Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Thanks Bob-I've never understood why some folks don't feel the joy of watching other folks having fun. I smile to see a kid playing in the sand, or the new owner who was by the travel lift last week watching his custom yacht getting wet for the first time ( something I could never afford). It doesn't matter. There's so much sadness in the world. Enjoying someone else's joy is a blessing. In the 1700's a common greeting was "I give you joy of the day" even Maturin said it. It makes me smile.
Faster likes this.
Old 09-03-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I've had all kinds of clients. It would be really silly and shallow of me to try to lump them into generalized behavioral categories.

No, it would be ignorrant of me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

As the proud owner of an archaic wooden gaffer with home made teak blocks (and all her other parts too) I've followed the thread with reluctant fascination.Regardless of hull materiel, I often see more modern designs dragging their rudders while the center of effort and center of lateral resistance go off in different directions ,sort of like a one handled wheel barrow.(hard to steer)As for the general trend of this thread, reminds me of a rendezvous at a bar in Venezuela.back in '68. Big mamma had made her availability known . The boys at the table couldn't decide who was first. They just laid their goods on the table and Momma took her pick.Seems like that method could go a long ways to settle the pros and cons here..
Old 09-03-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Where do I send the Brent block ( as soon as the money arrives) How do I know $11 will cover the shipping?
I have a life beyond the internet( unlike some) I am cruising ( you know, the stuff this site talks about, but few actually do most of the time, while telling those who do, that we have it all wrong)
Sweet! So we're on!

First, though - you really do need work on your math. I said $11 plus shipping. That means that the shipping is in addition to the the $11 that is for the block. See? No.

Ahm, how about this...

Block: $11
Shipping: X
Total: $11 + X
X is the variable that you will provide when you have it. Then we can complete the equation.

Now do you see? No.

Man, this is hard. Screw it...

Just give me your mailing address and I'll immediately send you USD $11 (cash money) to pre-pay your BrentBlock that will be equivalent to/better than the Garhauer, then whatever else you need for shipping said BrentBlock (you can just post the cost of the shipping here when you get it - just make sure it's the cheap option) I'll send that to you as well. Then you can send me the block (I will obviously assume all the risk in the transaction).

We'll document the whole thing here so it's on the up-and-up. So make sure to ask one of your many friends to video you while you make this block to confirm the "$2/20-minute" promise. That will be awesome. AND you can use it for marketing your blocks!

Let's do it, bro!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-03-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
What will be the price tag? What I object to is the suggestion that one has to be rich, or should wait until they are rich before cruising. I enjoy giving the not so rich the option of enjoying just as good a boats, from a practical point, as the rich, and enjoying cruising as much or more, without going to all the trouble of getting rich ( and thus increasing their environmental foot print exponentially) .
If they're going to build your boat in order to achieve that dream, they need to be fairly rich...and they'll have to wait several years while they build it. This favorite argument of yours is never going to fly...ever. Try a different angle.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-03-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2013
Last Man Standing

Holy Cow! I just found a BrentBoat - perfect and rust-free, of course - actually under sail in the conditions Brent most prefers for his boats:

Ah, cruising.

Here are the lyrics to the soundtrack:

Quote:
Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Brent
A poor yacht designer who a penny never spent
Then one day hooked his rusty to a truck
And sailed across the prairie yelling "Perry's Yachts Suck!"

Steel that is. China prime. Environmental Bigfoot.

Now the first thing you know ol' Brents a hundredaire.
Floatin' in perfection with rocky road and pickled bear
DVDs said "Cruise the world for next to free"
So they loaded up a welder and moved to Poverty,

Hills that is. Rusting hulks, tow trucks…
chall03, Faster, bobperry and 1 others like this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-04-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Agricolae in agro est.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-04-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to keep up with this thread and have read as much of it as I could bring myself to.
I bought and read the BS book and had a good time reading it. While it is unlikely I will ever build or own a BS boat, unless I got divorced, I found it a great read.

I will probably scan in the whole book and add it to my Kindle for when we go cruising.
Will I ever build a BS Block or a BS windless etc. Probably not. It is kind of fun to imagine doing so however. It reminds me of a simpler time when with a few tools a guy could make anything.

It makes me feel more confident that if someday I get stuck on some outback island and break something I have a guide to encourage me to find a local fellow with a welder and have him fabricate what I need to perhaps make a weather window.

I can see anyone of a half dozen of Bret's gear designs coming in handy in a pinch.

It doesn't matter to me if it takes someone 20 minutes or a couple of hours to build a block. What matters is that it is possible and that it will do the job.

I'm more than willing to give Bret a little leeway on hyperbola in reference to how long it takes to make things and how long they last.

I just enjoy seeing the creativity of using simple cheap material to make something that works.

The value in his designs in my opinion is in re-opening our eyes to the possibilities of making functional stuff ourselves.

That is valuable information.

His passion for what he does is just an added bonus.
smackdaddy and Capt Len like this.
Old 09-04-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Holy Cow! I just found a BrentBoat - perfect and rust-free, of course - actually under sail in the conditions Brent most prefers for his boats:

Ah, cruising.

Here are the lyrics to the soundtrack:
I wonder how old the YOUNGEST person is here who knows the music to those lyrics?

Watching that video I can't help thinking - if it slides across a grassy field that easily, it must slip through the water pretty easily.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-04-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Too funny- Smack you missed your calling.

Still think I'll carry a few extra snatch blocks and a couple of no stretch lines twice as long as the longest line on my boat. Also have one extra of the main blocks for major working lines ( only spec'd two sizes to make that easier to do). Also have a couple of those new fangled low friction eyes to lash anywhere. I spec'd all the working lines on my boat to be extra long and will reverse the way they are lead yearly. They're long enough so if I see wear I can eliminate that section and replace when available. Carry fids.Time is precious. It's something you can't buy or replace. Have no interest in spending time on something I can avoid spending time on. Rather be sailing.
chall03 likes this.