LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
One of my clients just shot this photo of WILD HORSES leaving the Perry Rendezvous. This is the alu hull, composite deck boat and now a live aboard getting ready to head for the South Pacific.
Awesome boat.
Old 08-26-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Thanks Mark. WILD HORSES is a about ten years old now and I still can't see anything I would change. The owners love it. They moved up from a Nordic 44. Big move.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Thanks Mark. WILD HORSES is a about ten years old now and I still can't see anything I would change. The owners love it. They moved up from a Nordic 44. Big move.
Wow, that was a big move, is WILD HORSES rigged for just the two of them to be able to easily handle it?

I watched a video on a Hanse 57' that is designed to be easily handled by a couple. In fact the self tacking jib and the lines being run properly it looked like a person in good physical shape could fairly easily single hand it, and it is a HUGE boat on the inside. If I have a half dozen rich relatives kick off and leave me a huge inheritance, I might be able to afford one. ( Unfortunately I do not have any rich relatives who are childless, and I certainly do not have any I would trade for a boat.)

I will end up with something much more economically reasonable, but I can dream.
Old 08-26-2013
grumpy old man

Mark:
The original owner of WH, Tully, was 75 when the boat was launched and he sailed the boat by himself. Tully is a big, tough man who knows sailing well. Dale and Tina have done a lot of offshore sailing and they have a 6' tall, 12 year old son who was born cruising the So Pac. I imagine he is quite skilled at sailing by now. I've never asked Dale and Tina how easy the boat was for them to sail. They have never said it wasn't easy. Sheets lead to within easy reeach of the helmsman. The only thing I don't like about the way the boat is rigged is the high boom and the lazy jacks/StakPak combo are a bit awkward when you want to stow the lazy jacks alongside the boom and roll the StakPak up. But my own experiences sailing the boat have shown it to be a big pussycat. Draft is 8'6" with a fin and bulb keel and a big spade rudder. Total displ is around 32,000 lbs. in current trim. It's been so,me time since I measured freeboards so that's a guess.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-26-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Just out of curiosity, what was the thinking behind the composite decks instead of more aluminium?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-26-2013
grumpy old man

Jon:
Simple, lighter weight. The builder, James Betts, had built several boats in this method before.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-26-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Great boat and story. Story gives hope to a old fart like me that I can be sailing until you read my obit. Hope is great gift. Bob thanks so much for sharing.
chall03 likes this.
Old 08-26-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Wonder if any one has experience with explosive bonding. Believed used to get leak free bond between steel hull and aluminum deck. Never understood why that wouldn't set up a battery with the aluminum disappearing. Believe they make strips- steel one side aluminum the other then weld them in at transition from hull to deck.

Last edited by outbound; 08-26-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Cruising with 8 ft 6 inch draft sounds like a huge pain in the ass. I have met people cruising with that kind of draft, and they all agreed with me.Love my 4 ft draft.
Old 08-26-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I think the basic issue is this guy:

He's the builder/owner of "Nuthin' Wong" - a Brentboat. And, if you look at his blog, he's actually the closest thing to Brent's cruising ideal than ANY of his other clients. This guy is the Brent Swain Apostle - eschewing "treadmill society" at every turn, allegedly liberating money and materiel from anyone that crosses his path. I mean, where have you heard this schpiel before (from NW's blog):

Yet Brent throws him under the bus. It's interesting to say the least.
Well said Clive.
Reminds me of the couple I met in New Zealand, Al and Helen, on their third circumnavigation in a funky old wooden Carol cruiser. Some rich young yuppie, expensively dressed , would step out of an expensive car and say
"That's what I have always wanted to do." Al would reply "You have more money than we have ever had , you have no excuse to not be doing it, so you are lying. You simply don't want to do it or you would be doing it."