Pros and cons of steel sailboats - Page 521 - SailNet Community
 1723Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5201 of 5317 Old 08-02-2014
Wingnut

Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

[QUOTE=Panope;2061641]I hear ya on the safety while the boat is on the hard. I think if I had a boat with no lifelines I would at least have a provision for temporary solid lines when hauled out.

The first years of my project were accomplished with the boat parked on my lawn. The grass at least looked nice and soft. When I moved to my current home, the boat ended up on a concrete slab so adding lifelines became a priority.

I wonder if you noticed a change in the way your boat "feels" on deck. On Panope, the addition of the tall, solid lifelines made the deck space appear larger - especially the foredeck. I am not sure what is driving this illusion but more than one person who came aboard (after the lifelines were installed) had a similar finding.

I have found the solid lines to be very useful for mounting various items like cleats, seats, liferings etc...

Here are some shots of my set up. I post the photos of my aluminum work with the assumption that most of this stuff could be executed in steel or SS just as easily.

Steve

I tottally agree.
boat feels way biger on deck.
Its a great thing.

I was on a roberts the other day with those little trip lines, and heavily cambered decks, inboard rig, what a nightmare to move around on, even at anchor... Just plain silly.
Brent Swain likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5202 of 5317 Old 08-04-2014

I drove 18-wheelers for a living in the 80's. Back then the transmissions were really complicated, with at least 24 gears on two or 3 levels, and you had to double clutch to change gears. And if you messed up going up or down the hill, things would get serious very fast. That is why they had so many runaway truck ramps filled with sand on all downhill roads. Today driving big rigs is much easier but it is still a very serious job.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5203 of 5317 Old 08-09-2014

Brent Swain Page 167

"Anyone backing me up on that site, including Coast Guard, were all attacked and accused of being me under an alias. Some instantly began receiving threatening emails."

I have noticed that...

Me Page 301

When a boat has a close encounter with a rocky coast which they have been known to do... A wooden boat or a pretty tupperware seem to last less then 19 minutes while a metal boat will get a dent that may be hard to buff out...Just saying...

First reply...

Bob:
You are absolutely correct. ( I think you made up the "19 minutes" part though and that hampers your credibility. 19 minutes? Really? Not 23 minutes? Could you please document where you got the 19 minutes from?)

I didn't think that my post on Page 154 put me on anyones side in this Pi$$ing Match...

Bob142
Desolation Sound
Maple Leaf 48

Any storm in a port...
post #5204 of 5317 Old 08-09-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob142 View Post
Brent Swain Page 167

"Anyone backing me up on that site, including Coast Guard, were all attacked and accused of being me under an alias. Some instantly began receiving threatening emails."

I have noticed that...

Me Page 301

When a boat has a close encounter with a rocky coast which they have been known to do... A wooden boat or a pretty tupperware seem to last less then 19 minutes while a metal boat will get a dent that may be hard to buff out...Just saying...

First reply...

Bob:
You are absolutely correct. ( I think you made up the "19 minutes" part though and that hampers your credibility. 19 minutes? Really? Not 23 minutes? Could you please document where you got the 19 minutes from?)

I didn't think that my post on Page 154 put me on anyones side in this Pi$$ing Match...
Ahm, I have no idea what the above is supposed to mean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #5205 of 5317 Old 08-09-2014
I can't re Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Ahm, I have no idea what the above is supposed to mean.
I think it's about time travel, maybe?
post #5206 of 5317 Old 08-09-2014

" I must maintain this rigid position or all is lost"

http://www.stat.pitt.edu/stoffer/whiteman.gif

Last edited by shank32095; 08-09-2014 at 06:05 PM.
post #5207 of 5317 Old 08-09-2014
grumpy old man

I could go for some serious time travel.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #5208 of 5317 Old 08-09-2014

Hurricane sandy came through and caused a 25+ year old cheribini to leave its mooring. It ended up on a breakwater made of huge granite blocks.. It was left there to pound for the rest of the storm as it was empty. It went down to delrin n.j. and was restored. From what I was told looks fine and back sailing.
Glass is not as delicate as some would say.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5209 of 5317 Old 08-24-2014

I just found a way to clean up this site and make it more relevant to the original subject matter. I just put Bobsmack on my ignore list. It eliminates the childish jeering and leaves the relevant material from those who are more likely to have actual cruising experience. Eliminates the "Little Boy " pictures from the steel boat discussion. Shoulda done that a long time ago. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to weed out the armchair experts, who have no long term cruising experience and no metal boat building or metal boat cruising experience.
Wunnerful!

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"

Last edited by Brent Swain; 08-24-2014 at 06:21 PM.
post #5210 of 5317 Old 08-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Hurricane sandy came through and caused a 25+ year old cheribini to leave its mooring. It ended up on a breakwater made of huge granite blocks.. It was left there to pound for the rest of the storm as it was empty. It went down to delrin n.j. and was restored. From what I was told looks fine and back sailing.
Glass is not as delicate as some would say.
Was that open ocean?What kind of fetch!
Glass is definitely a lot tougher than wood ( dead vegitation|) and a far better boat building material ,but nowhere near as tough as steel.
I have seen a lot of plastic boats which could have survived, had the builder built up the turn of the bilges, where extra weigh costs nothing, in terms of performance.
That could be done in uncored older boats, undergoing a refit.

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.