Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Hunter 28.5 versus Allmand 31

Clay, can you point me to your pics? Would love to see your Allmand.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Huge difference between 28.5 and 28. 28.5 is preferred. First I am not a huge Hunter fan as their build quality is not there except in Cherubini designs. Modern ones appeal to people who place high priority to accommodations and set up inside. They have a defiantly following and get people into sailing ar a good price pont so they occupy and important section of he market. The 28.5 head is draconian small. Sit in it and close the door. Get your tp before you sit or you are sh..t out of luck. I am not a fan of the cabin set up with the small forepeak. The B&G rig will give you trouble going downwind in setting te main against the spreaders. Ok light wind bat. Good for Barnegat Bat but will get te crap kinked out of it in higher winds. All mand 30 s abetted boat in size, weight, beam and sailing ability.

Te choice comes own to how it was treated and weather te issues can be addressed easily.

Be Very careful buying any boat tat was in Sandys path that it wasn't damaged by the storm

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-02-2012

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road

Hello, Jim.

I see my husband joined in your discussion on the Allmand Sailboats. They used to have a web page but it no longer seems fully functional (Allmand Sail Dedicated to bringing Allmand owners together). The gentleman who was the moderator was named Hank Green and if you go to the site, you may have better luck than I in getting it to function. The Allmand 31 is a delight for gunk holing. Shallow draft, roomy cockpit with an aft cabin...

It appears from the photos of the boat you were looking at that the overhead foam rubber and its associated fabric has been removed. That is a HUGE job. We then insulated our vessel using the pink foam boards that can be cut with a knife and glued to the hull. We then covered that with the pierced vinyl and I sewed the cover to fit the hull. Then we had a finish carpenter do strips to cover the tack strips so the finished product was pretty professional.

What you bring up is that the vessel is leaking....Any boat that has water intrusion from the deck and port holes is surely getting saturation into the balsa core. We had one spot up on the bow where we did have that happen at the anchor chain pipe. It took all sorts of long tools to reach back into the layers of glass where the core was degrading. For us we were lucky since we could take glass strips soaked in resin and pack it back into the space back to the good core. The normal repair for saturated core is to remove the deck and redo it. That should set off all sorts of bells in your head. A dry boat is a very good thing.

My statement is that a cheap boat can cost you more in the long run. If you like the look of the Allmand, do look at others offered for sale. Do visit other sales sites and I will bet you will find others for sale. We have never purchased the first of any vessel we looked at. Visit other boats listed when you find the style you like. Boats can vary greatly from boat to boat not only in the attention owners have paid to care but also to the equipment they have added. It still seems like a buyers market. Use it to your advantage. Trust me....there will always be another vessel.

Good luck to you and your family.

Leslie

s/v Tango, Cabo Rico 34
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD
Old 12-02-2012
Asleep at the wheel

Leslie,
Thanks for the detailed feedback! Do you have pictures of the headliner install process, or at least before and after pictures of it? Do you remember what you paid in materials?

Your comments about the leaks are exactly what my concerns were, too. I think I may take another trip out there this coming weekend and bring my father along, focusing on the potential problem areas. If it still seems to pass muster, then maybe we'll see about a survey. Believe me, I'm ready to walk away if she's scary - I've seen many other "value priced" boats that scared me. I'm reasonably handy, but I want something I can sail in the spring, not a 3-4 year project. When we bought our C25, I must have looked at 10-15 boats in person, and close to 50-100 online. Most of the ones I visited were too much of a project, even for me. The Allmand seems like a borderline case.

Chef, thanks for the reply about the comparitive strengths/weaknesses of the boats. We're more "comfort" sailers, so we're probably right in Hunter's target market. But I'm concerned enough about safety to want something that will be good if an unexpected storm pops up. Granted, on Barnegat bay, we could practically walk to safety if the boat sank. But still, as I said in the original post, I'd like a boat that I can take out in the ocean if/when the mood strikes me and know we're likely to be safe.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 12-02-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately Leslie's pix are no longer available...

Projects

..an interesting perspective from a Sailnet moderator..

ALLMAND 31

..who's never owned one..
Old 12-02-2012
Asleep at the wheel

I read that thread a while ago. I tend not to trust overly negative posts from non-owners. For all I know, the person at the helm of the Allmand was someone like me, who would have a hard time getting a sunfish to move in light air because I'm still learning.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 12-02-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Joan (Trisail) from that post bought our boat. The Allmand can be seen at Spring Cove marina in Rock Hall,Md.
Old 12-02-2012
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks! I'll have to see if she has any pictures on here.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 12-03-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Jim,

I kept an Islander 28 on Barnegat for 6 years . You get good onshore afternoon winds there. Stayed in Dillons Creek Marina. The hunter bathroom is ridiculously small if you are looking for comfort. Also the lack of V berth seperate from setees wil make it feel cramped. Also you mention buying a boat to take in the ocean, hunter vs Allmamd = Allmand all the way. Also Barnegat Inlet in the afternoon, are you serious trying to come in a an 18 hp 2 cylinder. Rethink that. That inlet s one of the most dangerous with breaking waves across it as well as a 4 knott current.

Understand I come in the inlet unless poor conditions on my trip to and from the Chesapeake every year o the LI Sound. I ave done Barnegat over 100 time. You don't want o. Be underpowered through it. It's a very dangerous inlet.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-03-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2012
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks. I've asked the listing marina if I could speak with the owners. I'd like to know what issues they know of before I she'll out the cash for an inspection/survey. I saw something that suggested they tried to sell her before, about 2 years ago. I know she has been available since at least May, and I don't think she splashed at all this past season.
1975 Albacore 15