Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1721Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

The Sliver hull is way sweet. Please post pics of finished boat fully rigged.
Old 08-29-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Out:
You be sure I will when we get her done. I'll post more pics when the paint job is complete. There is an entire thread on CA devoted to the build with many photos of various stages of the build. It is very well documented.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 08-29-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Thank goodness they have those awkwardly tall lifelines to keep them on the stranded boat.

Oh, and Brent doesn't pay his spokespeople. He salvages them.
Note the apparently fresh bottom paint.

"I meant to do that".

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-29-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I am sure that Oregonian does not need me speaking for him, but in other threads, if I remember correctly I believe he had explained that he has raced his Westsail 32 in a number of Pacific Distance races and had not only won on corrected time, but won boat for boat against some pretty potent competition. If he is whom I am thinking of, at some point, I was directed to an interview article about one of those races in which he describes sail changes and tactics which suggest that his boat is optimized for racing in terms of sail inventory and so on, and he understands how to make her sail to and above her rating.

FWIW; While there is much that I may quibble with him about in my prior discussions with him, I would suggest from prior exchanges, that I have no doubts in his sailing ability and veracity.

Jeff
Faster and Brent Swain like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-29-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
I have sailed past all the other boats mentioned - and I know the math.
I guess this is the problem with the statement. If Ore's sailing past the other boats mentioned in a race-configured Westsail 32 - that's understandable, but that's not sailing past them in a BS 31.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-29-2013
grumpy old man

I know it's hard to fathom but often times the boat you are passing is not aware that they are in a race or even want to be in a race. I'm always racing but that's the way some of us sail. Not everyone.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-29-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

This past year as been a huge learning curve for me. Find often need to depower the boat to keep the comfort level for my Admiral. We plan to be live aboards and cruise extensively so can't lose her. Thank you we're coming along nicely. Also commonly will experiment with trim just to learn what it does to vmg, comfort.leeway etc. Suspect when you pass boats you shouldn't often they are doing the same or just kicking back when the tunes have them distracted.. However, when myself or with experienced crew there is nothing as satisfying as sailing your boat well even if there is no other boat on the horizon. Think in life you compete with yourself not others.
Old 08-29-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
a race-configured Westsail 32.
There must be a term for a statement like that. Oxymoron? It definitely falls into the same general category as "Military Intelligence" and other such contradictions.

What exactly would constitute a "race configured" Westie? Carbon sails on a bendy rig? Removing the doors, drawers & cushions?
smackdaddy likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-29-2013
grumpy old man

You can start with a state of the art sail plan for one thing. The boat I am thinking of has a very well thought out rig and sail plan. You might think of it as a "turbo Westsail".

Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-29-2013

GBurton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
There must be a term for a statement like that. Oxymoron? It definitely falls into the same general category as "Military Intelligence" and other such contradictions.

What exactly would constitute a "race configured" Westie? Carbon sails on a bendy rig? Removing the doors, drawers & cushions?
See the full keel thread for what a race configured Westsail 32 is.
Closed Thread