Like Tree1721Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Pratski:
I owned hull number one Bystedt CHINOOK. I still have the half model.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 06-22-2014

dpratt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbottles View Post
We generally answer every hail, so we must have not heard you. Try again next time you see us.

(We also respond to non Perry designed vessels that hail.)
No worries... it wasn't a radio hail, more like a shouted "Hey, Bob", just on the chance that BP was on board and would get a kick out of recognizing one of his less frequently seen designs. We were pleased to see the Francis Lee in person, and recognized her thanks to this thread. I've been lurking for a while (who doesn't enjoy seeing BP, BS, Smack and others duking it out?). The positive thread drift about a new design plying the waters of our back yard is refreshing. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-22-2014

dpratt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Pratski:
Good to know; thanks. Let me know if you're ever inclined to clean house.
I wonder if CHINOOK is still in the area?
TEGARRI, which was pictured on the original marketing brochures, was repainted in blue AwlGrip, and is still active and moored in Ballard. The current owner of that boat talked with the owner of another Bystedt passing by in the Ship Canal, but I haven't seen that one myself.
We purchased ours in Everett several years ago; originally red gelcoat (still red, but repainted). It was named ROSETTA 1 when we purchased her, since renamed "SCOUT". Ours has been moored at EBM since we got her.
There's another red Bystedt in Portland which was listed on YachtWorld a while back, but I don't know the current status. Then there's GOOD NEWS, which tore it up on the local racing circuit for many years under a previous owner (he now races a J boat, "Great White").
Our old girl is still going strong, and getting younger with every completed project.
Back to the spirit of the thread: I'm glad that this is not a steel boat.
Old 06-23-2014
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Yes, I can see a sealed mast in a Laser or a boat like my Escape that has an enclosed/sealed mast. But those boats dont have halyards they have sleaved mains that slip over the mast. On a boat with halyards you are better off with them internal for windage. Conduits and foam would add weight.

There is a real good reason you don't see good well designed boats with steel masts.
I think that reason might be because having a BS mast might look like having a stick of oilfield casing for a mast. I can just see ol Brent scrounging around and finding his perfect mast, a 47 foot piece of 7 1/2 " P110 casing, threaded on the male end with an 8 round thread and a seal ring that woukd be airtight, weld a plug in the collar on the female end and it's a mast LOL. Complete with an API number on the side rating it for pressure....

Yep, that would be about 23 pounds a foot of steel weight.
Old 06-23-2014

Bob142 is on a distinguished road

Drill stem would be lighter ...

Any storm in a port...
Old 06-23-2014

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pratski:
Why was the design named Bystedt? Unusual name for a boat design, rings somewhat famliliar to me. Like an IKEA name ... (don't hit me, just asking).

/J
MedSailor likes this.
Old 06-23-2014
grumpy old man

Jaramaz:
You will have to take up the IKEA thing with the client for the boat. His name was Gary Bystedt.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-23-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

So is the Bystead 30 a typical "furniture boat?"

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-23-2014
grumpy old man

The Bystedt 30 was designed to the IOR half ton limit, 21.5. It has a basic interior and I did cruise mine a bit. But at that time we had a very active half ton racing fleet in the PNW and primary use of the boat was racing. In no way is it a "furniture boat". Not sure I even know what that means. But if it means lots of furniture the answer is no.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 06-23-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Bystedt 30 was designed to the IOR half ton limit, 21.5. It has a basic interior and I did cruise mine a bit. But at that time we had a very active half ton racing fleet in the PNW and primary use of the boat was racing. In no way is it a "furniture boat". Not sure I even know what that means. But if it means lots of furniture the answer is no.
It was a term I herd often as the owner of a Formosa 41. Yes, it means a boat with a lot of wood down below and is usually uttered by racers in a derogatory way. For example, "I can't believe we got overtaken by the furniture boat (Airloom) again!"

I thought it was a nice double entendre to follow on to the Ikea-name reference. I'm starting to wonder who I'm going to get to laugh first, you or my cat. I'll keep trying at both and see who cracks up first.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Closed Thread