Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Story of my life...It's too big!

Asked the seller why he went with a 20hp motor. He replied that he bought a 27 but it "wouldn't fit in the hull" so they went with the 20. Hard to believe that with all this space (gotta love the access!) they couldn't make a 27 fit.
He claims 20hp is plenty, especially since it's a diesel (there is that diesel vs. gas hp thing again). Yet, he also said he didn't think he was using the extra hp with the A4 anyway. Not that it matters, she's got 20hp and that's that. But it does throw the credibility of the claim that 20's plenty into question.
Would have made more sense if he said, "We never used all the power from the A4, so we decided on 20hp for the refit.
Conditions could be benign during a sea trial and it might be hard to determine if she's under powered.
You guys buying the "wouldn't fit" excuse?
Edit: After I posted this, I decided to post the same question in the diesel forum.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel...tml#post959197
Attached Thumbnails
Looking at a Alberg 35-1125121047.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 12-09-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2012

brob76 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

The 27 would definitely fit. That's the same engine I have in Auriga. Beta and Universal both use the Kubota D1005. I have plenty of space in the engine room to work. From the picture it looks like they kept the original engine beds and put some aluminum bar to accommodate the extra width of the mounts. It would have been much better to cut out the engine beds and glass in new beds the proper width. Looks like the aluminum is lag bolted to the engine beds which is not a good idea either. Would have been better to through-bolt steel angle or something of the sort. I doubt shaft length was an issue as someone suggested on the diesel forum. Looks like there is room to move the mounts fore or aft on those aluminum plates. That was probably the largest engine they could get on those original beds. I've seen an A35 with a 35 hp engine so engine room space is not the issue.
L124C likes this.
Old 12-09-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

There is room for a much larger engine but the old engine mounts need to be cut away and new, wider mounts glassed in. It's a pretty big job. That's probably why they went with a smaller engine. Kinda like the tail wagging the dog
L124C likes this.
Old 01-02-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

Noticed that the shower drain on the boat in the OP simply terminates under the shower pan as the photo shows. In the boats drawings, I see that it is supposed to drain to a sump. I guess that as shown in the picture, the water simply runs around the water storage tank, to the bilge.
I assume the seller was not using the shower, especially given the fact he has not seen fit to even install a auto bilge pump in the boat!
In any case, were did the original sump drain, and is it necessary?
Attached Thumbnails
Looking at a Alberg 35-space-under-shower-v-berth-pipe-drain.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Mine's the same way. There was what looked like the remnants of a shower sump pump down there but it's so inaccessible that it's just not a good place for one there under the shower base. Mine is piped w/ 1-1/2" right to the bilge next to the bilge pump. Works fine. If there were a bunch of people using it on a regular basis, it would probably need some sort of screen.