missing something? Is he saying a boat just about upside down at 175 degrees is still stable?

Last edited by outbound; 06-21-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2014
grumpy old man

Out:
It's a mystery to me.
Imagine being at 174 degrees and telling your wife, "Don't worry dear we have one degree of positive stability left".

The fact is that BS has no knowledge at all of the reality of stability. He relies on others to come up with silly numbers. I know Tad and I really doubt Tad did a weight study on a BS boat. Without a weight study you CANNOT HAVE a VCG. Without an accurate VCG your stability calcs are useless. It all starts with a VCG. This is just basic naval architecture 101. I was struggling with this when I was 16 years old. It was not easy. But I stuck with it and today I am very comfortable with the math.

All an intelligent person has to do is to look at the published stability numbers for any number of boats featured in today's rags. Stability is no longer a guess. BS numbers are off the chart. He would be laughed out of any gathering of bonafide yacht designers.

My wife and her friend Kristen will have Copper River Sockeye for dinner. Me,,,I think a BBQ hamburger will do just fine. I use that really cheap bright yellow mustard. It reminds me of taking my sons to baseball games. It's the taste of memories.
christian.hess likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 06-21-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Closed Thread