Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1682Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Good point, and probably what p155e5 many of us off - Some of us have experienced bone idle thieving lying ba5tards on boats looking similar to e.g. Everything Wong, and one of their identificators are that they have let them self and their boats go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3b View Post
I guess he thinks it sounds good.Hey I only spend about 15 minutes a year cleaning my body.Around Xmas/New years I'll take a quick splash, a little brush of the old teeth,maybe wipe me bum.I dont need anything frivilous or costly like laundry,I just stand out in the rain with my clothes on....never have to work at'tall or ever change yer socks an little streams of whiskey jus' come tumblin down the rocks.
Old 08-22-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Funny, how people who have never sailed my boats, claim to know more about how my boats sail to windward than people who actually sail them, then call others liars. Funny how people, who claim that a heavily varnished wooden boat is as easy to maintain as a painted one, then call those who challenge this claim, liars ?
Makes it obvious who the real liars are!
Old 08-22-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I've never quite gotten Brent's line of reasoning on this either. I too can easily spend $0 and 0 time maintaining my boat. It's really not that hard. Lots of people do it.

How exactly does Brent think this is an admirable thing?
I think his implication is that his boats don't NEED it - they are so much more durable than those junky plastic things that they simply don't wear anything out.

He has long since demonstrated that his personal cosmetic/aesthetic bar is set at a work boat level - function follows function.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah - it's just a bummer that many of them are unfinished and rusting away in backyards. What an environmental waste. Huge footprint.
All boats are unfinished at some point in their construction, Smack. No Smack, they don't often go instantly, from start to finished ! Had you any experience, you would know that.
Old 08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I seem to recall some bottom paints having teflon or something similar in them......... With copper going out in many area's, there will have to be some creative thinking on keeping the crud off the hull bottoms.

Marty
I once had a dirty bottom and a windward bash a head of me, in a very small tide zone . Dragged a poly tarp under my boat ,let it float up against my hull, then poured a gallon of bleach down into it. By next morning all the weeds had fallen off. Fresh water ( including rain water) can do the same , over a longer time span.
A Japanese friend said he had a friend who swore by ground wasabi in his antifouling.
Old 08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
"My boats have no problem pointing higher and sailing faster than many GRP boats."

What a silly thing to say.

I'd like a little more specificity on this. But if it came from BS I think it still would be BS considering his claim of his boats outrunning the racing fleet in San Diego. BS must think we are very stupid if he expects us to believe that.

I would never expect his boats to be fast boats and I can't imagine that is their primary purpose. I'm certain no one builds a BS boat for it's speed . His boats certainly have features that make them very attractive for a certain set of owners but speed is not one of them.

I do know a bit about boat speed. Just look up Swiftsure Race results for the past three years on all courses. My designs have been dominant. This is specific fact and not a silly fictitious claim.
Sure Bob. And what was the price tag on those boats and sails? Anything the average cruiser could afford? Anything under $35K? What was the draft? Anything practical for cruising? How big a crew do they require? Could they be handled by a couple? What were their annual maintenance costs? Did they have those bad seamanship, 24 inch high, extruded tinfoil stanchions?
I have yet to hear of a single innovation by Bob,to deal with the biggest hurdle cruisers face, time and money. His approach seems to be elitism, discouragement and obstructionism.
I once rafted alongside one of those "State of the art " racing boats in San Diego, called " Pandemonium" The keel fell off her, when she foolishly tried to make it to Hawaii.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 08-26-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

-Bleh
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-580486_4644117853615_1257241598_n.jpg  
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 08-22-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

She said "God I LOVE Bob Perry designs!".
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-01_beautiful_naked_girls.jpg  
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by jak3b; 08-22-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Mark:
Thanks for posting that pic of the alu Norseman. That guy was a real artist in alu. He was one of the most skilled "home builders" I have ever worked with. The steel boat was built by Amazon and has many miles on it. But it is a true
"yacht" and a far cry from the BS boats aesthetically.

We live on a beach where all the new houses are custom builds. Almost all of these are custom designs. Ours is a custom design by Chuck Schiff. I did all the interior details but I do not call myself "the designer" of my home. When I talk to other beach residents with sustom homes I often here,"I designed it." Then I ask, "Did you do the drawings?" Typically they say no but they did some sketches. If they didn't do the working drawings then I would not soncider them the designer of their house.

So is BS a designer? If he does his won drawings and builds to those drawings then I would call him the "designer" and the builder obviously. He must not be very proud of his drawings as I have never seen any posted here. My drawings are works of art and many, many boats have been built from them and are currently being built from them. I post my drawings with pride and challenge anyone calling themselves a "yacht designer" to post better drawings. In my office the design process is taken very seriously. I want the quality of the drawings to reflect the quality of the design work AND the quality I expect in the finished product.
A friend went to see an amazon being built. The builder told him the boat was ready for spray foaming and the foamer was coming that night. There was nothing but a light coat of primer inside, and no welding inside. He could see almost an eighth of an inch into the welds, with the outside mostly ground off. There was roughly the thickness of a beer can holding the seams together. My friend built one of mine, and sailed her from BC to England.
Another friend, Eric, ordered an amazon, bare hull and decks, and insisted on no primer. He wanted to see the state of the bare steel hull. They primed it anyway . When he sandblasted her he found the primer was there to hide very thick layers of filler.
A Kiwi told me his friend ordered an Amazon, and specified longitudinals be tacked with a 2 inch tack every 6 inches. When he scraped out some foam, he found they had a half inch tack every 2 feet. He persued the builder with a court summons, to sue him. When he caught up with him, and served the summons , the shop declared bankruptcy, and that was the last amazon ever built.
Those are the kind of boats which impress Bob. I don't build boats in a way which impresses Bob. I build them properly.
What causes distortion? Welding ! How do you avoid distortion on a boat with transverse framing? Don't weld it well. Guaranteed to impress those who don't understand steel boats.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 08-22-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

For a hermit, you sure have a lot of friends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40