Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1699Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

There is a great article in this month's Sail magazine ( July 2014) on Winston's daughter, Kim, cruising Mexico in her brentboat ,the 4th brentboat in the family. It points out how her decision to go by brentboat is based on a huge amount of family cruising experience, exponentially more full time cruising experience than Bob( alias Smackdaddy) has ever come even remotely close to having. Bobsmack has simply not enough practical hands on experience to be capable of designing practicality and function into a boat. So he only designs appearance as that is all he is capable of understanding with so little ( ZERO) long term cruising experince.

There is another great article in the July 2014 issue of Pacific Yachting about a Beneteau experience , on a voyage from New Zealand to Tahiti, in which the boat starts breaking up, the hull starts separating from the deck, a common experience in plastic boats, something which never happens on small steel sailboats. All the hatches leak, as do the new ports. The boat naturally starts taking on more water than the pumps can keep up with, so he is forced to abandon her, a boat which he concludes has little value, and is not worth saving. Had he had a steel boat , with proper hatches and ports ( half inch plexi bolted on with a 1 1/2 inch overlap, doesn't leak or break) his structural and leak problems would have not happened. Having a fabricating shop weld up aluminium hatches gets you a much safer hatch than anything the ship swindlers are selling.

Paul, on Opus , who has been cruising his 36 ft brentboat around the South Pacific since the 90's has seen a lot of boats go on the reefs. He said, on the origamiboats site, that a Hunter is so badly built, that they actually make a Benteau look good, by comparison.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-04-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

You have made your one & only point ad nauseum Brent - give it a rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-04-2014

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Bobsmack has simply not enough practical hands on experience to be capable of designing practicality and function into a boat. So he only designs appearance as that is all he is capable of understanding with so little ( ZERO) long term cruising experince.
Brent, why do you continually make statements like the above? You have one way of designing boats based on ideas that you think important. Bob designs boats based on ideas that he thinks important, which are quite different from your ideas. Maybe Bob doesn't have the cruising experience that you have, but while you were cruising, he was gaining experience about boats and design techniques that you don't have in other ways. So who has the better ideas on materials, design, functionality, etc.? Well, the rest of us in the boating community, who are not designers or builders, vote on this every time we purchase a boat. There are many reasons why each of us votes the way he does, but collectively, the boating community prefers boats of the type that Bob designs by a tremendous margin, and while some people do prefer Brent boats, they are a small minority. That is reality. And most of those boats are fiberglass, and a good many are objects of beauty. Maybe, if you didn't throw out insults like above, maybe, people would be a bit kinder towards you...not that they would ever agree with your idea that your ideas are superior to others.
Old 07-05-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

BS is getting even more desperate. His only comeback is personal insults. He is a silly person. This will not stop so I have become immune to it. He has nothing to add here in terms of discussing yacht design. He needs to stay in the shallow end of the pool. His one note argument is tired and useless in the face of reality.

Just spent a fun day and evening with my family and my Chinese exchange student. He had fun with the big box of fireworks I provided. "Made in China"! Max taught him how to paddleboard today. Fireworks are still going strong here at the shack but Cruz is off to bed and I'm not going to be far behind. I'm knackered. Jill and the dogs packed it in an hour ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-08-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

There are 4 brentboats in my current anchorage , Heriot Bay. Two more just headed north. One is brand new , built by a couple in Alberta with very little sailing experience. With my book and plans and Alex's video they had no problems and are very happy with their boat, which gets a steady stream of compliments, everywhere they go. They did a beautiful job on her. They said lifting her completed , out of their yard ,they used a brand new crane, which put the total weight at 18,300 lbs. They used a laser to check for any flexing movement while moving her. The movement in her hull was zero.
Another 36 I built has just finished a circumnavigation, with a 6 inch OD steel mast ,which they had no inclination to change for aluminium. Another 36 I built is in the Caribean ,finishing a circumnavigation ,again with a steel mast, again with no inclination to switch it to aluminium.

A guy on the dock yesterday pointed out that the only critics of my boats are those who know least about them ,while those who own them , love them

I think one of the things which bother Bobsmack is my pointing out his total lack of experience in long term cruising, long term boat maintenance on any one boat , long term living aboard, and zero experience in building or maintaining a steel boat, while giving advice on all the above , at $150 an hour.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-08-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

It's always interesting that none of these swooningly satisfied customers of yours post any of this information on your site. And you can never seem to provide a link to their blog or anything else that backs it up.

The best reviews always come only from you. Does anyone out there really buy all this?
slap likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-08-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

guys while arguments may be true both sides,

there are many cruisers that dont BLOG, dont write about what color poop they did, and what their boat smells like in summer and are plenty happy being that way.

so asking for proof of stuff like that is foolish...

best way is by word of mouth out there...ask fellow cruisers what they like and dislike about their boat and that way you really know whats up.

again...chilax peeeps! jajajaja

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 07-08-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen, I propose a change to the current rules of the duel.

Bob, you've been pro fiberglass and anti-steel. Brent, you've been pro-steel and anti-fiberglass.

Care to switch sides for a couple posts??

We all know there is no perfect boat, and boats are a series of compromises. Designers should know this better than the rest of us, so Brent should be familiar with the negatives of his boats and his building medium and so should Bob.

Brent, what are the CONS of steel boats, and Brentboats in particular.
Bob, what are the CONS of fiberglass, and some particular cons for your heavier cruising boats?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-08-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

zing!

im all ears

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 07-08-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
guys while arguments may be true both sides,

there are many cruisers that dont BLOG, dont write about what color poop they did, and what their boat smells like in summer and are plenty happy being that way.

so asking for proof of stuff like that is foolish...

best way is by word of mouth out there...ask fellow cruisers what they like and dislike about their boat and that way you really know whats up.

again...chilax peeeps! jajajaja
"Word of mouth" is handy. I'll grant you that.
christian.hess likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40