Not a Member? 

Like Tree1682Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
A handy trick for entering a harbour at night, is to find a light beam shining on the water, from the direction you want to go. Follow the light beam and if there were anything between you and it ,it would show up clearly.
Makes sense..

My brother just returned from a cruise on his 25' Ranger Tug to Alaska from Everett.

He said that he saw a lot more logs in the water in the BC waters than in U.S. waters.

Different regulations, I guess

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Brent:
Get this straight, if you can:
I just design boats. I do not look into the finances of my clients. If they can pay my design fees than they are fine with me. I am not judgmental about how my clients make their money. I do not question their motivation and I am not judgmental about how they plan to enjoy their yachts. I just design yachts. Isn't that enough?

In order to own the yachts they want my client have to be well heeled. It's just part of the yachting program. Nobody ever said yachting was cheap.

My custom boat clients all have a lot more money than I have. But I am friends with all of them. One of them just called me today to check in. They are good people. Being wealthy does not make you evil.

You have your customers and I have my clientèle. Isn't that good enough.

"Bob , you are the poster boy "
There you go with your angry name calling again.
I suppose I could be angry. The dogs would hate it. Hell, I'd hate it. I'll leave being angry to you. You seem to like it.

I'm relaxing this afternoon. I designed a tiller head fitting for FRANCIS LEE this morning. It will be a bit expensive but it will look good on the boat. I enjoyed doing the drawing. I like designing details.

"ship swindlers and their gigilos are spreading. "
Gosh, we are going to get a lot of BS name calling tonight. You seem quite angry.

Me? a winery? Not quite but I'd do like wine but not cheap wine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 09-11-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I once hit a sunken bulldozer at hull speed, in Christmas Island lagoon . Zero damage .
Hey this is a new one.

Hull speed? It's pretty hard to do any damage to anything at 1 knot. How did you know it was a bulldozer? You leave one hell of a trashy wake, dude.

As for the block, take your time. I definitely don't want to impinge on your cruising. Just tell me where to send the money and we'll get that part out of the way - then I'll trust you to make it in the next 2-3 months. No demands at all.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-11-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Bob
Most of my steel hulls are as fair as any of yours, without the need for a drop of filler. Zero humps or bumps, Show me a fairer steel boat with zero filler. There are none.
And you call me a liar? Where does that leave your credibility?
Old 09-11-2013
grumpy old man

Denda:
What kind of planes do you build.
One of my clients had two GlassAirs (sp). One had fixed gear and the other retractable. He also flew his own Citation jet. I did a nice 69'er for him. BS would have hated this guy. Lived on a golf course and didn't play golf! But he was a good guy and he treated me very well.

He crash landed his Citation into the water just off the beach on Whidby Island. He swam away from that landing.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-11-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey this is a new one.

Hull speed? It's pretty hard to do any damage to anything at 1 knot. How did you know it was a bulldozer? You leave one hell of a trashy wake, dude.

As for the block, take your time. I definitely don't want to impinge on your cruising. Just tell me where to send the money and we'll get that part out of the way - then I'll trust you to make it in the next 2-3 months. No demands at all.
Ever been to Christmas Island? After the nuclear tests of the 50s, they left the lagoon full of all kinds of garbage , jeeps, bulldozers, scrap metal , etc. etc. Its a real junk pile. So are the beaches in the lagoon.
Old 09-11-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Denda:
What kind of planes do you build.
The really big passenger planes that test fly over your house some times.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 09-11-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
For anyone wanting feedback on my designs , a client ( Andy Deering) had his letter published in the June issue of Latitude 38.
Latitude 38 Letters - June 2013

He gives some interesting conclusions after 60,000 miles cruising the Pacific , from the Southern Ocean to the Aleutians. I think with that kind of experience, he knows a lot more about my boats that any armchair expert with near zero cruising experience, siting in a chair , juggling numbers. I think he nails the source of the problem.
I would welcome the input of Andy on this or any other forum. I would definitely challenge this statement though, Andy:

Quote:
I guess it's no surprise that he has been banned from several boatbuilding sites. Why? Because he challenges the status quo.

Most of these so called 'experts' are armchair designers who've never built anything — let alone built and lived on their designs, cruised the oceans with them, and maintained them for decades on a budget. Folks like Brent are a threat to their businesses, and banning his input is their answer to that threat.
I've been around for a few of Brent's bannings, and have come across a few more - and I can absolutely say those bannings had very little to do with him simply "challenging the status quo" - and more with things like insulting the family of those he disagreed with (like happened here).

So, Andy, though your letter is written like an exact copy of Brent's posts, I'll assume he didn't ghost write it for you and would love to hear about your real experiences in terms of cost, time requirements, etc. involved in building and maintaining a BrentBoat.

Oh, and how many containers and rocks have you hit?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-11-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Ever been to Christmas Island? After the nuclear tests of the 50s, they left the lagoon full of all kinds of garbage , jeeps, bulldozers, scrap metal , etc. etc. Its a real junk pile. So are the beaches in the lagoon.
Nice. Sounds like the kind of paradise only a steel boat could get you to.

Old 09-11-2013
grumpy old man

"Most of my steel hulls are as fair as any of yours, without the need for a drop of filler."

If you really believe that Brent you are blind. In fact I'm not even going to think you DO believe that. It is preposterous.

"these so called 'experts' are armchair designers "
I have to admit Andy has the BS name calling thing down pretty good.

What I think is happening here, from my perspective is that while I have zero trouble with the home builders of the BS boats who cruise on a shoe string, BS has a problem with the lifestyle and cruising style of my clients. I don't know why. There has to be room for both.

I can hear a lawn mower. It's Chris my lawn guy mowing my lawn. I like to have my lawn mowed and edged. It looks all manicured and nice.

I had a client once, I'll call him Daryl, because that is his name. He had a fabulous yard very beautifully landscaped with many fancy bushes and trees, He would have a couple gardeners come in every Saturday morning early and they would spend the morning working on Daryl's yard. I was over at his house one Saturday morning and Daryl said, "I love to wake up and hear the servants at work." I thought that was really funny. Daryl enjoyed paying for the best help he could get and he was generous. He would come to my office on Wednesdays and sit by my side while I worked on his design. I considered myself one of Daryl's "servants" and I didn't mind that at all. I was a very good servant. It was a bit of a problem with the sequence of my work but Daryl always brought his checkbook. He was having fun.

When I finished the design for Daryl he said, "OK, now I see how this works. Let's start from scratch but we'll make it bigger this time. If I built this first design it would be like marrying my first girlfriend."

Then Daryl spent about a million dollars at Jespersens getting a very beautiful alu boat. Brian Ryley did the alu work. It was superb. Everyone was happy and no one called any one any names. It was pleasant, adult experience.

I just realized that I don't even have an "armchair" so why does BS keep calling me an "armchair designer"? (OK, I have two but I almost never sit in them.) He does make things up. He likes to fib. For the record, I design sitting on my FENDER guitar seat and it's not very comfortable. I sort of perch on it. But when I relax I sit in a rocking chair, have for years. So to be accurate I am a "rocking chair designer" or a "Fender seat designer".
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-yoni-sp.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-yoni-s.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 09-11-2013 at 07:15 PM.