Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Aft head boats

Yes.. the only significant change below on the MKIIs (MKI shown above) was to enclose the aft berth and move the nav stool around to the inboard side of the table on a swing-out. No need to change what is/was arguably the best family cruising layout in that size range..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Opposite of the aft head, and also pretty neat - the bow head. And it includes a shower. I've never seen one of these but it seems like a neat option to create the largest open space possible in a 25' boat.

Old 12-03-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The problem with forward heads, aside from distance from the cockpit, is that that's generally the area of the boat with the greatest motion, making using the head underway a proposition that might require seatbelts!

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 12-05-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The problem with forward heads, aside from distance from the cockpit, is that that's generally the area of the boat with the greatest motion, making using the head underway a proposition that might require seatbelts!
Yep - close hauled north of Hawaii, boat cleared a large wave, I cleared the seat by at least a foot, but came down where i should.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-08-2012
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

We have a 1986 Pearson 28-2 with an aft head. I like the layout, it makes for a large open main cabin and also makes it easy to run down and use the head when sailing. The interior is sort of like a Dana 24, just bigger and with a huge (for a 28' boat) quarterberth cabin.

As someone mentioned it also makes maintenance and access to the systems pretty easy. The holding tank on these boats is located in the cockpit lazarette and a short piece of tubing away from the toilet. Electrical systems are also mostly aft on these boats and everything is pretty easy to access.

The boat sails nicely too, although I'd call it a coastal cruiser, not a bluewater boat. There is no skeg for the rudder and the keel is bolted on.

Ask me next summer how it does for extended cruising for a couple, I have 6-10 weeks of cruising planned in WA and BC.

Here is the 28-2 interior, you can see that it is sort of like the 33-2 interior just with a bit less storage:

Last edited by Alex W; 12-08-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

The Sabre 362 has an aft head with a full shower enclosure. One of the many reasons I like the model.
Old 12-08-2012
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Yep - close hauled north of Hawaii, boat cleared a large wave, I cleared the seat by at least a foot, but came down where i should.
Ouch... Now that's a bruise I (don't) want to see!!

Old 12-08-2012
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
We have a 1986 Pearson 28-2 with an aft head. I like the layout, it makes for a large open main cabin and also makes it easy to run down and use the head when sailing. The interior is sort of like a Dana 24, just bigger and with a huge (for a 28' boat) quarterberth cabin.

Ask me next summer how it does for extended cruising for a couple, I have 6-10 weeks of cruising planned in WA and BC.

Pearson always did nice renderings of their boats for their ads in the magazines and brochures..

What's the boat name? We'll keep an eye out for you next summer.

Old 12-08-2012
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

My 28-2 is currently named Elena and it is moored at Shilshole Bay in Seattle. We may do a renaming ceremony before next summer's trips, but we haven't come up with the perfect name yet.
Old 12-08-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post

As someone mentioned it also makes maintenance and access to the systems pretty easy. The holding tank on these boats is located in the cockpit lazarette and a short piece of tubing away from the toilet. Electrical systems are also mostly aft on these boats and everything is pretty easy to access.

The boat sails nicely too, although I'd call it a coastal cruiser, not a bluewater boat. There is no skeg for the rudder and the keel is bolted on.

Here is the 28-2 interior, you can see that it is sort of like the 33-2 interior just with a bit less storage:
I really like that a lot. Better than the J-28 in some ways because it's got the aft cabin and my favorite, the curtain separation between the v birth and saoloon which further opens things up.

It's great to have those accommodations in a boat that 'small'. What a huge upgrade that would be in accommodations compared to my Contessa but with only a 2' increase. Sometimes it's too bad I love the old boats.