Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Lash Me To The Mast Before I Buy A Boat!

Known issues with chainplates/bulkheads and an old RWC Volvo... as MS indicated several posts back.. there's no need to burden yourself with those issues. Far better to spend a bit more and enjoy sooner....

JMO, of course, but in todays market it's hard to justify picking up a beater.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Remember when your friend married that loser? Ruined both their lives, didn't it. Jumping into the wrong boat is like that, even if the entry comment is 'I can fix that'/
Old 11-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
a boat that has endless problems.
That statement is a redundancy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
the entry comment is 'I can fix that'/
It's taken me a LOOOONG time to smarten up about that one. Being capable of doing it is different than being able to get it done.
chef2sail, Minnewaska and JulieMor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-24-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Being capable of doing it is different than being able to get it done.
I know that one!

My doctor nagged me for three years to build him this dining chandelier. I gave him all sorts of excuses why I couldn't. It was far too complicated. Well beyond my abilities. It will cost too much.

He ignored my excuses.

Finally I decided to to start the project. I took some figured maple and padauk and then made one minor error that required rebuilding almost the entire thing. Then I called him and said, "See? I can't do this!"

He calmly said, "Sure you can. I don't care what it costs. I want you to build it and I know you can build it."

I was humbled. I started from scratch and with the things I learned the first round began once again. For the next several months I forced myself to continue on. With each step that I finished, mistakes were more costly. I feared making mistakes yet I loved every success.

When I finally finished it and installed it in his home (one of the toughest fixture installs I've ever done) he just raved. That was almost two years ago. Every time I go in to see him he just gushes about the fixture. That it brings him so much joy is worth all the frustration and aggravation building it.

This is a collage I did of the installed fixture with some of the photos I took during the build:

The lights are LED strips and on a dimmer.

Had my doctor not continued to nudge me (pushing doesn't work cuz I push back) I doubt I would have ever finished. I have projects in my workshop and house that attest to that. So the bigger question regarding any work I can do is will I reach a point where I get tired of the work? That's something only I can answer.
Old 11-24-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I know that one!

My doctor nagged me for three years to build him this dining chandelier. I gave him all sorts of excuses why I couldn't. It was far too complicated. Well beyond my abilities. It will cost too much....

...When I finally finished it and installed it in his home (one of the toughest fixture installs I've ever done) he just raved. That was almost two years ago. Every time I go in to see him he just gushes about the fixture. That it brings him so much joy is worth all the frustration and aggravation building it...
Gee, think of all the sailing you missed out on while doing that!

I'm not being sarcastic - that's the way to connect that experience with your selection of a boat. You will undoubtedly get a huge amount of pride out of all the major projects that you accomplish on your boat. And if you can manage the time to do them in the off-season, that's great. But if things come up during prime sailing season - especially safety issues that cannot be delayed - they will take away from your sailing time.

That's the classic issue when deciding on an older boat. Not "what can you do," but "how much are you willing to do?"

Your doctor is clearly very grateful to you. But don't forget that it was your frustration and aggravation (and paycheck) that led to his joy. With this boat, you will have to balance your frustration and aggravation vs. your own joy. That's a much better and more important decision to make.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-24-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Believe me, if I had the money, I'd buy the newer, turn-key boat. But if this boat looks like too much work or too costly to make safe, I'm walking away. No regrets.
Old 11-24-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Believe me, if I had the money, I'd buy the newer, turn-key boat. But if this boat looks like too much work or too costly to make safe, I'm walking away. No regrets.
You've probably heard this before, but just in case:

Be wary of false economies. Although an older boat may cost less when you make the initial purchase, the ongoing work takes your time (as discussed above) and can also have a significant cost for the materials. And in the end, when you are ready to sell, even after all that work and money, you'll probably get about what you originally paid for the boat. Although nothing is certain, it is possible that spending more up front could cost you less in the end because maintenance and repairs are less. You've just tied up more money during the time you own the boat.

If you need to save money, one option is to go newer and smaller. That will bring your total cost of ownership down. That's what I did, after looking at boats as large as 36'. But my situation was also different because I decided to sail closer to home, where the waters are narrower and more protected, so a smaller boat fit the area better.

Your situation may be different. And you have the huge advantage of having a lot of mechanical/electrical skills and experience, so for you the risk of going older/larger may be more tolerable.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-24-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

If you can look at a labour of love project like an older little fiberglass boat with potential , why not consider a real project . Like a wooden classic ( over 40 ft). Something you can really get your teeth into (clenched) Messing with boats can and will turn your crank and tear your hair but for real pride it takes a loonggg relationship with dryrot and lemnoria. Anything less is just another glass boat at the dock. Huyuk!!
Old 11-24-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Putting the motor aside.

Harry on the yahoo sabre list has rebuilt the floor stringers/cabin sole on his 34 & has spent $1,500 on material. I've replaced the bulkheads, floor stringers & put a new plywood floor down & have spent $1,200 on material. Material in itself isn't very expensive, it's the time.

I haven't kept track of the man hours on the project nor do I want to
I'm lucky, the boats at home so I'm not paying storage fees