SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Aft head boats

33K views 77 replies 34 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 ·
I will be sailing my Bristol 27 for while yet. However, in looking for a boat that we may someday cruise in, I have been attracted to designs with the heads located aft. Just wondering what 'classic plastic' bluewater boats in the 30-38' range have that arrangement.

Here are a few:

Pacific Seacraft 31
Niagara 35

#3 ·
I actually like that layout as well although I have no real experience with it. It seems to me it'd be nice to step down and immediately be able to hang wet gear in the head rather than going up front. Best suggestion is to poke through yachtworld and look at pictures. A search here should find a thread or two I recall. It seems to be more of a euro thing as I know quite a few Jeaneau and Benateu boats have them as well as some Catalinas and Hunters. Not so sure about classics though, it seems to be a relatively new thing.

#4 ·
The aft head layout is by far the best one in my experience. It usually has better headroom, frees up the best part of the boat for better uses, often uses less useful space - putting the head partly under the cockpit for example, permits more variation in the layout, helps to concentrate the through hull fittings, has better access from the cockpit, makes a useful wet locker etc. etc.

#5 ·
Why does the aft head appeal to you? Better access from cockpit? Privacy?
I like the idea of having all the bussiness stuff near the cockpit. Head, wet locker, galley, chart table. For boats on the 30 foot end, headroom may be an issue forward of the mast. I understand that heads that are too far forward become somewhat of a bucking bronco in rough weather.

#17 ·
I understand that heads that are too far forward become somewhat of a bucking bronco in rough weather.
They are. You do not need rough weather, just big seas. And it is worse if you are close hauled.

#6 ·
One reason why older boats of that size won't have an aft head is the beam was not carried aft under the IOR rule. So the Quarter starts narrowing off very quickly and the head on one side would bump into the galley on the other.

As the racing rules changed and the beam was brought right aft the production boats followed (not the other way around as some suggest). Production boats have stopped at the current beam where racing boats have kept on going to now ridiculousness lengths.... Of beam ;)

Also, of course, as the beam got wider the aft waterline got a lot longer, lower, so none of those narrow sterns that some people adore and I can't figure. But that also means the aft head needs to be higher in the old boats.... But didnt the old toilets need to be below the water level?

As builders say everything is a compromise.

But I do know that an aft head is better for those reasons you describe.
Our first family boat had the head in a cut out of the V berth! Mum and dad had to bail out whenever we 3 kids wanted to go!

With my boat having two heads, fore and aft but only one user (me!) I have the ability to use both... But I normally use the aft head unless at sea then I use the fore head. The aft is bigger but the pump forward worked better at sea.

#7 ·
Irwin 38 CC has two heads, one aft as part of the master cabin. The boat is wider there so you don't wind up having to squeeze past anything to contrive the space to make one.
It just makes sense.

On the other hand when the going gets rough, the ride does also.

#8 ·
Our last two boats (vds34 and Malo39) have had aft heads and I'd not choose to go any other way. Gives you a good place to dump wet stuff , you don't have to drag your sorry wet arse through the boat to get to the bog and they seem relatively comfortable compared to up front.

Being at other end of boat from shore cabin is something of a fartless advantage as well.

#10 ·
The later versions of the mid-to-late 80s Ericsons had aft head layouts, they could go on your list. E32,34,38 among them.

#14 ·
Our Benny 361 has the head right at the base of the companionway steps.
"Classic Plastic"? Don't fit that bill. But she is a great coastal cruiser.

#15 ·
Jeanneau's from about 82 on have options for aft heads. The smallest that I know of are in the 27-28' deck length range. Arcadia is 28 on deck, hard to find, built from 84-86, sun dream 28 same hull, different deck for a couple of years, then named a sunway 28 for 2-3 yrs. 1000 or so total of these hulls. Size on par with a catalina 28, but 20-30 secs a mile faster, no shower/hot/cold water.
Attalia is 30' LOD, built from 83-88 or so, over 1000 of these built. Fairly common here in the states. again, no amenities as many boats in this range of yrs did and did not have.
If you can go to 36', the sunshine, a Tony Castro design as the Arcadia is, it has 2 and 3 cabin version.
There is another in the 34' range that at this time typing, I am not remembering the name. Of these 4 80's models, the Attalia and Sunshine models are most common.

Here is a review of the Arcadia, HERE is listing of many Jeanneau reviews.
Marty

#16 ·
Actually, Ericson built several models with an aft head layout. They were all 80's models, AFAIK.
Ericson 32-200, E-34 (80's model), E-38-200, Olson 34.

We have the O-34, and really like having the head and it's own hanging locker right adjacent to the companionway. We also have a forward-facing full-size nav table.
We do lack the number of lockers and tankage of the 80's Ericson models, though. Our boat is a very fast cruiser, but then... like, you know... everything's a compromise. :cool:

Like some other posters, I would strongly advise you to look first at quality and basic engineering, as not all the sail boats out there are constructed to the same 'offshore scantlings'. If you are going into open ocean for days of self-sustained offshore sailing/voyaging, pick quality first.

Happy Hunting!

#18 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. There are some great possibilities to look at.

Like some other posters, I would strongly advise you to look first at quality and basic engineering, as not all the sail boats out there are constructed to the same 'offshore scantlings'. If you are going into open ocean for days of self-sustained offshore sailing/voyaging, pick quality first.
Agree. In the end, head location will probably be down the list a bit compared to other factors. Because, seriously, do I want to tell people I picked a boat because of where the crapper is?

#19 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. There are some great possibilities to look at.

Agree. In the end, head location will probably be down the list a bit compared to other factors. Because, seriously, do I want to tell people I picked a boat because of where the crapper is?
I actually consider that to be an important consideration.

On a single head boat, I would prefer it to be along the centerline and aft.

On a two head boat, they need to be on opposite sides.

I have a rather extensive list of what I like on boats. Head location, orientation and size on on that list.

#20 · (Edited)
Yep I also think this a great layout for all the reasons mentioned. The OP said 30+ but I've tended to "browse" boats more in the <30' range. Here are a few off the top of my head:

Shannon 28
J-28
Compac 27
Dana 24

Although I'm usually drawn to the more classic full-keel type boats the J-28 in particular has always struck me as a uniquely practical boat. In nearly every practical way it would be a huge step-up from my Contessa but only 2' extra length and upkeep dollars..

(You can't actually see the head in these pictures...)

#24 ·
It is actually 27" LOA. It is 24' on deck.

#26 · (Edited)
I will be sailing my Bristol 27 for while yet. However, in looking for a boat that we may someday cruise in, I have been attracted to designs with the heads located aft. Just wondering what 'classic plastic' bluewater boats in the 30-38' range have that arrangement.

Here are a few:

Pacific Seacraft 31
Niagara 35
  • The Pearson 33-2 (as has already been pointed out by ereiss)
  • The Pearson 34-2
  • The Pearson 36-2
  • The Pearson 37 (aka the condo-boat)
  • The Pearson 38
All of the above are mid '80s to early '90s vintage

• The Catalina 34
  • The Catalina 36 - see correction below

Not sure of the Catalina vintages though...

#27 · (Edited)
Scanmars. Kyrie Elite (Feeling) boats, 29+.

ETA: We may convert our Albin Ballad to aft head, when we gut and rebuild the interior. Our thinking, besides the usual advantages, goes something like: it's a small 30'er. There's really no need for a second sink, and no room for two stools. Soooo.... since this model comes with an aft-facing nav station at the companionway foot, and since a nav station requires a seat... why not make that seat the head? That would also let us put the holding tank in the portside cockpit locker. It's currently under the V-berth. Lovely smell. Share thru hulls with the galley, and one step brings you to the galleysink. We'll have to mock this up in OSB to see if it works, but the idea of slogging all the way forward to crouch in a head the size of a dishwasher carton -- it doesn't appeal. Nice if the on-watch person had everything in one place: nav, comms, pooper.

#28 ·
Scanmars. Kyrie Elite (Feeling) boats, 29+.
The Elite 37 head is forward ( and a rough ride offshore, I know)

The Elite 364 head is aft and has a great wet locker.

#29 ·
A slight correction.. The Catalina 36 never had an aft head, even in the mk II version

#30 ·
You are correct.... I thought that I looked at a C36, but was mistaken.

Here is the C 36 layout:

No aft head.

#31 ·
Yes.. the only significant change below on the MKIIs (MKI shown above) was to enclose the aft berth and move the nav stool around to the inboard side of the table on a swing-out. No need to change what is/was arguably the best family cruising layout in that size range..

#32 ·
Opposite of the aft head, and also pretty neat - the bow head. And it includes a shower. I've never seen one of these but it seems like a neat option to create the largest open space possible in a 25' boat.

#33 ·
The problem with forward heads, aside from distance from the cockpit, is that that's generally the area of the boat with the greatest motion, making using the head underway a proposition that might require seatbelts! :eek:

#34 ·
Yep - close hauled north of Hawaii, boat cleared a large wave, I cleared the seat by at least a foot, but came down where i should. :eek:

#35 · (Edited)
We have a 1986 Pearson 28-2 with an aft head. I like the layout, it makes for a large open main cabin and also makes it easy to run down and use the head when sailing. The interior is sort of like a Dana 24, just bigger and with a huge (for a 28' boat) quarterberth cabin.

As someone mentioned it also makes maintenance and access to the systems pretty easy. The holding tank on these boats is located in the cockpit lazarette and a short piece of tubing away from the toilet. Electrical systems are also mostly aft on these boats and everything is pretty easy to access.

The boat sails nicely too, although I'd call it a coastal cruiser, not a bluewater boat. There is no skeg for the rudder and the keel is bolted on.

Ask me next summer how it does for extended cruising for a couple, I have 6-10 weeks of cruising planned in WA and BC.

Here is the 28-2 interior, you can see that it is sort of like the 33-2 interior just with a bit less storage:

#38 ·
We have a 1986 Pearson 28-2 with an aft head. I like the layout, it makes for a large open main cabin and also makes it easy to run down and use the head when sailing. The interior is sort of like a Dana 24, just bigger and with a huge (for a 28' boat) quarterberth cabin.

Ask me next summer how it does for extended cruising for a couple, I have 6-10 weeks of cruising planned in WA and BC.

Pearson always did nice renderings of their boats for their ads in the magazines and brochures..

What's the boat name? We'll keep an eye out for you next summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.