Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1632Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Pauls boat is taking him forever because it is a 57 footer, not a 36 footer, far more complex multi chine, not my single chine, and definitely not a shape I would ever design.Paul ended up married to a landlubber, and so the boat goes for months sometimes years, with nothing being done on her. Do your boats finish themselves if left out in the rain long enough?
(Abuse deleted)
I leave the lying to those who tell people it is worth their expense to pay them decades worth of cruising funds to draw pictures for them.
I only helped Clive get the shell of Nuthin Wong together,from an old Chinese design he gave me, not my design, for a trade, the rest was his department, not mine. Bob ,do you have complete control over how your boats end up being maintained and used? Nuthin Wong just spent 4 1/2 months on a reef in Panama, pounded by ocean swells, zero hull damage. How long would one of to your dainty little plastic things have lasted in those conditions.
I gave my 31 footer,30 gallons of epoxy at the outset, inside and out, along with a lot of marine enamel. All outside corners are trimed with stainless. I that the case with the other boats whioch people are complaining about maintenance on? Commercial boats often get a couple of coats of tremclad outside , zero paint inside,then complain about maintenance.
My 29 year od paint job is as good as the day I put it on, except for the odd paint chip, where I do my 2 hours year on touch up. Any time you have serious problems in the middle of a flat spot on a steel hull , your paint was not thick enough to begin with. Any time you can see the weld pattern thru the paint, it was not thick enough to begin with.
Most maintenance problems on steel boats are caused by inadequate cleaning and sandblasting of the steel and not enough epoxy over it. When a boat gets to that stage , sandblasting and at least 5 coats of epoxy tar on the outside three inside and a UV resistant coat over that wil eliminate most of the maintenace for decades.

Last edited by tdw; 07-07-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Brent I have explained exactly how you have lied over and over. Please do me the favor and in accurate quotes show me where I lied. If you can't provide the quotes the STFU.

"Nuthin Wong just spent 4 1/2 months on a reef in Panama, " I'm sure it did. Seems a common theme with your boats. You seem proud of it.

I am beginning formulate a theory as to why so many of Brents boats are docuented as spending time on the rocks.
PsychedChicken likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bobperry; 07-07-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Ouch!
My eyes are bleeding.
I think in this case a picture is better than all of Brent's words.
I stopped reading when I got ot the "finger and a bucket of water".
Yeah...because by then you were laughing too hard to read anymore...
Old 07-07-2013

Clives Time on a med reef is documented in his last book "No Fixed Address" A good read ,hard to put down. His time on the Panama reef in Boca de Toros will be covered in his next book. Or if you know anyone in Bocan de Toros, they can confirm it. A "Friend" who he left to look after her, towed it on the reef so his friends could strip her. He had to stay in Canada to get his pension in order. They only recently got her off.
I'l ask him to post the videos here when I get in contact with him again.
Bob you are a liar when you claim that a carbon fibre rudder at huge expense is a good idea for the average cruiser, when you claim that style over substance is a good priority fir the average cruiser,or you claim that you actually earn the $34000 for drawing pictures of boats , when some can buy a whole boat and go cruising for a year for less money,and you give this advice with little or no offshore cruising experience and zero hands on boatbuilding expereince. You lie when you imply that with zero experience owning and maintaining a steel boat, you know more about the costs of doing so, than someone who has owned, designed, built and maintained steel boats for 37 years. Then you follow it up with the childish, adolecent jeering of a 13 year old .

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-07-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-07-2013

Aluminium boaters have a constant struggle finding effective antifouling which wont eat their boats with electrolysis. My aluminium dinghy got so hoit in Tonga that I had to paint the back of the bottom white so it wouldnt burn my feet. Freinds living on a bare aluminium boat there had to wait til 3 am before it cooled down enough to let them sleep.
Steel has mnore rust problems above the waterline where you can se it . Aluminiumn has more corrosion problems below the waterline, where it takes you by surprise and happens much more quickly when it does.
Waterline yachts built some of the few properly built steel boats here, at horrendous prices, due to outdated building methods.
Amazons were 10 guiage plate welded one side only , and most of that weld ground off for cosmetic reasons, leaving the thickness of a beer can to hold things together, Stringers were held in one case at least, by a half inch tack every three feet. Eric and ex cop I knew, bought one on the conditioin that there be no primer put on. They primed it anyway and when he blasted it, he found very thick filler, the only thing which made her fair .
Old 07-07-2013
grumpy old man

Brent:
Chill. You are making stuff up again.

I'll say it slowly:
Provide me with the exact quote where I "lie" and then we can discuss it. I want to see the quote. Not your BS interpritation of it.

My reality is just fine. I have no need to lie. What do I have to prove? I've done it. Been there and I have so many of the T shirts.

It's Sunday night.
Steaks are marinating in a Kalbi sauce
Crabbing was good today so I will have crab on my saled and crab for breakfast. (Truth be told I like MacDonalds egg/sausage/cheese/Mcgriddle).
I am a weak man.

I don't really think I want tp spend the rest of a beautiful Sunday arguing with angry little Brent.

CBC 2 is on. Randy Bachman's show is about to begin.
I'm as happy as I can possibly be considering the light of my life is gone.
Now there was a steel worker. A true artist in steel.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-spike-forge.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 07-07-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

It's Sunday night.
Steaks are marinating in a Kalbi sauce
Crabbing was good today so I will have crab on my saled and crab for breakfast. (Truth be told I like MacDonalds egg/sausage/cheese/Mcgriddle).
I am a weak man.

Oh its all good Bob.Any kimchi and have you tried the bacon chalupa from KFC?.Its a weapon of mass destruction.
Old 07-07-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Peoples .... please stop the "liar" business. Claim specific statements are untrue by all means but don't call others "liars".

Do carry on.

Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-07-2013
grumpy old man

Jak:
I love kimchee. I have a client who is married to a Korean gal, Bokhee. He sister makes kimchee. He radish kimchee is marvelous.

I have to admit that stuck up here at the shack my lunch menu is minimal. So,,,I buy Top Ramen. I know, I know, but if you add some green onions left over meat (anykind) some brocolli, spinach and a big wad of kimchee on top along with some Chinese chili paste it can be quite satisfying.

I am a simple man.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-07-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Love Kimchi in all its varieties. Korean family opened a restaurant just down the road from us a couple of years back and it has become a Wombat stamping ground.

I flew Korean Air last time I went to Europe and if you get a touch peckish in the middle of the night they'll bring you a bowl of Bipimbap. How good is that ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett