Not a Member? 

Like Tree1533Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You sure do like putting words in people's mouth bro. I didn't say a brand name was necessary. I didn't say your block would break first. And I didn't say that aesthetics should trump functionality. But I will say this, the "$2/20-minute" mantra is complete crap for anyone in the real world (e.g. - not on the BrentBoat).

At the end of the day, your blocks are metal and plastic...just like the ones you think are "yachtie". Are they "stronger and more durable"? Probably...just in the same way these are stronger and more durable than yours:

Same tree, same car, yours definitely break before these. Every single time. So why not use these on your boat? At some point...strength and durability are not the main point.

I do agree with you that much of this hardware is way overpriced. And I really like the ingenuity that has gone into your blocks above. But yours ARE NOT "better" all-round than those from the major manufacturers...which can also last decades if taken care of (I have many such pieces of gear on my boats).

Compared to these main-stream products, your blocks are definitely cheaper, similarly functional, but way more bulky, way heavier, and far uglier. Again, nothing wrong with that if the tractoresque motif is what you're after. That's not what most sailors are after however.

Homemade blocks could be done a lot better than the ones you've shown if you ask me...if one cared about "perfection"...and still be reasonably cheap and nice looking. Do you think you could make one that looks as nice this 3/4" Garhauer that's about 8" long, weighs almost 2 pounds, runs $98, has a SWL of 5K?

What would that cost to build for the typical homemaker?
Yes the big ones you show are stronger ,uglier , and useless on a 36. The difference between mine and the yachty kind is ounces, about the weight of a couple of loonies in your pocket, or the big mac some have for breakfast; insignificant, and irrelevant. Lose a pound, and you would save more weight on deck.
Anyone who has done more than day sailing, knows that the shiny one doesn't stay that shiny for long , just long enough to get a sucker to pay for it. As I pointed out ,anyone could make one of mine just as shiny as the one you show, for a couple of bucks. They could even make mine out of stainless, and expect it to shine just as long, and functionally, be the same, for a lot less than $98.
My blocks, shown in the pictures, are 29 years old. How would the steel ones you show, look after 29 years of mostly full time cruising, and many Pacific crossings? Even the stainless one you show wouldn't be so shiny anymore.
Time to go for an ice cream cone.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 09-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Make it a double Brent and don't hurry back.

I've got some Umpqua Rocky Road in the reefer. Sounds good to me too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
...stronger ,uglier , and useless...
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
The difference between mine and the yachty kind is ounces, about the weight of a couple of loonies in your pocket, or the big mac some have for breakfast; insignificant, and irrelevant. Lose a pound, and you would save more weight on deck.
Anyone who has done more than day sailing, knows that the shiny one doesn't stay that shiny for long , just long enough to get a sucker to pay for it. As I pointed out ,anyone could make one of mine just as shiny as the one you show, for a couple of bucks. They could even make mine out of stainless, and expect it to shine just as long, and functionally, be the same, for a lot less than $98.
My blocks, shown in the pictures, are 29 years old. How would the steel ones you show, look after 29 years of mostly full time cruising, and many Pacific crossings? Even the stainless one you show wouldn't be so shiny anymore.
Okay, let's see you do it. Surely you've got $2 and 20 minutes to spare in your busy schedule between ice creams.

Here's the deal: I'll personally pay you $11 (plus shipping) for one of your home-made jobbies IF it's anywhere near the same look, strength, and specs as the following Garhauer model (just post the pic when you've got it ready):

Quote:
Single Blocks with Adjustable Shackle
25-13 US - Stainless Steel Blocks
length: 4-1/4 width: 2
weight: 5 oz shackle: 3/16
sheave diameter: 1-3/4

Comes with set screw to make it fixed shackle. Safe working load is 1150 lbs.

$21.42
That's a HUGE profit over your $2 cost, gives you roughly a $33/hr wage (a big help to your ice cream kitty), and I'm STILL saving good money. Win/Win. Then I'll order the Gerhauer as well, tie them both to a tree and see what happens when I crank on them with my Jeep.

Whaddayasay Brent? Let's do this!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-02-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2013
grumpy old man

Smackenheimer:
I can't see this happening. It'll be like me waiting for the BS documentation showing my boats have "vanished at sea without a trace" or the BS weight study. It ain't gonna hoppen. BS makes stuff up. Next move is that BS will conveniently change ths subject.

How about those Seahawks, unbeaten in pre-season. Yahoooooo!

I hope he takes you up on this. It will be fun to watch. But do you, in your wildest dreams, think BS can build a block with the same look as the Garhauer?

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-02-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

If he can make some pretty blocks I'm in. Have had several of those shiny ones blow up on me over the years. Seems the old plastic girl is stronger then the blocks. I had to go back to the original teak blocks one time when I didn't have a new shiny spare.

Maybe we could have an Ice Cream Social at Bob's place and compare blocks? I'll bring the Hokey Pokey.

PS: I need a new triple block that fits 1/2 to 5/8 line for the main sheet. The TINY pin connecting the block to the shackle has lost it's head...Thanks Schaeffer....
Brent Swain likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Last edited by aeventyr60; 09-02-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: triple block
Old 09-02-2013
grumpy old man

THE GREAT BLOCK BLOWOUT

"If he can make some pretty blocks"
This will be the kicker. I haven't seen anything BS made that I would call pretty.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-02-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

I thought a small challenge would be in order. Somthing we could enjoy while having an ice cream. Reminds me of an old ice cream ad " Are you a Licker or a Biter?

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 09-02-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Smackenheimer:
I can't see this happening. It'll be like me waiting for the BS documentation showing my boats have "vanished at sea without a trace" or the BS weight study. It ain't gonna hoppen. BS makes stuff up. Next move is that BS will conveniently change ths subject.

How about those Seahawks, unbeaten in pre-season. Yahoooooo!

I hope he takes you up on this. It will be fun to watch. But do you, in your wildest dreams, think BS can build a block with the same look as the Garhauer?
Of course he can. For cheap! He said so. And I believe he's a man of integrity. He'll do it. You'll see.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-02-2013
grumpy old man

I think he's out by the pig pen doing it now.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
The VOR is starting again. Probably has already started. Those are amazing "fragile plasic" boats.
Probably not the best examples Bob. The last time I followed the VOR there were numerous failures of rigs, keels, hulls and gear. Boats had to limp into out of the way ports for repairs, sometimes even missing whole legs of the race IIRC.

IMHO those boats should be restricted to inshore racing - they are quite simply WAY too close to the edge for deep water. They ARE "fragile plastic boats" in spades.

Remember the first Whitbread when Sayula, a stock Swan 65, got rolled 360 in the Southern Ocean and came up with her rig intact? She also went on to win the race. That's how they should be built for that environment.

Of course I doubt anyone could water ski behind her.
Brent Swain likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.