Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1354Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013

rgp is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Disclaimer: I own a steel boat
I'm not about to get into a debate about which is better, I'll just describe my experience. As wise person told me the best boat is the one that when you look at it from your dinghy you smile.
I'm on my second steel boat, both Waterlines.
The previous owner of the first boat had hit a whale, it bent the rudder shaft and broke the skeg free of the boat. He made it back to port without any water in the boat. Fast forward a couple of years, I've bought the boat, sailed it from San Francisco to the Puget Sound, and brought it back to Waterline for a check up. They found some cracks in the plating around the rudder post, not seen or fixed after the whale. Fast forward again, a couple of months, new rudder skeg and plating, thinner wallet and all is good. I think you'll agree after looking at the photos that this would have sent most boats to the bottom.
In the six years I've owned the boats I haven't done any more preventive maintained then my fellow harbour mates, those that keep their boats looking good.
Waterline flame zincs above the waterline. On the first boat I had some exposed steel in the cockpit coaming for two years before fixing it, from a poorly lead furling line, not a speck of rust.
In a bad winter storm two years ago a fender popped which allowed the boat to pound steel to the dock for 36 hours before it was fixed. It rubbed the paint off a 25*50 cm area. I used the boat most of the next summer before fixing it, again no rust, just some prep work and paint and all is good as new. I don't know how other boats would have fared but my steel boat did very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-berkutcruise2005%2520308%5B1%5D.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-100_9741.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-p1000300.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

How was the whale?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-13-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgp View Post
Disclaimer: I own a steel boat
I'm not about to get into a debate about which is better, I'll just describe my experience. As wise person told me the best boat is the one that when you look at it from your dinghy you smile.
I'm on my second steel boat, both Waterlines.
The previous owner of the first boat had hit a whale, it bent the rudder shaft and broke the skeg free of the boat. He made it back to port without any water in the boat. Fast forward a couple of years, I've bought the boat, sailed it from San Francisco to the Puget Sound, and brought it back to Waterline for a check up. They found some cracks in the plating around the rudder post, not seen or fixed after the whale. Fast forward again, a couple of months, new rudder skeg and plating, thinner wallet and all is good. I think you'll agree after looking at the photos that this would have sent most boats to the bottom.
Looks somewhat like the damage that a GRP Phantom 42 had when hitting a rock going at hull speed, except only the rudder stock was damaged

Point being that no hull material is "holing-proof" - had it been a bigger whale or had the previous owner been going faster, would your boat have been holed then? (Glad it didn't).
Old 08-13-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Dealer I bought my current boat from also sells Waterline. Impeccably constructed steel boats with aesthetically gorgeous interiors. At 1m up for new not cheap. I was referring to the BS boats not yours or Puffins or the like. Sir I wish wish you joy- you have a very fine vessel. As Bob said shows what can be done in steel.
Old 08-13-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I agree with Out. Waterlines are a far cry from BS boats. The Waterlines I have looked at are beautiful boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-15-2013
grumpy old man

BS is missing in action. He probably can't stand it that this is the weekend of the Perry Rendezvous where 50 of my boats will gather for a big party. On the other hand maybe he's headed down here in his BS boat. I would really, truly like to meet him on the dock.
I can only dream.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-15-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Bob,

What time do you get to PL friday? I would luv to come, but am doing a "race" saturday all day. But should be up that way going to and from PT. I'm sure you leave ludlow reasonably early sunday.

Marty
Old 08-15-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
BS is missing in action. He probably can't stand it that this is the weekend of the Perry Rendezvous where 50 of my boats will gather for a big party. On the other hand maybe he's headed down here in his BS boat. I would really, truly like to meet him on the dock.
I can only dream.
Just look for a boat bouncing off the ledges and hitting logs
Old 08-15-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3b View Post
Just look for a boat bouncing off the ledges and hitting logs
If you have a reef there close by his boat will be the one grinding and gyrating on it like a stripper on a pole....

In fact this might be a BS boat, but in the end they took it out and put it out of its misery, in fact it is quickly becoming a reef for other BS boats to grind on....

Seems that this one must not have been a real BS boat, after all the damage was so great they towed it out to sea and scuttled it.
Old 08-15-2013
grumpy old man

Marty:
I'm heading up to PL today with Ruby. It will be a quiet day. I'll be there all day Friday. I have rented the Pintail House for the weekend. It's the nice house at the far western end of the marina parking lot. I might be wandering the docks. I might be at the house. Yoiu never know. I'm a ramblin' kind of guy. I'll be easy spot. I'm the extremely good looking guy with grey hair and a black and white Portuguese Water Dog.

Bob's Blog ....