Pros and cons of steel sailboats - Page 525 - SailNet Community
 1723Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5241 of 5317 Old 08-25-2014
Last Man Standing

Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

At least he has the American Sporran going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5242 of 5317 Old 08-25-2014
grumpy old man

I have a real, antique sporran hanging in my office but the one I wear is made from hemp and carries:
dog treats
Dog poop sacks
Two corn cob pipes
and when I am lucky some pipe cleaners

My real, antique sporran could not carry that much cargo.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #5243 of 5317 Old 08-26-2014
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I just found a way to clean up this site and make it more relevant to the original subject matter. I just put Bobsmack on my ignore list. It eliminates the childish jeering and leaves the relevant material from those who are more likely to have actual cruising experience. Eliminates the "Little Boy " pictures from the steel boat discussion. Shoulda done that a long time ago. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to weed out the armchair experts, who have no long term cruising experience and no metal boat building or metal boat cruising experience.
Wunnerful!
Good for you Brent. Run from any feedback as a seller of boats and designs. Should make your potential customers run too. Smart man. Falls right in line with your comments on here in the past. Just a point though, you should read the title of the thread. It isn't labeled "Pros of steel sailboats". You may have missed that it was "pros and cons of steel sailboats". Wouldn't hear many of the cons from you now would we?

PS: Hey Bob, missed you at the party last weekend. Couldn't get there on Saturday but still got to meet some of your very satisfied boat owners on Sunday. They all seemed very happy to have a boat designed by you to use for long term cruising. And on that note, I had planned to give you a check so that I could take advantage of your actual experience in our upcoming boat purchase. I will give a call or pm when I am not traveling. Hanging in the Ketchikan airport now. A custom one of yours has made the final list for sure!
post #5244 of 5317 Old 08-26-2014
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
]
Wouldn't it be so much better to buy a plastic boat for cheap and get out there and have some fun instead of squandering your best years in your own freakin' backyard?
For the sake of argument Smack, this is what people say to me about wooden kayaks. Why not just buy a plastic one?

I enjoy the process and end up with a lighter, faster, and pleasing to the eye design. But, most of my friends would hate the sanding, epoxy, varnish, upkeep etc. They should get plastic because they will have more fun. I build wood because I have more fun. Different strokes as they say.

On the sailboat front, welding a whole boat in my yard, building an interior, rigging, deck etc is just making me tired typing it. Can't imaging building one. In fact, if I was to build my own it would likely be glass and wood, but the rest of the process still sounds like a nightmare. So for me, you would be absolutely right. But for a welder and cabinet maker? Maybe it would be fun for them.
post #5245 of 5317 Old 08-27-2014
Frozen Member

Just caught up with the thread and saw all the pics from Saturday. I am so disappointed that we had to miss and go back out to Northbend that night. Let my hotel in Port Townsend go and missed the Rendezvous. Damn. The pics make it look like a blast and you deserve it for what your designs have done for the people that love them and sail them.

How much happiness does one boat create in this world? I can't even imagine how much happiness all of your boats have created for so many people.

Bravo Maestro !
post #5246 of 5317 Old 08-27-2014

As a metal boat user since 1982 (no glass experience), The Perry Rendezvous was a great opportunity to checkout some new (to me) boats. While walking the docks looking at and climbing aboard Bob's boats, some words kept popping in my head: Solid, Substantial, Fit For Purpose, Craftsmanship, Beautiful.

I flew a photographer overhead on Saturday and he snapped a few pictures. Rendezvous boats are moored on the closest dock.

Here's a shot of Panope from a couple weeks ago. I forgot if I mentioned it previously, but most of these boats (Saugeen Witch) are built in steel. Mine is Aluminum.

Last edited by Panope; 08-27-2014 at 12:31 AM.
post #5247 of 5317 Old 08-27-2014
sailing soon

Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I would have liked to have been at the rendezvous, but I have to work so I can actually afford a boat for next year's event. Beautiful photos, Violet looked like she was having a ball and that grumpy old man didn't look grumpy at all, I guess it's hard not to be happy with so many beautiful sailboats around...

On the way to Georgia now, work is going well. Bob, if you remember the photos I showed you of the blue Kenworth I have that has a blown engine, well that engine is coming out to go to the rebuilder by 15 September, so the next ride we go for will be in that one.

I wish you all a wonderful remainder of the summer sailing season, post those photos, that way at least I can enjoy your voyages haha.

It is good to learn from your mistakes, but much better to learn from the mistakes of others...
post #5248 of 5317 Old 08-27-2014
grumpy old man

Steve:
Great shots. I'll save that pic you shot from the plane. Your boat got a lot of attention. I'm very glad you made it to the Rendezvous, a little salsa for my chips.

That photo was taken pretty early Saturday. We had boats arrive all day and as late as 7:30 pm. We filled that marina this year with only a couple boats on the hook for a change. We never did kick that powerboat off the outer dock.

MC:
Sorry to have missed you but I had another music gig for Sunday afternoon so I had to get out early. We'll connect soon.

Mark:
I can't do grumpy at the Rendezvous. Impossible. It makes me very happy to see so many people together enjoying the fruits of my design efforts. For me, that's what it's all about. I really like to see my family immersed in my world and proud of what "Buppy" has accomplished over the years. It's not easy to impress your family. I'll take you up on that truck ride when you get back here and we can discuss your new boat adventure.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 08-27-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #5249 of 5317 Old 08-28-2014

Friends have said to me " Why would you waste your time arguing with a total egomaniac who responds to a question about metal boats as if it was a question asking him to talk incessantly about himself and how he spent his day. " I am always open to feedback from my clients, which has steadily improved my boats, from the feedback from people who actually own them and do circumnavigations in them, not from those who know nothing about them, or about metal boats in general.
Yes, the question was about metal boats ,not about kiddy pictures, day sailing in an oversized toy, or a fat man playing his guitar. When someone trying to portray himself as a guru( or a politician) gets asked a question about something he knows nothing about, the standard response is to change the subject. Sounds a lot like the standard response here, by those who have no personal experience in cruising in, maintaining, or building metal boats.
Don't get your advice from someone with zero experience in the type of boat you are talking about. (Like Bobsmack.)
James Pronk posted a great post on the origami boats site recently. He said the Catalina he owned, took far more work to get things right ( as it was a stock abortion, built as poorly as one can imagine), than it would have taken to build a brentboat.The time he took to repair an older wooden boat was as much as it would take to build 2 brentboats. At the end of each project he still didn't have as good a boat as he would had he spent less time building a brentboat, his next boat.

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"
post #5250 of 5317 Old 08-28-2014
grumpy old man

BS: You do such a good job of making yourself look like an idiot I think I'll just stand back and let you make a fool of yourself.
JomsViking, slap and mr_f like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.