Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Blue Jacket 40 (new racer/cruiser)

Blue Jacket Yachts was recently formed as a collaboration between Bob Johnson from Island Packet and Tim Jacket, formerly of Tartan and C&C. Their first design is a new "performance cruiser" called the Blue Jacket 40. I've personally never been a big fan of these compromised hybrid designs, but I think the story is compelling given Bob & Tim's partnership and experience.

I recently posted about the project on my blog, including an interview borrowed from Blue Jacket featuring both Bob and Tim's perspectives on the new design and company. You can read it here.

Any opinions on Blue Jacket Yachts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: Blue Jacket 40 (new racer/cruiser)

IP boat building skills married to TJ's designs seems like a good combination. I'm not sold on twin wheels on a boat of this size, but that's another issue.
Old 11-30-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Tough market to break into. The performance cruiser market is crowded with the high-end being owned by J-boat, and the volume leader/value play being Beneteau First Series. However, if they start winning distance races/rallys or being competitive in PHRF racing, then I'll get excited about this partnership.

Jacket's old company (Tartan/C&C) could have been considered part of the performance cruiser market too. But we all know how that story ended when they pushed the envelope too far on engineering methods.
Old 11-30-2012

If I were an Island Packet owner, this line would send me scurrying for the hills:

"Different manufacturing technologies (infused composite hulls and decks, carbon fiber components, etc.) introduced with the Blue Jacket line may eventually find their way into Island Packet construction if deemed appropriate"
Old 11-30-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

It looks so much like a Beneteau that if I didn't know its for real I'd think it was a joke.

Have they produced one yet?
Old 11-30-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Blue Jacket 40 (BJ40) Performance Sailing Yacht | BlueJacketYachts.com
Take a look from the side. It looks nothing like a Bennie and will probably sail circles around one. This is not a floating condo!
Old 11-30-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Here's PCP's original post on the boat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Big surprise: Island packet is going to launch a series of performance cruisers. They will be called Blue Jacket line and will be designed by Tim Jackett (ex-President and Chief Designer at Tartan and C&C) in collaboration with Bob Johnson (CEO and Chief Designer at Island Packet).

The first one is already on its way to production and even if in what regards cabin design I find the boat too classic, not to say old fashioned, in what regards hull design and technical characteristics I love the boat.

Well, the keel could be more modern and efficient (it is similar to the one on my boat) but in what regards all the rest it looks perfect to me. In fact it is very close to the Comet 41s in what regards weight, ballast and hull design. It fits on the Italian way of looking to performance cruisers.

A relatively narrow boat with a good B/D a deep draft (2.30) and a big stability that is the opposite in design conception of the also new Tartan(and the CC121). I like a lot more this one.

Well, there are some things I don’t like: The traveler over the cabin and only one winch on each side of the cockpit that will have to be used for the mainsail and the genoa, but I believe that could be changed if clients ask otherwise.

Technical Characteristics
LOA: 39’ 10” (12.14 m)
LWL: 35’ 0” (10.67 m)
BEAM: 12’ 4” (3.76 m)
DRAFT: 7’ 5” (2.29 m) deep
5’ 2” (1.56 m) shoal
DISP: 16, 500 lbs (7,484 kg)
BALLAST: 6, 100 lbs (2,767 kg) deep
SAIL AREA: 883 sq ft (82.03 sq m) (100% FT)
MAST HEIGHT: 62’ 6” (19.05 m)
POWER: 40 HP (30 kW)
FUEL: 40 US gal (151 l)
WATER: 110 US gal (417 l)
WASTE: 25 US gal (80 l)
SA/D: 21.8
D/L: 172
DESIGNER: Tim Jackett w/Bob Johnson, N.A.

They say about the boat:

Sailplan and rig:
The large sailplan is a further refinement of the Solent style rig featuring standard double head sails with a working jib and a lightweight 150% reacher that mounts on the integral bow prod, both furled with Harken® systems. The working jib is fitted with a carbon fiber Hoyt Boom® that is self-tending and improves performance with its close sheeting and self-vanging feature while the large reacher boosts performance in light air or when off the wind. The fully battened mainsail is equipped with a standard electric halyard winch and a low friction Battcar system and drops easily into a carbon fiber pocket boom with an integral cover and lazy jack system.

This easily managed rig has ample horsepower and versatility for optimizing performance in a wide range of conditions. All sheets lead to the cockpit near the helm and primary winches for short-handed convenience.
On deck:
On deck, anchor handling has been simplified and made especially convenient with a cleverly designed roller recessed in the bow prod providing secure stowage of the anchor and directing the rode to the anchor locker with a (optional) below deck electric windlass that keeps the deck and profile uncluttered. A deck hatch gives access to this area. Wide side decks with full length raised bulwarks, double lifelines, bow and stern rails and cabin top handrails provide security on deck.

The large cockpit has deep coamings, long seats and twin helm stations with great visibility and ready access to all sail control lines. Seat hatches provide access to storage areas and a (optional) central drop-leaf table makes for a great social area. Hinged transom doors open to the integral stern platform with a retractable swim ladder under a central hatch.

Materials used:
The Blue Jacket’s hull and deck are made with a state of the art vacuum infusion process utilizing 100% vinylester resin, quadraxial knitted E-glass reinforcements and a structural foam core. The end result is superior strength and stiffness with significantly reduced weight compared to conventional laminates. …

The use of premium structural foam coring produces better interlaminar bond properties with freedom from potential core deterioration compared to other choices and allows for an industry-best extended hull and deck warranty.

http://www.bluejacketyachts.com/

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 11-30-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Blue Jacket 40 (BJ40) Performance Sailing Yacht | BlueJacketYachts.com
Take a look from the side. It looks nothing like a Bennie and will probably sail circles around one. This is not a floating condo!
You're kidding right? Beneteau's may be a lot of things, but *NO ONE* calls the First line "slow". First series Beneteaus bring home hardware.

This...looks like a porky island packet that put on a mask (a plumb bow) and some new shoes (a bulb deep keel) and now is going to go to the ball as a speed demon...doesn't make sense to me.

Self tacking jib...and is that a boom furler? (*EDIT* - I stand corrected - its a batt-car/lazyjack system) Not many true performance cruisers would go with that equipment. Even with fancy sails and the new underwater profile, this is going to be slow unless those epoxy vacuuming methods of manufacture really really reduce weight. It may be faster than an Island Packet, but an Island Packet 420, by comparison has a base rating in the mid-140s (thats slow for >40 feet of waterline).

I do have to commend them for not cramming a second head into the boat. Although instead of a 3rd cabin, I'd like to have seen more storage/lazarette space. Racing means sail changes/wet sails...who wants to store that in a sleeping cabin and get the upholstery all wet/moldy!

Last edited by night0wl; 12-01-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2012

Anyone know the pricing range yet? Base and sail-away?
Old 12-01-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Tough market to break into. The performance cruiser market is crowded with the high-end being owned by J-boat, and the volume leader/value play being Beneteau First Series. However, if they start winning distance races/rallys or being competitive in PHRF racing, then I'll get excited about this partnership.

Jacket's old company (Tartan/C&C) could have been considered part of the performance cruiser market too. But we all know how that story ended when they pushed the envelope too far on engineering methods

Never considered a Tartan a racing cruiser. Thats a Jacket wannabe.( I am not denigratuing tartans as they are standup boats now, and were before Jacket was involved with running the company)

There are racer ( performance) cruisers...and there are cruisers
PHRF for 40 footer

J120- 48
C&C121- 63
Sabre40- 69
BeneFirst12m 69
Tartan40 102

While this Blue Jackett will probably address Island Packets notorious slower boats image and certainly be an improvment as long as their are no quality issues, I still wouldnt put it in a category as a racer cruiser. Great attempt to reincarnate/ rehabilitate Jacketts image by having him paired with a reputable name like Island Packet. Lets hope they marginalize him out of the customer service aspects of the company so they dont follow his previous lead at Tartan which almost ruined a very repurtable brand.

I concur with Paulos commments and would add, Placement of the jib tracks outboard and the hoyt self tacking jib are nolt seen on asny other racer cruiser I know. Dont think the solent system is etiher. C&C is a masthead rig...this blue jacket isnt to windward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-01-2012 at 06:38 AM.