Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
I saw the boat on yachtworld. Lots of pictures of it (including the antique graph) and overall it looks like a pretty good size project. I'm guessing you'll have plenty have plenty of man-hours invested by the time you get it shining.
No doubt, but I'm not afraid of boat work if it brings her back to life and it makes sense financially (in boat terms!). If the deck isn't too bad it looks like some paint, varnish, instruments and upholstery will go a long way. Looked at a Ericson 38 years ago with a new Yanmar. Asking price was 15K (the motor was worth 15K). The owner had started several hair brained projects and not finished most of them. I would have needed to gut the boat and start over. I easily could have put 30K into the boat (plus the 15K) and a LOT of time, and would have had a boat that I could have bought for 30K Elsewhere (with a older, serviceable motor). Didn't make sense.
This boat appears to be just the opposite. The owner simply didn't do anything, including maintenance. At least he didn't screw everything up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Have been restoring mine for a few years now. I can give you specific feedback on almost anything regarding the fix-up. The 20 hp is a bit light. I have a 3GM30 and it is just about right as far as amount of HP. I believe the original Atomics were also around 30 Hp. With a boat as old as these are, be prepared to replace lots of stuff.

The mast steps typically leak down into the balsa core and cause the glass around the step to deflect as the balsa crushes. Fixing this is a given with these. The more serious problem is whether the header which is wrapped with teak, is rotten. The bulkheads that support the header also rot (ask me how I know:-) Replacing the header and bulkheads is a major job and probably a reason to walk away if you cannot do it yourself. Taking on the restoration of one of these can be prohibitively expensive if you can't do the work yourself.
L124C likes this.

Last edited by smurphny; 11-29-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That's because they are really a 24' boat - on the waterline. 1.5 feet less W/L and a foot less beam than your O'Day 30.

Looking at boats from an LOA view is, or can be very misleading - W/L and Disp. are a much more valid basis for comparison of "size".

Those beautiful overhangs cost a lot in dockage.
24' under sail at 0 knots only
Old 11-29-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Turbo! LOL 20 hp for a 24ft boat there you go!

owners group http://alberg35.dlinkddns.com/Alberg35/index.php

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 11-29-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2012

Quote:
That's because they are really a 24' boat - on the waterline. 1.5 feet less W/L and a foot less beam than your O'Day 30.

Looking at boats from an LOA view is, or can be very misleading - W/L and Disp. are a much more valid basis for comparison of "size".

Those beautiful overhangs cost a lot in dockage.
It's my understanding that the "beautiful overhangs" combined with a narrow beam also improve sea kindliness (read a review by an owner who says sometimes he goes into a wave and and is convinced they will get hammered, and the A35 simply floats over it, though, "hobby horsing" can be an issue), and light air performance (LWL is short until she heels and it extends). However, this requires that she be rather tender, and sacrifices living space, both not popular by modern standards.

Last edited by L124C; 12-01-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

As a side note, if you can find out the RPM where your engine produces maximum torque, that is also the RPM where you will get the best fuel economy under load - ideally your prop should be pitched to run at that RPM at hull speed.
Can you expand on that? Maximum torque and hull speed doesn't intuitively make sense.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 11-30-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
It's my understanding that the "beautiful overhangs" combined with a narrow beam also improve sea kindliness (read a review by an owner who says sometimes he goes into a wave and and is convinced they will get hammered, and the A35 simply floats over the it, though, "hobby horsing" can be an issue), and light air performance (LOA is short until she heels and it extends). However, this requires that she be rather tender, and sacrifices living space, both not popular by modern standards.
I haven't sailed much or recently on an Alberg 35, but I do recall that the boat behaved in a similar manner to other Alberg designs I am more familiar with: the boat was tender. In any kind of real breeze she would heel 15 degrees or so. This is of course necessary to take advantage of those beautiful overhangs and lengthen the LWL, increasing the hull speed significantly. Its hard to remember now, but the original purpose of those overhangs was to "beat" a racing rule (the CCA rule) that assigned a handicap based partially on waterline length. With a very short measured waterline, boats with overhangs actually beat the rule by having their practical waterlines (the boat length once heeled over) outperfom their predicted rule-bestowed handicap. The A35 wasn't designed as a racing boat, but the CCA rule influenced just about every sailboat built back then.

Once over on her ear, the A35 would stiffen up nicely and go no further, but it was easy to put her in that state in the first place. And she would track like she was on rails. And that weather helm! Holy mother of god that boat would pull to weather something fierce. It took some fancy sail adjustments to make it so the wheel was comfortable to handle. Not a particularly weatherly boat either, and whoever said they don't perform well in light air also hit the nail on the head. I don't mean to say the boat sails like a dog; she doesn't. The A35 was an able performer for her day, and can still give you great pleasure. I just don't think its a good choice for someone who sails regularly in light airs, or who wants to race. Its a fairly wet boat that requires some physical stamina to sail (you try heeling at 20 degrees for several hours at a time in a boat with strong weather helm). That's perfect for some people and not so much for others.

And do not try to back that thing up under power for the first time in a crowded marina. My friend with the A35 said it required a great deal of practice before he could control the boat in reverse well enough to feel semi-comfortable backing out of his slip.

That all being said, the A35 is just a gorgeous boat. A well-maintained Alberg boat is going to draw looks of admiration and envy wherever you go.
L124C likes this.
Old 12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
The mast steps typically leak down into the balsa core and cause the glass around the step to deflect as the balsa crushes. Fixing this is a given with these. The more serious problem is whether the header which is wrapped with teak, is rotten. The bulkheads that support the header also rot (ask me how I know:-) Replacing the header and bulkheads is a major job and probably a reason to walk away if you cannot do it yourself. Taking on the restoration of one of these can be prohibitively expensive if you can't do the work yourself.
Thats why the water marks on the header trim and the warped door concerned me. In my brief inspection, it appeared to me that the the header is supported by framing members and that the bulkhead was more of partition. Is this true?
This issue is one of the reasons I wish Alberg had gone with a Keel stepped mast. Without getting into the keel vs. deck step issue, given the age of the design and the style of the boat, that puzzles me.
Old 12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Once over on her ear, the A35 would stiffen up nicely and go no further, but it was easy to put her in that state in the first place. And she would track like she was on rails. And that weather helm! Holy mother of god that boat would pull to weather something fierce. It took some fancy sail adjustments to make it so the wheel was comfortable to handle. Not a particularly weatherly boat either, and whoever said they don't perform well in light air also hit the nail on the head. I don't mean to say the boat sails like a dog; she doesn't. The A35 was an able performer for her day, and can still give you great pleasure. I just don't think its a good choice for someone who sails regularly in light airs, or who wants to race. Its a fairly wet boat that requires some physical stamina to sail (you try heeling at 20 degrees for several hours at a time in a boat with strong weather helm). That's perfect for some people and not so much for others.
How does a boat track well and have excessive weather helm at the same time? Seems like a contradiction in terms. Don't mind heeling, but if I couldn't tune out the weather helm with sail trim or reducing sail (nothing "fancy"), that would be a problem. Heading up occasionally in a gust is fine, but you shouldn't have to fight weather helm for hours. Surely Alberg knew that!
Old 12-02-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Thats why the water marks on the header trim and the warped door concerned me. In my brief inspection, it appeared to me that the the header is supported by framing members and that the bulkhead was more of partition. Is this true?
This issue is one of the reasons I wish Alberg had gone with a Keel stepped mast. Without getting into the keel vs. deck step issue, given the age of the design and the style of the boat, that puzzles me.
That's why I mentioned it. Those water stains may indicate that water has penetrated through. Once water gets into the bulkheads, it has no way out and saturates the plywood, eventually rotting it out. There is a large laminated header over the door. It is wrapped with 1/2" teak. Its strength comes from the two posts which form the door jamb and the bulkhead structure. The clear span is actually quite short. The mast wires are also BURIED in there and virtually impossible to access. When I re-glassed solid under the step, I removed that asinine, inaccessible in-mast plug set-up and ran all my mast wires over the deck, into the port dorade box. Now I can access all the wiring which runs right into a new terminal block in the head. A keel stepped mast would be right in the middle of the v-berth door.

Weather helm IS an issue with these. I have a Norvane steerer and have to be very particular as to the amount of sail and trim of sails. The halyard must be good and tight, with no stretch and the belly of the sail has to be moved forward. I have a Cunningham which makes a big difference in moving the c/e forward. She will balance out but you have to reef early, at about 10 knots to avoid excessive rounding up on puffs. A lot of these boats, like mine, have huge mainsail with a big roach and, of course the 160 genny. They were designed for club racing in light winds and are not too useful for cruising in any kind of wind. I just sewed up and beefed up a much smaller main (by about 40 sq'), dumping the hump and shortening the foot. Some day I may actually shorten the boom as some people have done on the A35.
L124C likes this.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-02-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.