Pros and cons of steel sailboats - Page 517 - SailNet Community
 1723Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5161 of 5317 Old 07-26-2014
Closet Powerboater

Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Don't forget, amazing guitar player and the part about leaping tall buildings.
I like how bob's shadow has a cowboy hat. Spooky!

MedSailor
AlaskaMC and SloopJonB like this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 5317 Old 07-27-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Bob has his own group of fanboi's!!...

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"

Last edited by Classic30; 07-27-2014 at 07:24 PM.
post #5163 of 5317 Old 07-27-2014
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post

Bob has his own group of fanboi's!!...
It's cool, so does Brent. Just ask him.

MedSailor
Classic30 and AlaskaMC like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5164 of 5317 Old 07-28-2014
Wingnut

Brent came over today.
Spent the afternoon giving me ideas and guidance on the boat. Then we went for an ice cream in the harbour. I Cant imagine having a better boat designer.
He really gets what i am trying to do. Its nice to know that he treats me like a friend and not a customer.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk
post #5165 of 5317 Old 07-28-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfloats View Post
Brent came over today.
Spent the afternoon giving me ideas and guidance on the boat. Then we went for an ice cream in the harbour. I Cant imagine having a better boat designer.
He really gets what i am trying to do. Its nice to know that he treats me like a friend and not a customer.

That is cool. Good on Brent. Actually, it's what any designer of one-offs should do for their clients.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #5166 of 5317 Old 07-29-2014

Not only one offs but semi customs and production runs as well. We have had the usual bugs with our new boat. I didn't like supports for hard Bimini. Phil lambert redesigned it. Then had it constructed at his yard. Then shipped to my marina. Then he flew up from Florida to help install it. The broker, josh hodgson, has both spent untold hours educating us to our systems and workin out small bugs. Class acts. That's why they are still in business.
When we had a production boat- a PSC 34- a call to steve Brody resulted in a answer or part. We bought this boat used. There wasn't a dime in it for steve.
Yes maybe with the large production builders it's different. But I don't think so as those with out good customer support are at risk of poor referrals and moving up with repeat buyers.
smackdaddy likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5167 of 5317 Old 07-29-2014

Actually, I have had some dealings with Beneteau's service department and it has been amazingly great on each occasion providing information and parts at very reasonable prices (even obscure proprietary parts such as a radiused cherry door from a model that was 12 years out of production). My few dealings with Hunter have been similar but not as stellar. I have not had direct dealings with Catalina so I can't comment.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5168 of 5317 Old 07-29-2014
grumpy old man

August 22nd till the 24th is the Perry Rendezvous. We will have up to 50 boats and 200 people there. This year we are having the formal christening ceremony for FRANCIS LEE. Of course we will have bagpipes! I will get to spend time with a lot of owners of my boats. They all seem to be friends and I like that. For certain it is a big ego stroke for me but what the hell, I've worked hard at this. There are few things I like more than being around a group of sailors who's lives are enriched by owning one of my boats. I just love to see people having fun in my boats. Kind of completes the circle.

Had a guy sail up in a Baba 30 and anchor just down the beach from my shack last weekend. His boat looked great and he appeared to be enjoying himself. He was by himself so I did not intrude.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 07-29-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #5169 of 5317 Old 07-29-2014
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfloats View Post
Brent came over today.

That's great news. For as much as I enjoy piling on at times and giving Brent a hard time, and as much as I am genuinely concerned about the lack of technical design theory that he is willing to show, he does seem to be really great about helping his clients out with their builds. When undertaking such a huge project by oneself I can see that as being a big plus.

How's your boat coming along?? You probably hate this question, but when do you estimate she'll be done?

MedSailor
bobperry likes this.

post #5170 of 5317 Old 07-29-2014
grumpy old man

BTW:
You are all invited to the Perry Rendezvous. I don't care what kind of boat you have. We have one powerboat that comes every year. Maybe they just like the food or the music.

Also:
Mark is going to show up here today in his big tractor truck. I have never met him but I have assured my wife that he is a good guy. He's hopefully spend a couple of days here. I can't wait to see his truck parked in my driveway! I'll take photos.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.