LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
"Brent is kind of messianic about his methods"

That doesn't bother me. It's the total BS (the mythical and non existant 28' custom Perry alu boat for instance) he posts about his boats and the constant attacks on anything that is not his product that indicates to me we are dealing with someone who has a very narrow perspective of yachting. If I were to work with someone I would prefer to work with someone who is a little more open minded.
Oh, definitely. You'd have to want one of HIS boats to get involved. Even then I suspect you'd get a lot of arguments about "yachting" the boat up.

My comments were made in the context of wanting basically what he's offering.

Most messiahs are pretty narrow folks. At least his adherents haven't put out a fatwa on you Bob.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

After 4 1/2 months of pounbing on an open ocean coral reef "Nuthin Wong" is off and floating with no leaks . Most of her gear has been returned or replaced. She has been cleaned up and repainted. Clive would sell her for $30K , then spend the money on a smaller origami boat.
I have never claimed that an origami boat could survive any grounding, just that many have ( read 'Around the world on Viski" by Don Shore) making your odds of surviving such a grounding exponentially greater.
A slight variation of the deck shape makes for variations in the sheer line on any origami boat, without changing the underwater shape much. I think Benteau, Hunter and Jeneau could greatly benefit by hiring Bob to get the uglieness out of their boats. He has the eye for shape, which their designers definitely don't.

My hatches are definitely far easier to use than the sliding hatch contraptions, which you have to disassemble and reassemble every time you go thru them in bad weather. Sliding hatches are definitely a throw back , grossly outdated . Van de Stadt gave them up long ago, as have the round the world racers. Try sell a house who's only access is thru such a contraption as a sliding hatch and drop boards! They would be partially justified, if they were more watertight, but they are the opposite , impossible to get watertight . A once piece door is as watertight as the lid on a pressure cooker, and far easier to use that a sliding hatch . The trick is to give the back of the wheelhouse a 25 degree slope.
One couple on one of my 31 footers tried sliding hatch and drop boards. After many close scrapes almost suffering serious injury from the contraption, going from BC to California, they switched back to a door, and then sailed on to England.

When I asked the owner of the alminium boat( Carmella) who the designer was, he said "Bob Perry " I didn't ask him for proof.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 08-23-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Yeah Brent, most of us are very aware that your boats have a penchant for running aground. I find it quite funny. Even funnier was your reason why.

I'm not offerring my design services to anyone other than my own clients. I think the boats you speak of Brent are very well designed boats, extremely well designed. Do I like them? No, not really but I do recognize good design even when it's not to my taste. I work at keeping my mind open. My pal Tom calls those boats the "bloated tennis shoe" look. "Euro design" is not my style.

Here are a few photos just to emphasize that Brent and I work in entorely different worlds. Two of these pics show the PSC 62' ketch having some paint tests done. It will be a black hull. The other two pics show the 62' Sliver Project keel finally attached to its bulb and the owner's son Derek standing next to the dainty and beautiful stern.

Note the reflections in the black hull test. I like shiny boats.

I guess I am gloating. Not sure exactly how you gloat but I'm giving it a go. I am very, very happy with my slice of the yachting world.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-derek-keel.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-stern-w-derek.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-paint-1.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-paint-2.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 08-23-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Very nice Bob.Interesting how different they are but the same length.
Old 08-23-2013
grumpy old man

Jak:
Yep, it's almost hard to imagine two boats less alike in proportions and complexity.
The PSC boat weighs more than twice what the Sliver Project weighs.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-23-2013

I like the picture of Derek next to the Stern. Very low freeboard. That will be something sitting to leeward in the cockpit, the water flying by.The sensation should be wild.Good on ya Bob.
Old 08-23-2013
grumpy old man

Jak:
I'll let you know how it works out. I put a lot of effort into those stern sections. This is not a shape dictated by a geometry method. This is my eye trying to make the water work for me. I think I am right. I'll know soon.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-23-2013

She sure looks right Bob,I have no doubt.
Old 08-23-2013
grumpy old man

jak:
I always have some doubts. That's what dives me. I always want the next one to be better.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-23-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Not sure exactly how you gloat but I'm giving it a go.
You've nailed it. That's cool, though, you've earned the right.
(Dammit, there I go, giving you a pass once more, when you have assured me you don't need one. )