Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Lash Me To The Mast Before I Buy A Boat!

Julie,
Aura is a beautiful boat. Looking through the listing the previous owner put a LOT of work into her (mostly done by yards). The bulkheads are a big job, but do-able if you read up on it in advance and practice on a couple of small epoxy jobs first to learn about using epoxy and glass mat.

It comes down to how comfortable you are tackling something like this. If you are I'd say go for it.

That said epoxy fumes are no joke. Make sure you have fans going and the boat is well ventilated.

I'm guessing you've pretty much decided buy her. This is NOT the place to come to get talked out of buying a boat.

Best of luck with her,
Jim
arf145 and JulieMor like this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 11-22-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

So Julie, the "good" is the Interlux bottom paint? That bulkhead rot looks really ugly. Is leaking to this extent common amongst all Sabres? Obviously, you will want to do carefull moisture readings on the weather decks. My guess at only looking at this one photo, there is a whole lot more work needed than meets the eye. My experience is nothing is not repairable given enough time, money and resourses. The question is: "Is it worth all that for you?".
Old 11-22-2012

macswift is on a distinguished road

Of course you'll have to buy it, just so you can suffer like the rest of us...
JulieMor likes this.
Old 11-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I'll check out the Yahoo site. Thanks!

The woodwork on this doesn't concern me. It's the fiberglass. From what I've read and heard the rotted knees can be cut out and replaced. I can do that. But then it all has to be bedded in with fiberglass. My biggest concern is making sure the bedding is bonded to the existing structure. That, and not dying from the epoxy fumes!
Fiberglass work is way easier than woodwork. If you can wallpaper, you can fiberglass - in fact I find glass to be EASIER than wallpaper - you don't have to match seams perfectly.

Core work is really no more difficult than making a peanut butter sandwich.

Epoxy fumes aren't a problem - they are much less than polyester. The problem with epoxy is if you get it on your skin over a long period of time you can become sensitized and will get rashes from it. Careful work and ALWAYS wearing plastic gloves will alleviate that problem.

The biggest thing with glass work is to work neatly so you minimize any grinding or sanding - that's the nasty part.

You go girl.
Faster, chef2sail, CalebD and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-22-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I don't know why all you sissies are bitching about epoxy fumes. If you've ever worked with polyester resin or gel coat you'd know that epoxy smells like a spring afternoon by comparison.
A little ventilation and careful work habits make working with epoxy pretty straight forward. I know that our Julie will do her best to be very careful - she is a safety maven at work remember.
She can start out by reading the West Systems Use Guides: WEST SYSTEM | Use Guides
More advanced techniques involve using various plastics and even very thin plywood for molds. The less sanding you have to do to finish your work the better and your nose will thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Fiberglass work is way easier than woodwork. If you can wallpaper, you can fiberglass - in fact I find glass to be EASIER than wallpaper - you don't have to match seams perfectly.

Core work is really no more difficult than making a peanut butter sandwich.

Epoxy fumes aren't a problem - they are much less than polyester. The problem with epoxy is if you get it on your skin over a long period of time you can become sensitized and will get rashes from it. Careful work and ALWAYS wearing plastic gloves will alleviate that problem.

The biggest thing with glass work is to work neatly so you minimize any grinding or sanding - that's the nasty part.

You go girl.
Faster and JulieMor like this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 11-23-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Sabre's are a great boat. If this is one of the older ones be sure to have it checked for sabre rot....
what is sabre rot?
Old 11-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Julie - if you are concerned about glassing in structural pieces like knees for tangs, get a copy of "This Old Boat" and/or "From a Bare Hull". They both have details on the process. Also, check out "Lackeysailing.com". Tim Lackey restores and customizes GOB's and does VERY nice work. He recently did knees for tangs on a Tartan 34 and it's detailed with lots of pics.

Buy the boat and put it in a shed for your Chi-town winter - it'll be as nice as your workbench by spring.
JulieMor likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-23-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
what is sabre rot?
Take a peek @ picture 2.

When leaks go unchecked on these boats for years, the wooden components
rot away like a car sitting in a field after a N.E. winter.
Bulkheads, floor stringers & cabin soles make up the structural integrity of these boats.
Old 11-23-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

It's the old cliche, you have money or time but rarely both.

I have time.

I don't know I'll buy this boat. I can. And I don't have to take out a loan. But I'm not basing what I will do on what someone else would do. What I really do appreciate is reading what warning signs I need to look for. And many here have been provided and I've learned a LOT! Thank you!

So far it seems the Volvo Penta engines from that time period had no heat exchange systems. They were cooled directly from whatever water the boat sat in, and in this case, that's salt water. In 34 years, salt water can do a lot of damage.

And even if it is an enclosed system, what condition is the engine really in after 34 years? Can fluid analysis really provide those answers? I don't know, but I will try to find out.

More than anything, I don't want to end up with a boat that has endless problems. I've been through that. But that is something no one can guarantee.
Old 11-23-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
......I don't want to end up with a boat that has endless problems......
You may not want to start with one, but you will end up with one.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.