Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Is Tartan 27 good for intermediate sailor?

Actually they point pretty well, just not very fast, but where they loose out is on reaches where more modern designs are much faster. They are actually pretty fast dead down wind with thier masthead spinackers and their Centerboards raised.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2006

chuckg is on a distinguished road
You may want to read a book call "The Coast of Summer" about a couple who cruised the Cape and Islands around Southeastern Mass on a Tartan 27. The author's name is Anthony Bailey and used to write for New Yorker magazine, but it offers plenty of good information of the positives and shortcomings of this particular boat. From the vast majority of owners, it is a true classic plastic boat with pleasing looks, somewhat tender with a tendency to hobby horse in a seaway.
Old 01-20-2011

Vetterr is on a distinguished road
A boat that you could consider is the contessa 26 , it is about 6000-12000 $ usd for a good condition one. Also Alberg 29 and 30's are nice , the 22 is a little tight but nice .
Happy boat hunting.
Cheers,
Vetterr
Old 01-21-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Besides for the fact that this is a 10 year old thread and the fellow bought the T-27 and really enjoyed it, and that he has not been here since August 2001, his goals were a good coastal cruiser. He was concerned that the T-27 did not offer enough performance, especially up wind or enough room to live aboard for the summer (from another thread). So a boat like the Contessa 27, which is extremely cramped down below would not be a reasonable suggestion. An Alberg 30 or 29 offers slightly more room, but does not point as well as a Tartan 27. An Alberg 22 makes less than zero sense failing on all counts. And a Bombay Clipper does not sail worth a darn and and was not constructed as well as the Tartan so would make no sense except for the live-aboard aspect. I would suggest that if you are going to make suggestions, that you try to keep them more germane to the context.

Jus' say'n

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-21-2011

GBurton is on a distinguished road
You forgot to mention the "welcome to sailnet" Jeff
Old 01-21-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
I would look at a simlar boat, Cape Dory 27 or 28.
The CD 27 will outsail the T 27. There may be a higher price on a CD 27.
They do retain value if maintained. I'm not a fan of Keel/center board boats.
The construction of CD is better over all. One is for sale up in Winterport.
Old 01-21-2011

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
For anyone inyerested in this 10 year old thread, the Tanzer 27 which they built in early 80's was made from a Paceship 26 (1973) mould. Personally I like these boats and feel you should be able to find one at a good value price and they are a fine boat to begin with. Though I prefer the fixed fin the centerboard edition would make sense in some areas.
Old 01-21-2011

First off I feel like I owe Vetter and Dulce Suema an apology. I am sorry for snapping at you both.

I did want to address Omaho's comments:
In terms of the comparason of the Tartan 27 to the CD 27, I would like to hear the basis for saying that the Cape Dory will outsail the Tartan 72. I have not seen any reason to believe that to be even remotely true. Besides for the Tartan 27 typically rating 21 -27 seconds a mile faster than the Cape Dory 27, the Tartan will outpoint the Cape Dory by quite a bit. In terms of ease of sailing, the Cape Dory 27 is comparatively tender and develops a wicked weather helm in a stiff breeze. While the Tarten will develop a bit of weather helm as well, you can 'trim' that out with the centerboard resulting in a nicely balanced boat that still points well and makes minimal leeway. Even in terms of motion comfort, the Tartan has one of the nicest motions in a chop of any 27 footer of that era that I can think of. I have always been impressed by it. The Cape Dory not so much, tending to be a real roller and pitcher.

While the Cape Dory 27 does have a much nicer looking interior, and certainly a better offshore layout than the Tartan 27, it is not as livable an interior if the goal (like the OP) is a summer liveaboard. In terms of build quality, S&S was one of the first design firms to begin to understand the need for internal structure, smaller panel size, limiting flexure, resin ratios, and upping the ante on material handling methods. And Tartan had evolved from a company that built one-design race boats. The construction methods and engineering on the Tartan 27 were quite sophisticated for that era and the typical hardware and deck layout was first class for the time. By any objective standard, in comparason the Cape Dories were pretty crudely built.

Lastly, I don't know why you personally are not a fan of keel centerboard boats but I would suggest that this is a great way to go for a small cruising boat offering shoal draft, and as compared to most liong keel boats, typically offering much better performance all around.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaho5 View Post
I would look at a simlar boat, Cape Dory 27 or 28.
The CD 27 will outsail the T 27. There may be a higher price on a CD 27.
They do retain value if maintained. I'm not a fan of Keel/center board boats.
The construction of CD is better over all. One is for sale up in Winterport.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-21-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I just love it when Jeff_H gets riled up! Especially when he is defending my old Douglas & McLeod built, S&S designed Tartan 27'.
I saw that this thread got revived but decided to try and be a better man and not take the bait. I figured that SailingDog would be along to remind everyone that this question was asked 10 years ago (about the same time we bought T27 #328).
There are lots of different boats available in the 27' range out there to choose from; each with it's own set of compromises, proponents and detractors. I know that we all tend to "love the boat you're with" and I am no different; I love my Tartan 27'. Hell, if I'd bought a 12' styro-foam Sea Snark 10 years ago I'd probably love that too, ungainly and un-seaworthy as it might be.
Ten years ago my research turned up that the Tartan 27' was akin to the Cadillac of production FRP boats in it's day. I've learned quite a bit more since then. It may well be one of the first FRP production keel boats made in this country with around 700 hulls made from the early 1960's through mid 70's. The design firm of Sparkman & Stephens was a class act at that time and made some great innovations on the award winning boats they had built prior to the T27. There still are a large number of T27's being sailed by happy owners (we have over 300 members in our T27Owners yahoo group).
We actually race our old shoe T27 in a PHRF fleet. Even though our nearly full keel does not point as high as most of the boats in our fleet and we have a shorter water line then most we actually won our Weds. night series sailing against the likes of Catalina 30's, Tartan 30's, and a Cal 28' & P30 among others. I can tell you that it was not because we are brilliant strategists. We won because we showed up for almost every race and the T27 has her own tricks for keeping up with the newer, lighter, "better designed" boats. I'm not sure the new designs are "better"; they are merely newer.
One of the problems with these internet forums is that anyone can post a message and in a sense we all pass ourselves off as 'experts' when we are merely posting our subjective opinions. I'm sure these latest boat suggestions to this now (nearly) dead thread were made with the best of intentions. However, over time it is possible to see who is just throwing out an idea and who (if any) really knows there stuff. I believe that Jeff_H posted on this thread way back in 2001 if anyone can read back that far. Jeff_H is one of the (few) people here who really do know a lot about the merits of different boat designs.
Now, if anyone had suggested a Pearson 30' instead I doubt that Jeff_H would have taken exception as much as he did.
joebeach likes this.

Everybody has one:

Old 01-21-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
"By any objective standard" "Cape Dories are crudely built." Thank you JeffH for settng me straight on this. You are man of much knowledge.
I wlll not expound on this any longer. This is so ONLY because you are so easily angered. That said , you shuold do some more homework.
Try comparing both on "Sail Calculator." They are so similar in strict numbers
that there is no point in further debate.
Control the ire and seek help.