Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012

brob76 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

+1 for Kiwigrip. Went on quite easily and seems pretty durable after one season. Looks great too and better footing than any molded non-skid I've seen. On Auriga, the original molded non-skid had worn down to where the pattern was barely noticeable. Maybe you're seeing the remains of the original non-skid...or maybe someone did some re-core work. You never know on these old boats.

The mid-boom preventer made me nervous too. With a boom that long, there is a good chance of it bending, or worse, snapping if you dunk it. That's what I like about the brake. I had a nasty unintentional jibe last year and the brake gave even though I had it tensioned down pretty well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I've had the Kiwi on for three years now and it's still looking good. Singlehanding, the primary consideration for me was the grip. I painted down around all the rounded corners and sloped areas to minimize any slippery spots. The only place where it shows any problem is where some of the gel coat crazing is "spidering" through in a small area where the core was not replaced. I just got a quart to do some touch-up next spring. The stuff also blends in very well after repairs as I found out after removing the balsa and re-glassing solid under my mast step. Up in the bow where anchoring activity takes place constantly, it has held up remarkably well.

There really seems to be no avoiding an occasional unintentional jibe. The safety factor alone in at least slowing down the boom from taking your head off is worth having some kind of brake in place. The boom swings about 1" over my head, not much room for error!!

Last edited by smurphny; 12-06-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-06-2012

olmoose is on a distinguished road

Well Greetings Forum Friends, I guess this is as good a time as any to introduce myself. My first post and another confirmed Alberg 35 owner and lover.

I have hull #11 and it was (reportedly) built in 1961 by the Pearson Brothers prior to their founding Pearson Boats. I have owned her for around 9 years now and have done some racing and some offshore cruising but primarily weekend sailing getaways. It was professionally restored at great expense by a PO over 15 years ago. It is now somewhat "long in the tooth" and will require more attention, but not for safety or seaworthiness, non-skid excepted.

I find the sailing qualities excellent. Having said that, it was an acquired skill to learn her idiosyncrasies having sailed other in theory more modern designs. The full keel and rudder design do require some learned technique. I find myself now able to sail her (single handed) as I did my other more modern vessels. I plan accordingly and always sail with a clean bottom. I never plan on backing into a tight quarter and when I back I try to use momentum and remain in neutral. I usually sail onto and off of my anchor.

My Wife and I spent several months cruising Bahamas with her and I confess my love of this vessel is not shared. She would much prefer a larger yacht. I find myself treating her like a piece of fine furniture and dote excessively. Hence my comments regarding the non-skid. I have all but scrubbed it off!

For me her beauty lies in her simplicity. I do have refrigeration, modern Yanmar 3-GM, manual windless and a chart plotter. Not much else. Not much to work on or break down. Modern self-tailing winches help me single hand, but rigging still resides at the mast. Mine is a tiller and I use a simple electric linear drive autohelm (of which I keep a spare).

I guess my intro is running a little long! Oh well, my opinion (and we all know about opinions) on the Alberg 35 (as a species, not a comment on any particular vessel) is this. For the money; you will not find many vessels as seaworthy, fine sailing, well constructed with beautiful lines as the Alberg 35.

And, Hi all!
Olmoose
L124C likes this.
Old 12-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Great to hear from you Olmoose. Maybe we can revive the A35 forum here. The A35 owners website seems to be permanently ignored by the person who is supposed to maintain it, so there seems to be no official on-line meeting place as of now. #11 IS an oldie. Does she still have a wooden boom? Mine is a 1967, #273 and I WISH I had a manual windlass.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-06-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2012

olmoose is on a distinguished road

Yes, wooden boom but I am slab reefing it (VS Rolling). Agree about the A-35 Forum, Tom I guess has been busy or lost interest.

Funny thing about the windless, I rarely if ever use it. Even when off shore with 200' chain I found that pulling up the anchor afforded me the workout I needed. Obviously with a strong blow and long fetch it requires some assistance.
Regards,
Olmoose
Old 12-06-2012

brob76 is on a distinguished road

Auriga has an aluminum boom from Metalmast. I'm not sure if it was a retrofit or came from Pearson. I have an old Simpson Lawrence manual vertical windless and about 200' of chain. I usually pull it by hand as well but it comes in handy when the wind and tide are strong.

I would love to get an active forum going. There is an Alberg 35 Yahoo group that I assume was started by Tom. If you haven't seen it, here's the link: ALBERG35 : PEARSON ALBERG 35. It's unfortunately rarely active. Tom has actually posted a bunch of updates on his own refit but it was in a corner of the site that was hard to find. Here's the link: 1965 Alberg 35 Tomfoolery - Hull 212.

I own a web development/hosting company so I would be happy to set up and host a forum if there is enough interest.
HDChopper likes this.
Old 12-06-2012

Sic Semper Tyrannis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob76 View Post
Auriga has an aluminum boom from Metalmast. I'm not sure if it was a retrofit or came from Pearson. I have an old Simpson Lawrence manual vertical windless and about 200' of chain. I usually pull it by hand as well but it comes in handy when the wind and tide are strong.

I would love to get an active forum going. There is an Alberg 35 Yahoo group that I assume was started by Tom. If you haven't seen it, here's the link: ALBERG35 : PEARSON ALBERG 35. It's unfortunately rarely active. Tom has actually posted a bunch of updates on his own refit but it was in a corner of the site that was hard to find. Here's the link: 1965 Alberg 35 Tomfoolery - Hull 212.

I own a web development/hosting company so I would be happy to set up and host a forum if there is enough interest.

That would be something I set up a while ago....it is underutilized.

EVERYONE here sign up please!! I'd love for it to be bigger and more useful!!
Old 12-07-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

I'm with you on the morning workout! Hauling my 45# anchor and 60' of 3/8" chain by hand is always a great way to start the day UGH.

Philyria has one of those useless roller booms. I slab reef but like the boom because it is a hefty chunk of aluminum. The roller mechanism is a waste. They were a bad idea from the git-go. Am seriously considering shortening the boom by about a foot and have actually recut a cruising main to fit a shortened boom. Once my big, battened, roached main is worn out, the next new one will be on a shorter boom.

I've been on the Yahoo group site but few people seem to use it. It would be nice to have a good official A35 site where details of projects and boat-specific info. could be shared. I see a lot of A35s on the water and can't believe the interest is not there if a website were maintained.

Nice job on the Tomfoolery pages! The core job looks Soooo familiar!

Last edited by smurphny; 12-07-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I'm with you on the morning workout! Hauling my 45# anchor and 60' of 3/8" chain by hand is always a great way to start the day UGH.

Philyria has one of those useless roller booms. I slab reef but like the boom because it is a hefty chunk of aluminum. The roller mechanism is a waste. They were a bad idea from the git-go. Am seriously considering shortening the boom by about a foot and have actually recut a cruising main to fit a shortened boom. Once my big, battened, roached main is worn out, the next new one will be on a shorter boom.

I've been on the Yahoo group site but few people seem to use it. It would be nice to have a good official A35 site where details of projects and boat-specific info. could be shared. I see a lot of A35s on the water and can't believe the interest is not there if a website were maintained.
Did Pearson go from wood to aluminum booms? If so, when?
What is the advantage to going with a shorter boom over simply reefing early and having the extra sail for light air?
Regarding owners sites: Yankee made less than 140 Yankee 30's (my boat)before they went out of business, most of which are still sailing. I've found the owners site next to useless, do to lack of participation, and have derived much more value from Sailnet. On the other hand, I'm envious of the Erickson owners site. They were very helpful with a Ericson project I was looking at. So, I guess there is strength in numbers! As I understand it, The A35 is the same boat as the A/E 35 with the exception of 500 pounds less ballast and the coach top design on the Ericson, so it might be a valuable resource. I think they would welcome you. Very active site, great people!
Old 12-08-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

I don't know when they started with aluminum booms. If the wood booms actually weight over 100#, it was probably a good idea. The aluminum boom weighs maybe 60#. The reason people are shortening the booms is because of the weather helm issue but you are absolutely right that doing it would also lose the square footage for light air. These boats were competitive in their day and were used by a lot of club racing so they were maxxed out to specs as far as sails go. My mast still has the luff marks that indicated maximum luff length to meet race measurements. Something else to mention to folks thinking about an A35 is that they are slow as molasses compared to modern designs. That said, I remember one day heading over from the CC Canal across the bay when some of the more modern designs turned tail as the waves got larger. The old A35 took 'em in stride. I had waves breaking into the cockpit at times but she never missed a beat.

Sailnet is a great resource but there seem to be few people who ever access the Alberg thread. I see Alberg 35s wherever I go. There are still many in service. There are individual blogs and it's easy to web search for info but a central location to create a database of projects, what works and doesn't (such as boom shortening) and useful information as well as reviews on equipment, etc. would be helpful. The question above about when the boom changed would likely be available.