Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1723Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Alright! Jeez!

What do you think of steel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013

kimbottles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Really? (just helping you out on the post count...heh-heh)
So I figured.
(7/3)
Old 09-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbottles View Post
So I figured.
(7/3)
I thought you'd see what I did there. You're smart.

I just have to be careful since I have a long line of irony-challenged forum dudes in my wake whose feelings are very hurt. The "Trolls Anonymous" program I'm in wants me to be more sensitive. So, just workin' the steps. You know how it is.

Even so, I CANNOT bring myself to use the smileys. I hate those damn things!

How many now?

Old 09-05-2013

Quote:
Alright! Jeez!

What do you think of steel?
Well I have owned boats of all materials (except ferro-cement ). There is a place in this world for all boat building materials (even ferro). Each person needs to decide what is important to them and which material meets their needs/wants the best. (I have sailed on vessels of every material including ferro. They all work.)

I have also spent quite a bit of time on both sail and power boats (as skipper and crew and passenger). I never did understand why there has to be any competition between them. I own both power and sail boats and plan to continue to do so.

The one thing I really don't understand about Mr. Swain is why he needs to belittle and slam boats different than his. He apparently builds a vessel that meets a need. Good for him. They will appeal to some people and not to others. (Just like sail boats and power boats will.)

We all make our own choices about boats and as long as WE are happy with our choices then why would anyone else care?

Cheers!

Kim Bottles
Blakely Harbor, WA
(8/2)
PCP and smackdaddy like this.

Last edited by kimbottles; 09-05-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2013

Quote:
I thought you'd see what I did there. You're smart.

I just have to be careful since I have a long line of irony-challenged forum dudes in my wake whose feelings are very hurt. The "Trolls Anonymous" program I'm in wants me to be more sensitive. So, just workin' the steps. You know how it is.

Even so, I CANNOT bring myself to use the smileys. I hate those damn things!

How many now?
Well I posted 2/8 on my last post but then had to correct it via "edit" to 8/2, so this looks like 9/1, one more and I can return to the lurking program I much prefer. As you well know I have plenty of opportunity to post on the Sliver Thread over on CA.

I am not fond of smileys either.

(9/1)
Old 09-05-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbottles View Post
The one thing I really don't understand about Mr. Swain is why he needs to belittle and slam boats different than his. He apparently builds a vessel that meets a need. Good for him. They will appeal to some people and not to others. (Just like sail boats and power boats will.)
(8/2)
That superior attitude is EXACTLY why I keep at the guy...that and his casting his means-and-ends in a light that makes very little financial or time-requirement sense to anyone but him - especially the customer base he's preaching to. I honestly don't get it.

It's like "Swaintology" or something. Everyone else can see it's really whacky...except Brent...and maybe Tom Cruise.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-05-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2013

Well he and all of the rest of the posters do make this thread entertaining to read.

There it is 10/0

Full access!!
Old 09-05-2013
Last Man Standing

Agreed!

Welcome to SN KB. See you at CA.

Old 09-05-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Many morbidly obese skippers, buy expensive blocks, to reduce the weight on deck by a few ounces. ( Yacht club logic?) They could far more easily find the source of weight on deck, by taking a look in the mirror.
Bob, your quote of Carter explains exactly why cruisers should not get their gear and advice from the racing folks, and those who cater to them, and their priorities.
Anyone who can build a boat, can build a block ( Furler , anchor winch, anchors , etc etc)
Where do I send the Brent block ( as soon as the money arrives) How do I know $11 will cover the shipping?
I have a life beyond the internet( unlike some) I am cruising ( you know, the stuff this site talks about, but few actually do most of the time, while telling those who do, that we have it all wrong)
As I point out in my book, you can judge the value of advice from what it has done fort he person offering it. If you wan to spend your entire day, telling people, who actively cruise most of the time, that they have it all wrong, while rarely cruising yourself , them Bob and Smack are your best source . If you want to be able to cruise 11 months a year from your mid 20's, then it would not be wise to get your advice from anyone who has never accomplished that. Cruising dreams suffer the death of a thousand cuts. While buying small things like blocks new, wont kill the dream, carrying that thinking thruout the project will add up to costs that definitely will, and too often has. Best nip such thinking in the bud, and treat any suggestion that the "Yotty" way is your only option, with the scepticism and distain it deserves, given how many cruising dreams it has killed.

Found an internet café, far better than the pub, where the smoke from the leper colony (Smoking section ) doesn't blow in.
Hey Brent...where do I send the $11 and my return address? I'm really excited to get this going. If you can calculate the shipping now go ahead and let me know on that as well and I'll send all of it. I assume it wouldn't weigh much more than one of your books? So maybe $5?

Old 09-05-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Holy Cow! I just found a BrentBoat - perfect and rust-free, of course - actually under sail in the conditions Brent most prefers for his boats:

Ah, cruising.

Here are the lyrics to the soundtrack:
Try that with a plastic boat and see how it makes out. You have made my point absolutely, when it comes to strength. Alex had no other options, when boat movers refused to move it out from under a high tension power line. While he got plenty of criticism for moving her this way, not a single critic had any alternative to offer. So Smack, tell us how you would move her, when not a single boat mover or crane operator would touch her where she sat?
And what would be the price of your suggested option?
Rent for the building site was $20 a month!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.