Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1721Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

sorry I just like to learn...weeding thorugh crap is not a job I would ever wish on someone...

much respect for thread mods...I come from motorcyle forums and they are even worse than sailing forums sometimes

forget I said anything

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 07-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I Googled "copinol" Christian but most hits were in Spanish and that is not one of my languages. I see copinol beads and copinol weather mostly.
copinol is said to be exported to europe and the states by the name or "courbaril"

hymanea species

other names, guapinol, jatoba, algarrobo

trees can reach 40meters high...

obviously like other woods they differ from country to country in both strength, quality and uses....

Old 07-15-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Ch,

The pros and cons of steel is the title of this thread, but it's not what it's about. If you want strict adherence check out cruising forum. I, for one, commend sailnet for letting this epic thread go "off leash".

If you don't want to wade through "crap" then pass this thread by. Unsubscribe.

On the other hand if you want to watch Goliath squish David, stay tuned....

MedSailor
shank32095 likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-15-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Earlier there was discussion of plate on frame v. frameless. My impression is for vessels over 40-45' you can escape the major portion of the weight penalty of steel even using plate thick enough to allow ice certification. Can we discuss pro/con of this?
Would point out 99.9per cent of commercial shipping is in steel.
Steel boats and ships sink. Some of the most famous get movies or books written about them.
Old 07-15-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
copinol is said to be exported to europe and the states by the name or "courbaril"

hymanea species

other names, guapinol, jatoba, algarrobo

trees can reach 40meters high...

obviously like other woods they differ from country to country in both strength, quality and uses....
So.. you mean this stuff then??

A.k.a "Brazilian Cherry". A very hard hardwood - but not as hard as "Brazillian Walnut". Not a "Teak" either, but looks to me like a good boat-building timber. I'm sure Bob would know of it.

Last edited by Classic30; 07-15-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
Happy to.. if you can define exactly which species of the wood commonly called 'Teak' you are actually referring to.
Tectona Grandis - accept no substitutes.
smurphny likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-16-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Tectona Grandis - accept no substitutes.
Burmese Teak... right you are. ..but is the "teak" you're buying old-growth or plantation? From Burma or Costa Rica??

I've seen much variation in quality recently and since Philippine Teak is now harder to come by I'm thinking of switching something else - just not sure what.

Last edited by Classic30; 07-16-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2014

Quote:
So.. you mean this stuff then??

Hymenaea courbaril - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A.k.a "Brazilian Cherry". A very hard hardwood - but not as hard as "Brazillian Walnut". Not a "Teak" either, but looks to me like a good boat-building timber. I'm sure Bob would know of it.
didnt say it was teak but yes thats the stuff...changes by zone a bit...

down here its used for marine construction of beach houses and stuff for big beams holding the thatch roofs...

its vey strong and heavy...

Last edited by christian.hess; 07-16-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Ch,

The pros and cons of steel is the title of this thread, but it's not what it's about. If you want strict adherence check out cruising forum. I, for one, commend sailnet for letting this epic thread go "off leash".

If you don't want to wade through "crap" then pass this thread by. Unsubscribe.

On the other hand if you want to watch Goliath squish David, stay tuned....

MedSailor

interesting...

Old 07-16-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Burmese Teak... right you are. ..but is the "teak" you're buying old-growth or plantation? From Burma or Costa Rica??

I've seen much variation in quality recently and since Philippine Teak is now harder to come by I'm thinking of switching something else - just not sure what.
You can tell plantation teak at a glance - no colour. It's still better than almost anything else for the outside of a boat, especially if you plan to leave it bare where colour doesn't matter after a while.

On a boat, teak is truly the king of woods - everything else is vying for a distant second place.
smurphny and christian.hess like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Closed Thread